Top Belt Sanders For Knife Making Reviewed
With the right tools, even the most tedious of jobs can be done well – and quickly!
If you asked yourself what your favourite tool in your toolbox is, it’s so unlikely you’re going to say that you would mention a knife grinder or a belt grinder.
Grinding and sanding isn’t the most popular option in the bag, but if you are an avid follower of all things do it yourself, then you’re always going to be sanding wood or metal at some point.
Why Use A Belt Grinder In Knife Making?
A belt grinder is an electric device that is used for smoothing materials like metal to make knives. They can be stationary or portable and they consist of two drums that roll out the belt as well as a motor to power it.
Bladesmithing is one of the hardest do-it-yourself tasks around, but forging your own knife from metal and wood can give you that blacksmith feeling, (think “Gendry” from the Game of Thrones). And if you’re not a GOT fan, one of these knife grinders should pique your interest and change all that.
Knife making is one of the world’s oldest crafts, and while man started out with sharpened stones to get the job done, over time knife making has evolved into an art form of supreme caliber. Modern technology has introduced machinery that mass-produces general knives in their thousands, so hand making knives remains as a rare art. You may not find the qualities that you want from a knife in the hardware store, so making your own can make a difference. Plus, making your own hunting knives using a knife grinder allows you the opportunity to personalize your knives to your needs.
With all of that in mind, it’s a good idea to get a good idea of the products on offer for your knife making, and below, we’ve got five products that will give you more of an idea of what is out there for you to use.
Belt Grinders For Knife Making:
This is ideal for intricate part contouring and dry sharpening, and this sander does it all.
It features excellent power for the size of the machine, and can be assembled easily with an approximate weight of 22lb.
- Removable belt platen and idler roller guard.
- Both the belt and the sanding tables tilt at 45 degrees.
- Idler roller guard makes contour sanding a breeze
- ⅓ HP Motor 110V single phase 3450 RPM
- 1/3 HP, 110V, single-phase, 3450 RPM motor
- Both belt and disc sanding tables tilt 45 degrees
- Belt sander table size, 5-1/8" x 5-1/8"
- Disc sander table size, 4" x 7-5/16"
- Removable belt platen and idler roller guard
Changing the belt is easy and the tracking adjustment is, too. This demonstrates that the Kalamazoo 1SM was created with ease of use in mind.
The motor is reversible with reversal lines 5 and 8 result in direction of motor rotation.
Line 5 is the black wire and line 8 is the res and you can change it to run on 220 single phase from the delivered configuration.
- Uses 1”x42” belts – not sold with the product
- Motor of ⅓ HP, 110V and 1PH
- 1,725 RPM speed
- Tilted work table
- 4” contact wheel
- Belt supporter
- Can be used for deburring, sharpening, sizing, sanding, smoothing, shaping metal.
It’s a powerful, versatile machine and performs the work of a jigsaw, coping saw or hand file removing material and creating a superior finish all at the same time. This enables you to get into small openings while handling odd shapes.
This is made with reliable, quality engineering and it’s tested to to tight tolerance standards to ensure the best quality available.
- There is a hinged idler wheel cover on this model
- Horse power is 1/3HP, 115VAC 1PH
- Power take off allows for mounting an optional flex shaft for carving, drum sanding, deburring and more.
- There is a deluxe miter gauge that turns and locks for common angles, 45 degrees left and right
- Abrasive belt unit does the work of a jigsaw, coping saw or hand file, while removing material and finishing at the same time.
- Removable platen allows for sanding, grinding, or finishing off outside curves or odd shaped work pieces on the belt.
- Hinged idler wheel cover. Horse power: 1/3HP, 115VAC, 1ph
- Power take off allows for mounting an optional flex shaft for carving, drum sanding, deburing, and more
- Deluxe miter gauge turns and locks for common angles, 45 degrees left and right
- Abrasive belt unit does the work of a jig-saw, copying saw or hand file while removing material and finishing at the same time
- Removable platen allows for sanding, grinding, or finishing of outside curves or odd shaped work pieces on the belt
The way that this machine is designed allows for the sanding, grinding, and finishing of outside curves or odd-shaped pieces.
It has a heavy duty base, cast construction and cast iron tilting table that means that you are getting the very best that JET has to offer you as a consumer.
