One of the most versatile tools that you could have in your toolbox is an electric chainsaw. Finding the best cordless chainsaw around isn’t’ straightforward, though, because there are just so many options!
Choosing the right one? That’s the tough part, but you get to think about the differences between cordless and corded, battery or not before you get started. You need to consider how much you’ll be using your chainsaw and whether you need it for big jobs or small. No matter what, you have to consider your own comfort, because as the user you’re going to need to ensure that you can continue to hold the chainsaw and be comfortable at the same time.
Cordless Chainsaws vs. Corded Chainsaws
You can choose between corded chainsaws and cordless models, and which one you decide to choose is going to depend on your needs. Some people need to use one with a cord and others go into remote areas to use a saw, which means a cordless version is often more helpful. You can always bring extra batteries with you to charge your chainsaw, you can’t always find a power supply. Both of these types of chainsaw are impressive, but it’s down to preference as to whether you pick corded or cordless. There are some other factors to consider, though, like weight, price and output and these will always influence your choice. So, let’s take a look at the differences between the two.
Before you shop, it’s always better to look into the models out there on the market, and we’ve got the top five options for you below.
Electric Chainsaw Comparison Chart
A trusted name in the tools market, this chainsaw is one of the most popular options out there. If you’re not a fan of the gas powered chainsaws and your cutting work takes you away from a power outlet, then you need the battery powered options. This Black and Decker LSC1020 20V is a brilliant chainsaw for getting those smaller jobs done. It’s light handling and long life on the battery means that you can spend time in the field without getting too fatigued and without the battery running down too quickly. The battery comes with the chainsaw and it’s compatible with other 20V power tools.
It’s a perfect saw for light pruning, and if you’ve got an overgrown yard you won’t have any trouble with this brand. You get a 10 inch premium Oregon low kickback bar and chain and Oregon is one of the leading manufacturers of guide bars and chains – this confirms the quality of the saw. In terms of safety, there’s a lock button positioned at the top of the rubber handle, and you won’t be able to accidentally start. There’s also a guard on the back of the right hand to protect you against flying debris. It’s an excellent tool for close quarter cutting and you’re not restricted by the cord.
- 20V MAX lithium battery for long run-time and long life- stays charged up to 5x longer
- 10" premium Oregon low kickback bar & chain
- Compatible with 20V max outdoor and power tools
- Lithium ion Battery - lightweight, long life, and no memory effect
- Low kickback
- Lithium-ion battery
- Hard to control
- Takes a long time to charge
With smooth operation and less noise than other models, this lightweight and maneuverable chainsaw gets the job done. There is an auto-oiler with transparent tank, making it easier to see. Lithium-ion technology has been taken to the next level and this chainsaw gives you the solution you’ve been looking for. With a touch start button ready to get you moving, you’ll never look back. One charge delivers commanding power and it’s not common for a cordless chainsaw to get more than a general acknowledgement from the professionals. However, this tool has raised eyebrows from the pros and there’s a good reason for it.
Firstly, this chainsaw has a brushless motor that provides you with a much longer run time, more power and more torque, leading to a lot less wear and tear over time. The moment you let go, the saw stops – and so does the noise. Having a push button start is a godsend when you’re not in a position to pull start a chainsaw. The maintenance is reduced massively and the fact that it comes with a 4 year warranty is hugely attractive to buyers. The GreenWorks 40V chainsaw is compatible with the G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System and you also get up to 70% less vibration making it much more comfortable to use.
- Our GREENWORKS brushless motor provides your GREENWORKS tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from; Run TimeUp to 90 Cuts
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; Oil Tank : Translucent
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. 1 battery powers more than 25 tools. Battery Capacity-2Ah
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety. Electronic chain brake prevents from accidental kick-backs.Saw Pitch:0.375 inches
- Brushless motor
- Low kickback
- Low vibration
- Great battery capacity
- Feels flimsy
This is an option that allows you to tackle the tough jobs with the electric powered corded chainsaw. This is a model that is the perfect size for clearing brush, trimming trees and stockpiling firewood. With a powerful 12 amp motor and a reliable 16” Oregon bar and chain, you are getting a chainsaw that has the best control possible for your needs. Earthwise products pride themselves on being a clean air choice, with a low maintenance and high performance option. There’s no assembly to worry about, as it comes fully assembled in the package and doesn’t require any further building.
The plastic bar and chain cover add to the safety while clearing brush and trimming trees. There is also an extra safety button feature to add to keeping you safe while you’re using this tool. At 9.9lb in weight, it’s not too light, but it’s still easy to handle when going and the easy tension adjustment requires no tools at all. There’s a secure wrap around handle with an automatic oiling system – no gas, no fumes and no leaks to contend with.
- Electric chainsaw with a 12-Amp motor that delivers power and performance comparable to gas chainsaws
- 16" Oregon bar and chainsaw chain for fast and clean cuts; The corded electric chainsaw includes protective bar blade cover for safe storage
- Corded electric chainsaw with a convenient automatic oiling system and oil level window; Easy tensioner adjustment without the need for tools
- Electric chainsaw with a comfortable rubber over-molded grip and big loop assist handle
- Planet-friendly electrical saw that does not require fuel to function; Take out the hassle, fumes, and mess of fall clean-up around your home; 3-year warranty
- Comfortable handle
- Reliable warranty
- Tool-less adjustment
- Long Oregon bar
- Rather heavy
- Fussy adjustment settings
Extreme Protection Technology is a series of protective seals that are inside the chainsaw, engineers to channel water, dust and debris away from the main internal components, making this chainsaw one of the most durable on the market. There are zero emissions and reduced maintenance with this chainsaw option, with no engine oil to change, no spark plug to replace and no air filter or muffler to clean. Simply load it up and get going – the saw is ready to use. This is very easy to handle at 1.3lb and it’s designed to help you with your regular yard maintenance. It’s not great for tree felling, but it is good for occasional tree removal.
This Makita-built motor delivers 1,650 fpm chain speed allowing faster cutting, allowing you to get the job done as soon as possible. With this particular product, there are two 18V LXT Lithium-ion batteries that are included to keep you powered up in the field – with up to 3x faster charging, you will get a much better quality cut. You can deliver power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform, and this model only has 87 dBa, which means you get comfortable sound. As it’s one of the best electric chainsaw, there are zero emissions for operator comfort.