Are you currently refinishing your deck and want it to look its absolute best?
A high-quality flooring sander is critical to the overall appearance of your deck and will make it look and feel more professional, rather than like your home improvement project is the aftermath of an unskilled homeowner.
Finding a deck sander that best fits your needs can be difficult on a competitive marketplace full of options. That’s why we’ve selected the top belt sanders for you. Once you invest in one of these, you’ll be happy to see the high-quality results on your finished project.
Benefits Of A Belt Sander For Decks
Sanding wood decks with a belt sander is the best option to prepare for deck staining or painting. Because these areas are completely flat surfaces that don’t have too many corners, sharp edges or narrow spaces, a belt sander with a wide belt is the best tool to cover the surface easily and efficiently.
Belt sanders are bigger than small or compact sanders, so they are perfect for large areas such as decks. They are also reasonably easy to manage and control if used properly and if you are working with a quality tool. They can also run for long periods of time without having to charge or rest, which is not always the case with smaller models.
Deck Sander Comparison Table
We’ve reviewed some of the best sanders for decks available, to help you find the right one. We go over each one in detail below, but for those in a hurry here is a quick feature comparison:
Because sanding is such an important step in deck refinishing, it’s critical to find a quality belt sander that’s efficient, durable, and long lasting. Some are better for deck sanding specifically more than others, and if you don’t know what you’re looking for, it can be easy to buy the wrong one.
Here are our top picks for quality sanders for decks that you can trust to enhance the look of your project and make your renovation process go smoother.
To help you choose the right tool for your specific needs, we’ve reviewed the four best sanders for decks available.
This sander is standard in the industry and a reliable choice that will get the job done. It has a 4-inch wide belt and a speed of 1,640 feet per minute. It’s built with a large front grip, so beginners aren’t struggling to keep it upright while using it. At a reasonable 13 pounds, this sander is not too heavy and easier to hold than bigger models.
It also has a large dust bag that has a 360-degree rotation designed to minimize particles blocking your sight while using the sander. Its electric cord is located on the top of the machine, which is a huge convenience – nothing is worse than using electric technology with one hand and having to hold a cord in the other. The Makita manufacturers ensure that this product’s cord is out of the way so that you can sand easily.
If noise is uncomfortable to you, this sander is the quietest of its kind. Although this sander is guaranteed to hold up for multiple uses, it also comes with a 1-year warranty. This sander is your best option as it offers all the important components at a decent rate.
Makita 9403 Pros
- Solid Grip
- Standard features
- Wide belt
Makita 9403 Cons
- Less powerful than some other options on the market
- Quietest belt sander in its class: only 84 decibals
- 4 inch wide belt with a speed of 1,640 feet per minute for fast material removal
- Labyrinth construction seals motor and bearings from contamination
- Large front grip is positioned for operator comfort. Variable speed control dial : No
- 13 pounds; 1 year warranty
2. Bosch OS50VC 120-Volt 3.4-Amp Variable Speed 1/2-Sheet Orbital Finishing Sander with Vibration Control
This is a heavy-duty, powerful sander that’s geared towards experienced users. Its 3.4 amp sander allows for a stronger sanding rate and maximum speed. Its enormous ½ sheet sanding pad is ideal for decks, allowing the user to cover a lot of surface area in a short period of time. It’s strong but sturdy and automatically in control, with the ability to control its vibrations and move steadily. It’s built in suspension system exclusive to Bosch models makes this model easy to control and handle.
The Bosch OS50VC also comes with a Sheetloc clamping system that keeps the sandpaper perfectly in place. If you’re uncomfortable by its high speed, there is a speed dial that controls its strong movement and can accommodate any type of wood.
Although it doesn’t come with a dust bag, it has a built-in dust canister that collects particles efficiently and is easy to remove and empty when necessary. It’s a little pricier than the standard Makita 9304, but it’s one of the most efficient and trustworthy options available.
Bosch OS50VC Pros
- Extremely powerful
- ½ Sheet
- Low vibration
Bosch OS50VC Cons
- Pricier than other options
- VERSATILE: Flush sanding ability sands close to vertical surfaces on 3 sides
- ACCURACY: SheetLoc Supreme Paper Clamping System for perfect paper fit. Also accepts stick on paper
- CONVENIENCE: Lowest vibration of any electric orbital sander.Orbit Diameter:3/32 inch
- DUST COLLECTION: Translucent micro filter dust canister with integrated paper filter and screw-off cap for easiest emptying
- KIT CONTENTS: Includes OS50VC sander, micro filter dust canister, removable front handle, VAC024 vacuum hose adapter, 5 mm hex wrench, sanding sheet and punch plate
This is the most affordable model on the list that includes the minimum features necessary for a decent sanding job. It has a variable speed dial just like the Bosch model and an elastomer grip handle similar to the Makita 9403 to make it easy to hold and use.
Its small build makes it easy to control, transport, and use freely. It comes packaged with a large dust collection bag that’s easy to slip on and off. Besides its portable size, price, and standard features, this model’s biggest pro is its wear-resistant V-belt that is guaranteed to hold up for twice the service life of this sander.
At its base, it doesn’t come with a sanding belt, but it can be purchased with the belt as a combo deal for an incredibly low price that’s still more affordable than the other options.
Hitachi SB8V2 Pros
- Well-rounded, standard features
- Most affordable
Hitachi SB8V2 Cons
- Smaller sheet
- Sander belt not included
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Variable speed dial adjusts speed from 820 1,475 feet/min for improved manageability during any operation
- Soft elastomer grip surface on the main and auxiliary handles for a comfortable and secure hold
- Tracking window improves visibility of sanding surface and sanding belt during use and belt size is 76 x 533millimeter(3 x 21 inches)
- Left side mounted dust collection bag improves corner sanding applications, while reducing airborne particles to keep work area clean
4. No products found.
The Porter Cable is a 3×21 belt sander that has an all-metal housing, which makes this tool feel solid and sturdy. Although metal, it is technically lighter than tools like the Makita, at a manageable size of 10 lbs. The metal housing also helps the sander remain rigid when working, and it alleviates heat during long periods of use to prevent the machine from overheating. This machine is fantastic at keeping the belt in place and running for long periods of time.
Like the other models, it also comes with a variable speed dial and large cloth bag. This sander stands out because of its capability as a flush sander, which is the sanding of two adjoining surfaces. If your deck has stairs, this tool is small and sturdy enough with a solid belt and ability to reach in corners to efficiently sand these areas. The Porter has a quick-release belt changer, making belt changes easier and quicker.
This model also comes with a three-year warranty, convenient for any new users who are skeptical about this sander’s guaranteed durability.
Porter-Cable 352VS Pros
- Variable Speed
- All-Metal Housing
- Cloth Bag
- Flush Sanding
- 3-year Warranty
Porter-Cable 352VS Cons
- Doesn’t have the same width and strength as the other options.
No products found.
The Verdict: What Is the Best Deck Sander?
Although they all have different features wi