- Abrasive belt unit that removes material and finishes at the same time, which allows you to get into the smallest openings.
- A deluxe mitre gauge that turns and locks for common angles
- Rubber feet and heavy duty steel base.
- Hinged idler wheel cover
- Deluxe miter gauge that turns and locks for common angles, 45 degrees both left and right
- Hinged idler wheel cover, tilting table
- Abrasive belt unit does the work of a jig saw, coping saw, or hand file while removing material and finishing
- Allows an operator to get into small openings, plus handle odd shapes and angles
- Grind, sand, or finish large work pieces on the disc unit fast and efficiently, table is slotted to accept miter gauge
This is made of heavy duty steel and is durable and usable for a long time. There is a strong base on the disc sander, preventing heavy vibrations when you operate it.
The belt and table both tilt at 45 degrees, which enables you to work better.
- Intricate contour sanding and shaping to fast stock removal
- Features a tracking adjustment to keep the belt straight
- ⅓ horsepower motor
- 120V 60HZ
- 【High Quality Material】This disc sander is made of heavy duty steel. It is durable and can be used for a long time. There is also a strong base on the disc sander, which can prevent any heavy vibrations when you operate. It provides extra stability and safety.
- 【Convenient Design】Both belt and disc sanding tables can tilt 45 degrees. And it is also equipped with the quick-release belt tension lever, which is easy and quick for you to change the belt. It makes your work more convenient.
- 【Dust Collection Port】This disc sander is equipped with a dust collection port, which can minimize clean-up of saw dust and debris. It can keep your work environment more clean.
- 【Easy to Assemble】All assembly hardware is included. Clear and brief instruction make it much easier to put together. And no professional tools are needed, which can save much time for you.
- 【Multifunctional Use】With a powerful motor, it can be used for small and large sanding operations on various materials. And it can intricate contour sanding and shaping to fast stock removal.
Why Make Your Own Knives?
Other than the benefits of using a proper belt grinder for knives, it can help to know why you would want to make your own in the first place – especially when there is a huge market for knives already on the market that you can choose from. So, we’ve put together some of the reasons that you need to consider for making your own knives:
- It’s An Art – Mass produced knives all look the same, but cutting in your own knives allows you to aesthetically design it the way that you want. Producing your own gives you the change to use your imagination.
- A Hobby – Some people paint, some people knit, others like to forge knives for hunting or for display.
- Honing Your Skills – If you’re a fan of metal work, you’ll need to hone your skills. By making your own knives, you improve your craft and it’s a useful skill to have!
- It Can Be Cheaper – Making your own knives can be a lot cheaper than buying them, especially with large hunting knives.
- Quality – When you are in charge of the knives you are making, you get to choose the metals and wood in the quality that you want.
Features Of A Good Knifemaking Belt Sander
When you’re in the world of knife-making, you need reliable equipment and in some parts of the world, knives are still crafted by hand, so heavy duty belt grinders are a must. It’s the difference between making a regular garbage knife and having a beautiful product to be proud of at the end of your making session. There are plenty of good advantages of using a good knife grinder, and these are:
- Ease of Use – Belt grinders are easy to use and quickly give your materials the finishing touch you have been looking for. They can give you the shape and smooth surface of your knives with minimal effort on your part, as long as you avoid tilts and use minimum pressure. These aren’t gentle, silent devices, so it’s important that you are the person in control at all times. Belt grinders are indispensable to those who make knives for a living, as they can accomplish the tasks required of them with ease.
- Removes Unwanted Residue – Metal isn’t a material that’s always clean and clear. There is always the chance of unwanted paint or residue on a surface, and using a belt grinder will maintain the finish of the surface while getting rid of the residue. This brings uniformity to your creations and saves you the job of trying to clean the residue by hand every time.
- Fast Action – Finding a belt grinder for knife making means that you are looking for something that is quicker than doing it all by hand. You can remove material and shape material surfaces in very little time and that’s why people choose to use knife grinders. You can use them for the initial stages of sanding and shaping metal and especially where large amounts of material need to be removed quickly.
Knife Making Belt Sander Video
If you’ve never used a belt sander in knife making before, here is a good YouTube video explaining how to use one: