A good palm sander is an essential piece of equipment for any well-stocked toolkit. Also referred to as “finish sanders”, these compact, easy-to-use tools are excellent for completing projects which require additional sanding. They are also ideal for sanding hard to reach areas including edges and corners.
Best Palm Sanders Comparison Table
|1. TCP Global Professional Heavy Duty 5″ Dual-Action Random Orbit Air Palm Sander
|2. The DEWALT DWE6411K
|3. Bosch ROS20VSC Palm Sander
|4. Air Random Orbital Sander
|5. Milwaukee 6034-21 5″ Random Orbit Palm Sander
|6. Valianto 5” Air Random Orbital Palm Sander
|7. 3M Random Orbital Sander – Pneumatic Palm Sander
|8. TACKLIFE 1/4 Sheet Sander, 2.2A Palm Sander
|9. SKIL 7292-02 2.0 Amp 1/4 Sheet Palm Sande
|10. Astro Pneumatic Tool 330 3″ Finishing Palm Sander
|11. Autolock 5-inch Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
|12. Triton TCMBS Palm Sander
|13. Genesis GPS2303 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
|14. Cubitron II 3M Elite Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
|15. AIRCAT 6700-6-336CV 6″ Central Vacuum Palm Sander
With so many options on the market today, it is difficult to select the correct palm sander for your needs. We simplified the process by reviewing 15 of the most popular models that are currently being sold on Amazon.
Our Best Palm Sanders Reviews and Comparisons
1. TCP Global Professional Heavy Duty 5″ Dual-Action Random Orbit Air Palm Sander
This lightweight, air-powered, palm sander features two types of 5” style backing plates pads. One pad is designed to accommodate hook and sanding discs. The other is designed for (PSA) pre-stuck adhesive discs. It features an efficient ergonomic design to prevent fatigue.
Additional components include an instruction manual, a wrench, lubricating oil, and a coupler plug. This is an ideal model for working on metal, wood, fiberglass, composites, and for general sanding prep work in automotive body shops.
- Long-lasting, heat-treated, steel parts resist corrosion
- Unique ball-bearing construction provides smooth, vibration-free, performance
- Lightweight, ergonomic rubber handgrip prevents fatigue and allows the sander to work comfortably and efficiently for extended periods of time
- Thumb controlled air regulation system adjusts the speed when the sander is in use.
What We Like About TCP Global Professional Heavy Duty 5″ Dual-Action Random Orbit Air Palm Sander
This handy air-powered sander is an excellent bargain. Reviewers appreciated its overall reliability, affordability, durability, and general ease of use. They report that it holds up even after extensive use. Many described it as a great deal for its low cost.
What We Don’t Like About TCP Global Professional Heavy Duty 5″ Dual-Action Random Orbit Air Palm Sander
This is a bare-bones model. You do not get additional components with this product. Several customers complained that the overall quality was poor. Others noted that it was noisy.
- Easy to use
- Some customers were dissatisfied with the overall quality
- No additional components are included with this product
2. The DEWALT DWE6411K
This powerful corded sander’s 2.3 AMP motor is capable of a remarkable 14,000 orbits per minute (OPM). This affordable model includes a locking dust system that connects the hose to the sander, a paper clamp to enhance paper retention, and a counterweight system to prevent excessive vibrations. This model is designed for heavy use.
- Powerful corded 2.3 AMP motor sander
- Locking dust system
- Paper clamp enables greater paper retention
- Ergonomic design enables ease of use
What We Like About The DEWALT DWE6411K
Customers were extremely impressed with this sander. With its powerful capability and easy to use functions and features, there is a lot to like about this model. We particularly like the dust locking system and paper retention features. It scored high ratings for both comfort and ease of use.
What We Don’t Like About The DEWALT DWE6411K
Certain reviewers were unhappy with the dust bag and the overall dust collecting system. Some reviewers complained that the bag does not attach properly and that it frequently falls off. Despite this complaint, the overwhelming number of reviews are positive.
- Powerful capability
- Additional features include a paper clamp and dust collection
- Rubber dust boot prevents inhalation
- A bargain for a powerful device
- #1 bestselling power sheet sander on Amazon
- Complaints about the dust collection system
- The discharge port does not connect to a standard vacuum
3. Bosch ROS20VSC Palm Sander
This comfortable sander is designed to prevent swirl marks and abrasions on all types of surfaces. With an ergonomic design allowing multiple grips and variable speed control, this is an easy tool to use. The Bosch ROS20VSC Palm sander comes with a dampening ring, dust canister, vacuum adapter, sanding pad, sanding disc, and its own carrying case.
