With the right tools, even the most tedious of jobs can be done well – and quickly!
If you asked yourself what your favourite tool in your toolbox is, it’s so unlikely you’re going to say that you would mention a knife grinder or a belt grinder.
Grinding and sanding isn’t the most popular option in the bag, but if you are an avid follower of all things do it yourself, then you’re always going to be sanding wood or metal at some point.
Why Use A Belt Grinder In Knife Making?
A belt grinder is an electric device that is used for smoothing materials like metal to make knives. They can be stationary or portable and they consist of two drums that roll out the belt as well as a motor to power it.
Bladesmithing is one of the hardest do-it-yourself tasks around, but forging your own knife from metal and wood can give you that blacksmith feeling, (think “Gendry” from the Game of Thrones). And if you’re not a GOT fan, one of these knife grinders should pique your interest and change all that.
Knife making is one of the world’s oldest crafts, and while man started out with sharpened stones to get the job done, over time knife making has evolved into an art form of supreme caliber. Modern technology has introduced machinery that mass-produces general knives in their thousands, so hand-making knives remains a rare art. You may not find the qualities that you want from a knife in the hardware store, so making your own can make a difference. Plus, making your own hunting knives using a knife grinder allows you the opportunity to personalize your knives to your needs.
With all of that in mind, it’s a good idea to get a good idea of the products on offer for your knife making, and below, we’ve got five products that will give you more of an idea of what is out there for you to use.
In the H8192, Grizzly offers a combination benchtop sander that offers a 1″ wide by 42″ long belt sander, and 8″ disc sander in one solid yet portable unit. A perfect match to your bandsaw or scroll saw this Combination Belt/Disc Sander will shape and smooth right to the line.
The 1/3 Horsepower, 110V, single-phase, 1725 RPM, capacitor-start induction motor powers the 1″ x 42″ belt and 8″ disc. With that power, it makes easy work of any sanding chore and the cast-iron tilting tables give you the flexibility you demand.
It also includes single-knob tracking and two 2″ dust ports. Weighing 63lb and easily assembled, it’s ideal for larger part contouring and dry sharpening jobs, even of intricate detailing. This sander does it all.
- Belt sander table size: 6″ x 7″
- Disc sander table size: 4″ x 10″
- Both the belt and the sanding tables tilt at 45 degrees.
- ⅓ HP Motor 110V single phase 1725 RPM
- A perfect match to your bandsaw or scroll saw this Combination Belt/Disc Sander will shape and smooth right to the line. A 1/3-HP TEFC capacitor start
- Includes single knob tracking and two 2-Inch dust ports
- Approximate shipping weight is 63 lbs
The sanding belt and disc of the Bucktool BD4801 Bench Belt Sander are directly driven by the motor shaft and are now maintenance-free. Because the sander doesn’t use a belt or have geas, you don’t have to adjust the cog belt tension or change a damaged cog belt like before with other sanders.
Its motor direct-drive design increases sanding efficiency by 25% over the traditional sander design. The 3/4 Horsepower induction motor is enclosed, supplying powerful yet silent output. The belt can work at 0-90 degrees depending on the needs of your project, with the driven drum allowing for sanding of curved work-pieces.
The sturdy cast aluminum base with rubber foot provides great stability and prevents vibrations. It has 2 dust ports that allow a dust-free operation with a dust collector, and for even better performance you can connect the two with Bucktool’s Y-Fitting Hose. All of this makes it easy to polish all of the jagged edges and splinters on your wood and lumber and make it smooth and is ideal for fine wood sanding & polishing.
