One of the most versatile tools that you could have in your toolbox is an electric chainsaw. Finding the best cordless chainsaw around isn’t’ straightforward, though, because there are just so many options!
Choosing the right one? That’s the tough part, but you get to think about the differences between cordless and corded, battery or not before you get started. You need to consider how much you’ll be using your chainsaw and whether you need it for big jobs or small.
No matter what, you have to consider your own comfort, because as the user you’re going to need to ensure that you can continue to hold the chainsaw and be comfortable at the same time.
Cordless Chainsaws vs. Corded Chainsaws
You can choose between corded chainsaws and cordless models, and which one you decide to choose is going to depend on your needs. Some people need to use one with a cord and others go into remote areas to use a saw, which means a cordless version is often more helpful.
You can always bring extra batteries with you to charge your chainsaw, you can’t always find a power supply. Both of these types of chainsaw are impressive, but it’s down to preference as to whether you pick corded or cordless. There are some other factors to consider, though, like weight, price, and output and these will always influence your choice. So, let’s take a look at the differences between the two.
Before you shop, it’s always better to look into the models out there on the market, and we’ve got the top five options for you below.
Electric Chainsaw Comparison Chart
1. PowerSmart Chainsaw, 10-Inch 20V Cordless Chainsaw, Power Chainsaw
PowerSmart Chainsaw, 10-Inch 20V Cordless Chainsaw is a battery-powered electric chainsaw. With a 10” bar and chain design for smooth and fast cuts and wrap-around handling for both horizontal and vertical ones. A 20V 1.5Ah battery and fast charger are included, which are conveniently and handily compatible with all PowerSmart cordless products.
The safety brake panel can stop the machine within 3 seconds and escort you while you work.
It features an automatic oiling system, to automatically provide lubrication of the bar and chain. There’s also a tool-free quick tension knob for easy adjustment of the chain tension and instant tightening of the chain without the need for tools.
At 8.4lbs it’s lightweight, easy to assemble, and easy to use. You’ll love this powerful, good quality, and affordable battery-powered portable chainsaw. You will exceed your expectations in terms of workability, and you’ll be amazed by the toughness of this chainsaw.
Running with a battery so there’s no need for gas or gas/oil mixes, it’s also not as loud as a gas-powered saw either. Excellent for cutting for small trees that need removing, the trimming of medium-sized ones, and the branches that have fallen of larger ones.
- HIGH EFFICIENCY: The cordless power chainsaw works with 5.6m/s chain speed and break time less than 0.12s with the matching 20V, 2.0Ah battery. The cordless chainsaw contains with 12-inch bar and chain, which design for smooth and fast cuts, chain, battery and charger included For Trees,Wood,Farm,Garden,Ranch and Forest Cutting.
- LABOR-SAVING: The battery operated chainsaw is designed in lightweight and portable compact size.The weight of the chainsaw is 6.5lbs which is easy for using and controlling for different groups of people. Use only light pressure to press the guide bar against the wood and let the chain saw do the work.
- AUTOMATIC OILING SYSTEM: The electric chain saw contains with automatic oiling system, automatically provide lubrication of bar + chain, tool-free quick tension knob - easy adjustment of the chain tension without tools, instant tightening of the chain.
- HIGH POWER BATTERY: 20V 2.0Ah matching battery provide enough power for the electric chainsaw. The battery charge only hour for full. The battery powered chainsaw can work for more than two hours with full power battery.
- CUSTOMER SATISFICATION: PowerSmart is always aiming on providing great consumers value with the absolute best price and quality entire line of products. All of our products qualify for a 2 years warranty, Our service team will provide premium service to help solve any problem.
- Include a 20V 1.5Ah battery that fits all PowerSmart cordless products
- The safety brake panel can stop the machine within 3 seconds
- Automatic oiling system – automatically provides lubrication of bar and chain
- Tool-free quick tension knob – instant tightening an easy adjustment of the chain tension without tools
- 10” bar and chain design for smooth and fast cuts
- Reviewers have questioned reliability in that it frequently stops even when fully-charged
- Suitable for smaller jobs only. Unsuitable for medium-sized jobs and bigger
- Made from not the best materials
- Low battery charge life
2. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
With smooth operation and less noise than other models, this lightweight and maneuverable chainsaw gets the job done. There is an auto-oiler with a transparent tank, making it easier to see. Lithium-ion technology has been taken to the next level and this chainsaw gives you the solution you’ve been looking for.