- Variable speed control
- Soft grip top for multiple positions
- Micro-filter system for collecting minute dust particles
- Dust canister
- Easy disc attachment
- Pad dampening system to prevent swirl marks
What We Like About Bosch ROS20VSC Palm Sander
Overall, the reviews for this sander were particularly good. Many reviewers were impressed with the micro-filter dust collection system. For the price, this sander offers several interesting features.
What We Don’t Like About Bosch ROS20VSC Palm Sander
Several reviewers felt that this sander was designed primarily for low-intensity usage. It may not be suitable for projects which require longer, extended, periods of intensive sanding.
- Comfortable design for easy and efficient use
- Pad dampening prevents swirl marks
- A micro-filter dust collection system
- Variable speed control
- The model may not be ideal for projects which require extensive sanding
- Some customers were not satisfied with the maximum available speed
4. Air Random Orbital Sander
This inexpensive, high-strength, air-powered, sander features a light air-motor assembly specifically designed for vertical and overhead use. It is particularly suited for sanding metal products.
- Lightweight design
- Heat-treated parts enable a long life of the product
- Built-in regulator for speed control
- Ergonomic Design provides air and wrist support
What We Like About Air Random Orbital Sander
At an affordable price, this sander is light, strong, and ideal for vertical and overhead sanding. Customers appreciate its smooth performance and overall durability.
What We Don’t Like About Air Random Orbital Sander
Several reviewers complained about the faulty air adjustment system. There were also several complaints about the overall quality of the product.
- Relatively lightweight
- Ideal for vertical and overhead sanding
- Item does not have a dust collection system
- Some customers complained about the model’s durability
5. Milwaukee 6034-21 5″ Random Orbit Palm Sander
This corded electric sander is more expensive than many of the other palm sanders on this list. It combines exceptional durability with high performance.
- Includes sanders
- Grinders, power angle grinders
- Soft-carrying bag
What We Like About Milwaukee 6034-21 5″ Random Orbit Palm Sander
Customers praised its overall capability. It offers durability, high-level performance, and is easy to use.
What We Don’t Like About Milwaukee 6034-21 5″ Random Orbit Palm Sander
Overall, the reviews were generally good. Some customers had complaints about the dust collection system. Others were not impressed with the durability.
- Offers additional components
- Easy to use
- Comparable to more expensive models
- The dust collection system disappointed many customers
- Some customers complained about the durability
6. Valianto 5” Air Random Orbital Palm Sander
This dual-action air-powered sander features a built-in regulator for speed control and a double rotation polishing technology. The unique “dual action” function prevents scratching and swirl marks that are frequently left on sanded surfaces. Additional components include a case and tools. This model is ideal for working on metal, wood, furniture, and autobody parts.
- Double rotation polishing technology ensures uniform polishing
- Dual-action prevents abrasions
- The built-in regulator controls speed and high efficiency
- Low height allows for greater control
What We Like About Valianto 5” Air Random Orbital Palm Sander
Many reviewers were surprised by the overall capacity of this sander. They indicated that they enjoyed its durability, smooth function, and versatility which make it suitable for both dry and wet work. One reviewer reported that he used the sander for 12 hours over a two-day period doing “wet” work and that his sander was still holding up.
What We Don’t Like About Valianto 5” Air Random Orbital Palm Sander
Some customers complained about the sander’s noise, vibrations, and the overall poor quality.
- Speed can reach up to 12,000 revolutions per minute
- Double rotational polishing technology allows for a smooth finish
- Ideal for wood, metal, furniture, and automobiles
- The lightweight model is versatile for different kinds of work
- Some customers complained that it was very noisy
- Complaints of poor quality
7. 3M Random Orbital Sander – Pneumatic Palm Sander
This is a powerful model that surpasses many regular sanders on the market today with its performance. With its steel and composite construction, it is designed to provide professional performance. It is priced more expensively than other models.
- Pneumatic power
- Professional-grade performance
- Durable steel and composite structure
- Ergonomic design for efficient usage
What We Like About 3M Random Orbital Sander – Pneumatic Palm Sander
This sander offers professional, powerful performance, with a durable, ergonomically designed body. 3M Random Orbital Sander offers a swirl and blemish-free finish. The 3M Random Orbital Sander is suitable for many types of surfaces, including metal, wood, fiberglass, furniture, and other composites.
What We Don’t Like About 3M Random Orbital Sander – Pneumatic Palm Sander
This is an awfully expensive product. It is the second most expensive model on this list. It may not be suitable for beginners.
- Powerful 0.28 hp motor
- Random orbital sanders prevent swirls and blemishes
- Smooth functionality
- Not ideal for beginner
8. TACKLIFE 1/4 Sheet Sander, 2.2A Palm Sander
This highly efficient model’s ergonomic design enables users to easily sand using only one hand. With an internal dust structure for collecting dust, this sander provides numerous benefits for an affordably low price.
- Rubber housing enhances better control and minimizes vibrations
- Vacuum function
- The unique internal dust removal system
- Hook and loose sanding base for quick changing of sanding sheets
- 15,000 RPM with 2.2A power
What We Like About TACKLIFE 1/4 Sheet Sander, 2.2A Palm Sander
This palm sander offers many great features. It combines power, durability, efficiency, and features an impressive internal system for collecting dust. For what you get the price is very reasonable.
What We Don’t Like About TACKLIFE 1/4 Sheet Sander, 2.2A Palm Sander
Although the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, one reviewer complained that the motor stopped working as soon as his warranty expired.
- Durable design
- Vacuum function
- Additional accessories
- Other than a few complaints, the reviews were generally positive
9. SKIL 7292-02 2.0 Amp 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
This easy to use corded electric sander has several interesting features. These include a unique pressure control technology, a microfiltration system for capturing dust particles, and a vacuum system for collecting the dust. It is currently being sold on Amazon.
- A clear dust container takes out the guesswork and lets you know when to remove dust
- Pressure control technology allows users to find the optimal pressure level.
- Microfiltration/Vacuum system for capturing and collecting dust
- Soft grip enables increased comfort and control
- High-quality carrying bag
What We Like About SKIL 7292-02 2.0 Amp 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
The unique pressure control technology is very impressive. Many experts note that palm sanders are often prematurely destroyed when inexperienced users place too much pressure on the model.
With this technology, users can now regulate and reduce their pressure which lengthens the life of the palm sander. We also like the vacuum system for collecting dust. A clear container enables you to know precisely when it is time to empty the container, and a hook and loop sanding base allows users to easily exchange sanding sheets.
What We Don’t Like About SKIL 7292-02 2.0 Amp 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
Some customers complained that they had difficulty attaching the sandpaper to the clip. There was also dissatisfaction with the dust collecting feature.
- Pressure control technology
- Efficient dust collecting system
- Hook and loop sanding base for exchanging sanding sheets
- Comfortable ergonomic grip
- Clear dust container takes out the guesswork
- Some reviewers complained that it is difficult to attach the sandpaper to the clip
- A few reviewers complained about the dust collecting system
10. Astro Pneumatic Tool 330 3″ Finishing Palm Sander
Astro’s 3” finishing palm sander features a built-in regulator which is designed for speed control. Its compact design makes it easier to operate. This unit works well in tight spaces, edges, and corners.
- Built-in regulator for speed control
- Compact design
- Hook and loop backing pad
What We Like About Astro Pneumatic Tool 330 3″ Finishing Palm Sander
For its small size and minimal functions, this sander offers excellent performance.
What We Don’t Like About Astro Pneumatic Tool 330 3″ Finishing Palm Sander
With its small size, this model might not be the best option for heavy usage. It is relatively expensive for a small piece of equipment with limited features.
- Small and compact design
- Ideal design for working in tight spaces
- Durable construction
- For the price, there are better models on the market for your dollar
- With its small size, it is not ideal for larger projects
11. Autolock 5-inch Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
This lightweight dual-action model can be used comfortably with one hand. It is one of the lowest prices. It can be used on a variety of surfaces including wood, metal, and automotive work. Additional components in this model include a product manual, 1pc wrench, 1pc trachea quick connector, 7pc hook, and loop sanding pads.
- A versatile tool for different tasks
- A built-in regulator allows for greater speed control
- Precision balanced motor for increased control
- The Dual-action model works great on different surfaces
What We Like About Autolock 5-inch Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
For its low price, this model received particularly good reviews for its overall performance. Customers found that it was an ideal model for working on small projects.
What We Don’t Like About Autolock 5-inch Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
As a simple, cheaper sander, this is not an ideal model for those who want to graduate to more complicated projects. Certain users might require a more sophisticated product capable of an increased workload.
- Precision controlled technology
- Additional components.
- Being a small product, it is only suitable for small projects
- With a very low price, you get what you pay for
12. Triton TCMBS Palm Sander
This compact, handheld, and lightweight model contain impressive power considering its small size. It has a flat side for sanding edges and a grip designed for maintaining control. Additionally, it includes a dust collection bag, a manual, and 3 sanding belts (80m grit, 100 grit, 120 grit).
- Rubber grip for maintaining greater control
- The flat side is suitable for working on edges
- Compact design easily fits in your hand
- Dust extraction feature for a healthier work environment
- Dust collection bag
What We Like About Triton TCMBS Palm Sander
For a small compact model, this sander is an excellent, easy-to-use, option. It features a small front-roller for working in tight spaces, a flush side for edge sanding, a lock-on button for continuous sanding, and a belt tracking adjustment. For its size, it is a very powerful model.
What We Don’t Like About Triton TCMBS Palm Sander
Despite its overall performance, this item seems to be an expensive purchase for such a small sander with limited features.
- Excellent performance
- Easy to use
- Handheld compact unit
- Dust extraction feature
- Expensive for its size and capability
- More suitable for work in small tight spaces than heavy projects
13. Genesis GPS2303 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
This corded, electric, model has a die-cast aluminum base which provides increased durability. Additional features include a dust collection bag, oversized spring-loaded clamps for gripping, and a paper punch plate.
- Paper punch plate
- Dust collection bag
- Dust protected on/off switch
- Oversized paper clamps for gripping sandpaper
What We Like About Genesis GPS2303 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
The Genesis GPS2303 model offers excellent performance. It can generate up to 10,000 (OPM) orbits per minute. The additional features are impressive for the reasonable price tag.
What We Don’t Like About Genesis GPS2303 1/4 Sheet Palm Sander
Based on reviews, it seems that users felt that this model is ideal for smaller projects. Those who have an interest in more ambitious projects should explore a sander that is capable of a more intense workload.
- Helpful features for dust collection and protection
- Some reviewers suggested that this model is best suited for smaller projects.
14. Cubitron II 3M Elite Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
The Cubitron II features an ergonomic design that maximizes comfort and provides additional wrist support. With a motor engineered to perform with less vibration and more precision, this model eliminates the kinds of swirl marks and abrasions that often mar many surfaces.
It features a durable design and has impressive pneumatic power. As a pneumatic air-powered sander, it does not have a vacuum function, so it is suitable for projects that do not require dust extraction.
This is the most expensive palm sander on this list, and for the price, the Cubitron II sander features impressive all-around capabilities.
- Pneumatic power
- Aluminum body and composite cover for durability
- 3M Stikit Disc Pad for reducing vibrations enhances performance
- 3M Gripping Material for greater control.
What We Like About Cubitron II 3M Elite Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
Reviewers praised this model as an excellent all-around sander with powerful capabilities. It is durable and capable of an intense workload. It features an ergonomic design that maximizes comfort and control and eliminates fatigue.
What We Don’t Like About Cubitron II 3M Elite Random Orbital and Pneumatic Palm Sander
This is a very expensive model and that means it is not suitable for most budgets.
- Powerful motor
- Ergonomically designed for comfort and improved function
- Pneumatic power exceeds the power of standard sanders
- Very expensive model suitable for those with more experience
- With no vacuum features included makes it only suitable for environments that do not require dust extraction
15. AIRCAT 6700-6-336CV 6″ Central Vacuum Palm Sander
This low profile, palm sander features quiet performance. This is also one of the more expensive models in this review.
- Two-year warranty
- Lubrication free
- Patented low air consumption, low vibration motor.
- AIRCAT technology reduces noise without compromising power.
- A double sealed motor prevents dust contamination.
What We Like About AIRCAT 6700-6-336CV 6″ Central Vacuum Palm Sander
Like many reviewers, we were impressed with the quiet technology of this model. It achieves this without compromising basic function. The double-sealed motor is an interesting feature that enhances the life of the sander.
What We Don’t Like About AIRCAT 6700-6-336CV 6″ Central Vacuum Palm Sander
For an off-brand model, this is an awfully expensive product.
