Odds are, you probably already have a drill, so why should you invest in a drill press?
For starters, a drill press is far more accurate than a handheld drill. Perfect for carrying out repetitive drilling operations, a drill press will allow you to complete woodworking projects more efficiently and with greater precision.
The best drill press for woodworking will depend on the type of work you want to do. For example, if you typically take on large projects that require more height capacity, a floor drill press might be a better choice for you than a benchtop drill press.
We have put together our favorite drill press reviews and go over each of the models in our roundup below, but for those of you in a hurry here is a quick comparison of the drill presses in our review:
To help you choose the right tool for your specific needs, we’ve reviewed the five best drill presses for woodworking available.
The WEN 12-inch variable speed drill press is ideal for the home handyman looking to improve the accuracy and precision of their work. The drill delivers equal torque throughout its entire speed range, which can be set anywhere between 580 and 3200 RPMs.
For additional accuracy, a spindle travel of 3-1/8” with locking linear depth stop lets you repeat the same exact drilling operation as many times as you need to.
The adjustable cast iron worktable measures 9-1/2 x 9-1/2”, and a table roller extension adds up to 17 inches of support for the piece you’re working on. Other features include a 5/8-inch keyed chuck, cast iron base, and beveling worktable.
Reasons to buy:
- Easy assembly: This variable speed drill press practically comes ready to use right out of the box. With easy to follow instructions, assembly is a breeze – you can have it up and running in less than 20 minutes.
- Mechanical variable speed: The WEN’s variable speed feature makes it easy to adjust the drill’s speed without having to manually move belts. With the turn of a lever, you can target an exact speed between 580 and 3200 RPMS and see the number displayed on the digital LED readout.
- Laser precision: A bright onboard work light and accurate laser ensures maximum drilling precision.
- Powerful motor: The WEN’s 5 amp induction motor can handle a variety of materials with ease, including wood, metal, and glass.
- Manual tilt adjustment: To tilt the table, you’ll need to manually loosen a nut. While the drill comes with a wrench for this purpose, some people find this extra step to be an annoyance, especially if you need to change the angle frequently.
- Infinitely variable speed ranges from 580-3200 RPMS. Mechanical variable speed delivers equal torque throughout the range. LED read out displays speed.
- Spindle Travel of 3-1/8" with easy to read, locking linear depth stop for accurate and repeatable drilling operations. Front to the back of the motor is 22 inches
- Quill diameter of 2.17 inches. Durable 2/3hp induction motor develops ample torque and power. Motor: 120 V, 60 Hz. Laser Module: Class III
- 9-1/2 x 9-1/2" cast iron worktable features rack & pinion height adjustment and bevels up to 45 Degree left & right. Width with the handles: 14-1/2"
- Includes drill press, mechanical variable speed, laser, table roller extension, 5/8" keyed chuck & key, tools for assembly.Drill press Height from the Floor to the top: 37 inch
The SKIL 3320-01 is a small benchtop drill press that would make a great addition to any small workshop. With 5 variable speeds between 750 and 3050 RPM and a ½” keyed chuck, it’s suitable for a variety of projects.
The cast iron work table tilts from 0 to 45 degrees, and a laser allows for higher precision work. Additional features include an adjustable depth-stop and height adjustable cast iron work table that measures 7-5/8 x 7-5/8 inches.
Reasons to buy:
- Great value: For the level of quality you get from this small drill, the price is hard to beat. There’s no noticeable wobble, the motor runs quietly, and the drill operates smoothly.
- High precision: For a tool designed for home and hobby use, the SKIL is surprisingly precise. The 2-beam laser is accurate and makes precise drilling operations a breeze.
- Quiet motor: One of the most common complaints people have about their drill press is the sound from the motor, but the SKIL 3320-01 is exceptionally quiet, even when operating at a higher RPM.
- Unreliable depth stop: Some people have reported problems with the SKIL’s depth stop function because the instructions aren’t very clear about how to use it. While it works, there is a bit of a learning curve involved.
- 1/2-inch keyed chuck. Bump-off switch for added safety
- 5 speeds - 570 - 3,050 RPM
- Adjustable depth stop for accurate measurements and repetitive drilling
- 0-45 degree left/right tilting work surface
- Laser X2 2-beam laser for precise hole alignment
The Craftsman 10-inch benchtop drill press is a reliable tool from a trustworthy brand. This affordable drill press comes uses a 110 V, 60 Hz motor to smoothly drill through a variety of materials. There are five variable speeds ranging from 620 to 3100 RPM.
The table height is easy to adjust thanks to a rack and pinion elevation system. Other features include a scaled steel fence, stop block, ½” keyed chuck, and guiding laser for extra precision.
Reasons to buy:
- Sturdy and stable: Solidly built, the Craftsman drill press is stable and drills smoothly. Sitting perfectly flat, the table doesn’t move side to side at all.
- High accuracy: The built-in LED light is bright and the laser guide is easy to adjust, allowing you to drill with greater accuracy. Once the laser position is set, you can trust that it won’t move out of adjustment, making it easy to precisely align your work.
- Rack and pinion table elevation: The elevation of the Craftsman’s worktable is easy to adjust, and the rack and pinion system ensures each adjustment is highly accurate.
- Misleading amperage: While product descriptions for this Craftsman drill press sometimes boast a 6 amp motor, it actually has a 3.2 amp motor.
- Swivel knob for easier control
- Adjustable LED for improved visibility
- Adjustable fence with stop for repetitive drilling
- Five speeds for a variety of drilling applications
- Rack & pinion for accurate height adjustments
The WEN 4210 packs some of the best features of a large industrial floor drill press into a compact, 10-inch benchtop drill press. You can choose from five speeds between 600 and 3100 RPM to drill holes as deep as 2-1/2 inches.
The WEN’s 7-5/8” x 7-5/8” cast iron worktable is sturdy and easy to adjust by crank to whatever height you need. Other useful features include a work light, laser, and storage for the key to the ½-inch chuck.