There are few things as comforting as a wood fire, but few things as strenuous and monotonous as cutting your own wood. For those first few swings, there’s something almost primal and alluring about the swing of an axe. However, that appeal quickly fades away when your shoulders are feeling like they would rather fall off your body if they could.
The electronic log splitter takes away the work while providing all the firewood you need. The most common varieties include hydraulic splitters, which use incredible force to squeeze a block of wood between a wedge shape and a plate until it gives under the pressure and splits. Electric, or kinetic, instead use flywheels to store power that sends the wedge into the wood at great force.
Here, we’re going to look at some of the best log splitters on the market, both electric and hydraulic, to see which might help you best suit your needs.
Electric Log Splitter Comparison Chart
Boasting a 2 HP Electric Motor that delivers up to 7 tons of splitting force, this electric log splitter is advertised as cutting logs up to 10 inch diameters, but can reliably cut logs with diameters up to 16 inches, even if the logs have to occasionally be turned around to complete the split all the way through. One of the nice features about the Boss Industrial ES7T20 is the one-handed operation. Most electric log splitters require two hands to operate. Not only does the Boss Industrial make it a little more convenient to repeatedly split logs, but it does mean that you have to be extra careful to ensure safe usage.
Electric log splitters tend to work faster than their hydraulic counterparts, but as a result, they are slightly more dangerous. Keeping your hands out of the way of the rapid delivery of power (and the debris that can sometimes shoot out as a result) is crucial. While the single-handed operation makes it easy to use, take care to keep your free hand out of the way of danger. The automatic ram return means you can quickly set up the next log after finishing the last, too.
It effectively handled multiple types of wood, including some hardier options like cedar, fir, and even oak. One minor downside is that it is positioned quite close to the ground, so it’s not the most ergonomic of log splitters, but for the convenience, power, and safety delivered, that’s not too much of a problem.
- Convenient single-handed controls
- Powerful, able to deal with harder woods than most
- Easy-to-use and space-saving
- Powerful 2 HP electric motor
- 7 tons of splitting force
- Dimensions: 13.5" W x 20" H x 39.5" D | Weight: 121 lb
- Automatic ram return
- Convenient one-Handed operation
The YARDMAX is a slightly cheaper electric log splitter and, as a result, delivers 5 tons of power behind the ram. However, that’s a lot of power for a splitter that’s a much more economic option. It takes slightly longer to cycle the cylinder at 18 seconds compared to the Boss Industrial’s 10 seconds. These differences aren’t a major concern if you’re using wood that’s suitable for the YARDMAX.
It advertises cutting logs up to a diameter of 10 inches in diameter, and this is roughly accurate. It has been able to cut logs with a diameter up to 12 inches, but not too much beyond that. However, it handles soft and hardwoods with ease, despite the seemingly low 5-ton power delivered behind the ram. This includes hemlock, maple, chestnut, beech, and oak
In comparison to the Boss Industrial, the increased height on the YARDMAX thanks to its attachable stand is a welcome change. You’re not going to get a sore back with this one and it offers a little more stability when the splitter is in use. Despite the increased height, it’s incredibly portable, with minimal assembly needed to get it in and out of standing position. One slight issue you might find is that the plastic wheels tend to degrade faster than any of the other components. They work well, to begin with, but can’t handle the weight over time. Replacing them with something a little sturdier might be in your best interest.
- Handles most soft and hardwoods
- Attachable stand makes it much more comfortable to use
- Quick installation and setup
- Powerful, 5 Ton RAM Force to get the job done fast
- Stand, log tray and stroke limiter included
- Two-handed operation puts operator safety first
- Log capacity - 20.5" in length and 10" in diameter
- Short cylinder cycle time - 16 seconds
Using a 1.75 HP engine, the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment log splitter delivers 6 tons of power to the ram. Like the YARDMAX, it has an 18-second cycle time, which is not below average for log splitters of its type. It has no trouble cutting woods with similar hardness to cedar, pine, and oak, but shows a little more trouble with particularly gnarled or knotted pieces of oak, which is also not uncommon for log splitters of this type.
It can effectively handle logs up to 10 inches. Though some users have noted that it can go beyond this recommended limit with some clever positioning, for safety’s sake, you should stick to the 10-inch diameter logs. However, a nice additional feature that we would like to see on more electric log splitters is the integrated stroke limiter. This is an option that can be enabled to provide a shorter stroke that can deal with smaller logs. It offers a little more precision while at the same time shortening that cycle time. If you don’t mind taking the time to cut and transport more, but shorter, logs, it can make the splitting process even more efficient.
Assembly is also incredibly quick. While others we have looked at, like the YARDMAX, can take up to 45 minutes for full assembly, there isn’t much to do with the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment splitter but fitting some wheels on. It doesn’t have a stand option, as a result, making it slightly more uncomfortable to use, but the convenience may well be worth it for you.
- Minimal assembly required
- Stroke limiter makes shorter logs a breeze
- Heavy duty 1.75 HP, 15 amp induction motor delivers maximum performance for the most rugged condition
- Effortlessly does big splitting jobs with a 18-second cycle time
- Integrated stroke limiter can adjust to a shorter stroke for smaller logs
- 7" wheels and configuration to vertical position provides maneuverability and easy storage
The first hydraulic splitter we’re looking at today, the Goplus uses 1500W of power to deliver 6 tons of force. While hydraulic splitters might be a little slower than the electric/kinetic equivalent, this also makes them significantly easier to use so they may be a better option for those who aren’t entirely confident about using a kinetic splitter.
The splitter fits logs of up to 21 inches in length and is recommend for use with logs up to 10 inches in diameter but can effectively split just about anything up to 14 inches in diameter, too, including oak. The log cradle is a good feature which helps keep logs in place so there’s less risk of displacement and uneven splits when it’s in operation. While the splitter is a little on the heavier side (as it needs to be), the handles and wheels allow you to stand it vertically to quickly transport it from place to place, making it highly portable. It is not, however, designed to split green, knotty hardwoods, which can give it something of a hard time.
The ease of use, transport, and stand-up storage makes it one of the most beginner friendly splitters on the list and ensures it doesn’t take more space than it needs to. It does require two hands to operate but this actually makes it safer as it ensures you’re never in a position to have your hands in the path of the split wood.
- Vertical handles and wheels make transport easy
- Two-handed operation ensures safety
- Log cradle keeps logs held securely in position
- ★ Max splitting force: 6Ton. Insulation class is class B. Waterproof Rate is IP 54. Work efficiently with 1500W power.
- ★ Reliability and safety are guaranteed. Durable material and stable construction ensures long-term service lifespan.
- ★ Fits for any place with wood-burning stove or fireplace. Ideal for usage both indoors and outdoors.
- ★ Two big wheels and two comfort grip handles for easy transport. Built-in log cradle keeps logs on track.
- ★ We offer you 100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee to let you buy with confidence. We are quite sure that you will be super-impressed with durability and high quality of our product.