- Two-year warranty
- Noise reduction
- Patented technology decreases air consumption and low vibration motor.
- Low vibration motor
- A fairly expensive model that is not suitable for beginners and is cost-prohibitive for many budgets.
This was an easy decision. Although there are many excellent palm sanders on this list, the DEWALT DWE6411K model clearly takes the prize. When you take into consideration its affordable price suited for most budgets and its many impressive features, it undoubtedly offers the best combination of power and efficiency.
With additional features that include a paper clamp and a unique dust collection system, this is a bargain sander for such an efficient and powerful device. It is no wonder that the DEWALT DWE6411K is currently rated as the #1 Amazon Bestseller in Power Sheet Sanders. People love this palm sander!
*Although reviewers were somewhat unhappy with the dust collection feature, the benefits clearly outweighed the one negative aspect of their user experience.
1. What is a palm sander?
A palm sander is sometimes called a finish sander. They are usually compact and can generally fit in your hand. This tool is generally used when sanding is required for a finished product. However, they can also be used to remove paint. It is not recommended to remove rust with a palm sander.
2. What are palm sanders specifically used for?
Palm sanders are considered great tools for fine sanding projects, for sanding edges/corners or and for sanding hard-to-reach areas. Using a palm sander is much quicker than manually sanding wood by hand the old-fashioned way.
3. Are there different types of palm sanders?
Yes. They generally come in two categories: 1) oscillating sanders and 2) random orbit sanders. Random orbit sanders have the added feature of a rotating pad. This leads to more thorough sanding with fewer abrasions, scratches, and swirl marks. The result is a better overall finish.
4. How does it work?
First, attach a sheet of sandpaper to the bottom of the unit. The vibrating from the bottom of the sander causes the sandpaper to move over the surface with slight oscillations. This provides a consistent and thorough finish that is far superior to working manually with sandpaper.
5. Is it better to buy a corded or cordless version?
You can find excellent models with and without cords. People have their preferences.
In general, corded sanders are great for when you have the available workspace, or if you have access to an electrical source. Corded models provide constant and consistent power. For outdoor projects or areas without an available/reliable electrical source, the cordless battery-operated model might be preferable.
6. Should I wear protective equipment when using a palm sander?
It is always a good idea to wear protective gear whenever you work with any type of sander or similar electrical equipment. Safety equipment should always include safety goggles, face shields, and a dust respirator for use in a dusty environment.
7. What are some additional safety recommendations?
- Always ensure that the safety switch is on the OFF position when the sander is not in use. This simple measure can prevent serious accidents. For corded models, always keep the unit unplugged when not in use or when exchanging or replacing parts.
- Maintain a safe working environment that is free of clutter, and always ensure that all cables are untangled.
- Try to maintain a safe working environment that is off-limits to young children.
- Caution! Dust from sanding projects can sometimes present a combustible fire hazard.
- Always work in a well-lit, well ventilated, area with room to move, and a safe path of egress.
- Finally, always read the user manual carefully before handling any dangerous electrical equipment. For additional safety measures check the following link.
8. What kind of sandpaper is used with electrical sanders in general?
Generally, we use fine-grit sandpaper when we are involved in any delicate or fine type of work. We tend to use coarse grit sandpaper for our initial sanding of raw or untreated wood.
9. I am very confused? What is the difference between a belt sander, an orbital sander, and a palm sander?
Belt sanders are great for if you want to remove material extremely fast. These models are often used for shaping and modeling wood. Orbital sanders are generally used for larger pieces that require extensive sanding both before and after painting. Palm sanders are ideal for smaller areas, edges, and corners, and for more fine detailed work.
10. Do I need to press down hard when using a palm sander?
No. There is no added benefit to applying pressure. It is unnecessary to press down hard on any sander. The mechanism will do the bulk of the work. Needless pressure on the unit can damage the unit. Engineers have mitigated this problem on certain models with a technology that monitors the user’s pressure level. This enables the user to reduce the pressure and extend the life of the unit.
11. Do all palm sanders require a dust bag?
No, they do not. Many palm sanders now feature internal dust collectors. Generally, people have mixed reviews on these dust-collecting models. Often these dust collecting systems have flawed designs and they can cause a mess. Palm sanders which rely on pneumatic compression (airpower) and do not use a vacuum, do not collect dust. These pneumatic sanders are suitable for work environments where there is no concern about dust.