- 2-in-1 sanding machine with 4 x 36” belt and 8” disc
- 0-90 degrees angle adjustable work table with miter gauge for both sanding disc and belt
- Quick sander belt replacement design and humanized track control
- 3/4 HP Motor 120V single phase 3450 RPM
- Sanding belt and disc were directly driven by the motor shaft, maintenance-free, you don't have to adjust the belt tension, change damage belt like before
- Motor direct-drive design can increase 25% sanding efficiency than the traditional design. 3/4 HP total enclosed induction motor supplies silent but powerful output
- The belt can work at 0 or 90 degrees depending on the needs of your project, the driven drum allows for sanding of curved work-pieces. Quick sander belt replacement design & humanized track control
- Sturdy cast aluminum base with rubber foot prevents vibrations. 2 dust ports allows a dust-free operation when connecting with a dust collector. To ensure a better experience, we suggest matching with our Y-Fitting Hose
- Two-in-one sanding machine includes both a 4 x 36-inch belt and an 8-inch disc. Angle adjustable work table with miter gauge used on both sanding disc and belt
Precision-built and designed to last, this sander is capable of delivering a premium finish every time you use it.
It’s a powerful, versatile machine and performs the work of a jigsaw, coping saw or hand file removing material and creating a superior finish all at the same time. This enables you to get into small openings while handling odd shapes.
This is made with reliable, quality engineering and it’s tested to tight tolerance standards to ensure the best quality available.
- There is a hinged idler wheel cover on this model
- Horsepower is 1/3HP, 115VAC 1PH
- Power take-off allows for mounting an optional flex shaft for carving, drum sanding, deburring and more.
- There is a deluxe miter gauge that turns and locks for common angles, 45 degrees left and right
- Abrasive belt unit does the work of a jigsaw, coping saw, or hand file while removing material and finishing at the same time.
- Removable platen allows for sanding, grinding, or finishing off outside curves or odd-shaped workpieces on the belt.
- VERSATILE: Hinged idler wheel cover and removable platen allows for sanding of outside curves or odd-shaped work pieces on the belt.
- STURDY: Main body consists of cast iron construction, while the base is constructed from heavy-duty steel.
- MITER GAUGE: Turns and locks for common angles, 45° both left and right.
- DUST COLLECTION: Two 1-1/4" ports can be hooked up to a dust collection system.
- EFFICIENT: Abrasive belt unit removes material and finishes at the same time, allowing the operator to get into small openings.
The WEN 1” x 30” Belt Sander comes with a 5” sanding disc to sand, smooth and deburr jagged edges and splinters on your wood and lumber. Despite being an affordable budget product, a 2.3-AMP motor deliver speeds of up to 3160 feet per minute on the belt and 3450 RPM on the disc.
Changing the spacious 1-inch-by-30-inch belt is a breeze, giving you the power to switch sand paper grits quickly and easily. The compact design makes transportation and storage easier than ever while the heavy-duty base prevents movement and wobbling during operation.
With all of this, you’ll have the capacity to sand whatever your heart desires. A sturdy beveling work table accompanies both the disc and the belt to provide a reliable source of support for your workpieces. In addition to the 5” side disc, it comes with an 80-grit sanding disc, a 100-grit sanding belt, a miter gauge for angled workpieces, and two separate dust ports for vacuum attachments.
And because this is a WEN Product, your purchase comes backed by a two-year warranty, a nationwide network of skilled service technicians, and a helpful customer phone line. Sand the tightest of corners and the oddest of shapes with the WEN 1 x 30-Inch Belt Sander with 5-Inch Sanding Disc.
- 2-in-1 sanding machine with 1 x 30” belt andv5” disc
- 2.3A motor for up to 3160 FPM for the belt and 3450 RPM for the disc
- Sturdy heavy-duty base v
- 2 separate dust ports for maximum vacuuming efficiency
- Two-in-one sanding machine includes both a 1-by-30 inch belt and a 5-inch disc
- 2.3A motor provides up to 3160 FPM for the belt and 3450 RPM for the disc
- Sturdy heavy-duty base prevents walking and wobbling during operation
- Features two separate dust ports for maximum vacuuming efficiency
- Includes a miter gauge, an 80-grit sanding disc, a 100-grit sanding belt and a 2-year warranty