Odds are, you probably already have a drill, so why should you invest in a drill press?
For starters, a drill press is far more accurate than a handheld drill. Perfect for carrying out repetitive drilling operations, a drill press will allow you to complete woodworking projects more efficiently and with greater precision.
The best drill press for woodworking will depend on the type of work you want to do. For example, if you typically take on large projects that require more height capacity, a floor drill press might be a better choice for you than a benchtop drill press.
We have put together our favorite drill press reviews and go over each of the models in our roundup below, but for those of you in a hurry here is a quick comparison of the drill presses in our review:
To help you choose the right tool for your specific needs, we’ve reviewed the five best drill presses for woodworking available.
The WEN 12-inch variable speed drill press is ideal for the home handyman looking to improve the accuracy and precision of their work. The drill delivers equal torque throughout its entire speed range, which can be set anywhere between 580 and 3200 RPMs.
For additional accuracy, a spindle travel of 3-1/8” with a locking linear depth stop lets you repeat the same exact drilling operation as many times as you need to.
The adjustable cast iron worktable measures 9-1/2 x 9-1/2”, and a table roller extension adds up to 17 inches of support for the piece you’re working on. Other features include a 5/8-inch keyed chuck, cast iron base, and beveling worktable.
Reasons to buy:
- Easy assembly: This variable speed drill press practically comes ready to use right out of the box. With easy-to-follow instructions, assembly is a breeze – you can have it up and running in less than 20 minutes.
- Mechanical variable speed: The WEN’s variable speed feature makes it easy to adjust the drill’s speed without having to manually move belts. With the turn of a lever, you can target an exact speed between 580 and 3200 RPMs and see the number displayed on the digital LED readout.
- Laser precision: A bright onboard work light and accurate laser ensure maximum drilling precision.
- Powerful motor: The WEN’s 5 amp induction motor can handle a variety of materials with ease, including wood, metal, and glass.
- Manual tilt adjustment: To tilt the table, you’ll need to manually loosen a nut. While the drill comes with a wrench for this purpose, some people find this extra step to be an annoyance, especially if you need to change the angle frequently.
- Infinitely variable speed ranges from 580-3200 RPMS. Mechanical variable speed delivers equal torque throughout the range. LED read out displays speed.
- Spindle Travel of 3-1/8" with easy to read, locking linear depth stop for accurate and repeatable drilling operations. Front to the back of the motor is 22 inches
- Quill diameter of 2.17 inches. Durable 2/3hp induction motor develops ample torque and power. Motor: 120 V, 60 Hz. Laser Module: Class III
- 9-1/2 x 9-1/2" cast iron worktable features rack & pinion height adjustment and bevels up to 45 Degree left & right. Width with the handles: 14-1/2"
- Includes drill press, mechanical variable speed, laser, table roller extension, 5/8" keyed chuck & key, tools for assembly.Drill press Height from the Floor to the top: 37 inch
The DEWALT DWE1622K 2″ 2-Speed Magnetic Drill Press features a 10 amp motor with 2-speed settings that provide optimal performance in a variety of applications. This press has overload protection electronics that prevent motor damage and excess accessory wear designed for long life.
A Quick Change chuck system allows for tool-free change between 3/4″ Weldon Shank and 1/2″ keyed chuck, and the Quick Release feed handles provide a tool-free change of handles to either side of the tool.
The magnetic self-feed cooling tank allows the user to regulate the flow of cooling fluid and can be placed on either side of the tool or on a work surface to allow for a variety of tool orientations.
The 4″ drill travel offers maximum capacity for heavy-duty applications, along with a motor height adjustment that gives a greater range of accessory compatibility. Includes DWE1622 Drill Press, a safety chain, height adjustment tool, Quick-change 1/2-in keyed chuck, and a kit box.
Reasons to buy:
- Power and speed: 10-Amp motor, 2-speed settings, no-load