With a touch start button ready to get you moving, you’ll never look back. One charge delivers commanding power and it’s not common for a cordless chainsaw to get more than a general acknowledgement from the professionals. However, this tool has raised eyebrows from the pros and there’s a good reason for it.
Firstly, this chainsaw has a brushless motor that provides you with a much longer run time, more power and more torque, leading to a lot less wear and tear over time. The moment you let go, the saw stops – and so does the noise. Having a push-button start is a godsend when you’re not in a position to pull start a chainsaw.
The maintenance is reduced massively and the fact that it comes with a 4-year warranty is hugely attractive to buyers. The GreenWorks 40V chainsaw is compatible with the G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System and you also get up to 70% less vibration making it much more comfortable to use.
- 40V 16” CHAINSAW – Perfect for homeowners that need to tackle yard projects, or storm clean-up
- TRUBRUSHLESSTM MOTOR TECHNOLOGY – 2 x more torque. Provides more power, longer runtimes, quiet operation, and extended motor life
- CHAIN BRAKE – for added safety and reduced risk of injury
- AUTOMATIC OILER – delivers proper chain lubrication and increased productivity
- PRO STYLE TENSIONING – for easy bar and chain maintenance
- Brushless motor
- Low kickback
- Low vibration
- Great battery capacity
- Feels flimsy
3. Earthwise CS33016 Electric Chain Saw
This is an option that allows you to tackle the tough jobs with the electric-powered corded chainsaw. This is a model that is the perfect size for clearing brush, trimming trees, and stockpiling firewood. With a powerful 12 amp motor and a reliable 16” Oregon bar and chain, you are getting a chainsaw that has the best control possible for your needs.
Earthwise products pride themselves on being a clean air choice, with low maintenance and high-performance option. There’s no assembly to worry about, as it comes fully assembled in the package and doesn’t require any further building.
The plastic bar and chain cover add to the safety while clearing brush and trimming trees. There is also an extra safety button feature to add to keep you safe while you’re using this tool. At 9.9lb in weight, it’s not too light, but it’s still easy to handle when going and the easy tension adjustment requires no tools at all. There’s a secure wrap-around handle with an automatic oiling system – no gas, no fumes, and no leaks to contend with.
- Electric chainsaw with a 12-Amp motor that delivers power and performance comparable to gas chainsaws
- 16" bar and chainsaw chain for fast and clean cuts; The corded electric chainsaw includes protective bar blade cover for safe storage
- Earthwise Power Tools by ALM corded electric chainsaw with a convenient automatic oiling system and oil level window; Easy tensioner adjustment without the need for tools
- Electric chainsaw with a comfortable rubber over-molded grip and big loop assist handle
- Planet-friendly electrical saw that does not require fuel to function; Take out the hassle, fumes, and mess of fall clean-up around your home; 2-year warranty
- Comfortable handle
- Reliable warranty
- Tool-less adjustment
- Long Oregon bar
- Rather heavy
- Fussy adjustment settings
4. Makita XCU03PT 18V X2
The Makita XCU03PT 18V X2 LXT is a lithium-ion brushless cordless (5.0ah) 14″ chain saw kit in Makita’s signature teal color. With Makita Extreme Protection Technology, a series of protective seals that are inside the chainsaw, engineers channel water, dust, and debris away from the main internal components, making this chainsaw one of the most durable on the market. There are zero emissions and reduced maintenance with this chinsaw option, with no engine oil to change, no spark plug to replace and no air filter or muffler to clean. Simply load it up and the saw is ready to use and for you to get going! It’s very easy to use for your regular yard maintenance.
The Makita-built outer rotor BL brushless motor direct-drive system provides high power efficiency equivalent to a 32cc gas chain saw. This allows you to get the job done as soon as possible. With captured bar nuts and lateral chain tensioning for convenient operation and maintenance, there’s a variable speed trigger and high chain speed (0-3, 940 FPM) for improved cutting performance. It comes with 2 x 18V LXT lithium-Ion batteries, with up to 3x faster charging, for you to swap in and out to keep you powered up in the field. The batteries deliver 36V power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform and this model has only 87 dBa, which means a comfortable noise level. A built-in LED on/off switch with an auto power-off function, automatically shuts the saw off when the operation is delayed.
- No gas, emissions, oil mixing or pull starts with reduced maintenance and low noise levels
- Makita-built Outer Rotor BL Brushless Motor direct-drive system delivers power of a 32cc gas chain saw
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries deliver 36V power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform
- Up to 190 cuts in 4 x 4 cedar with two 18V LXT 5.0Ah batteries
- "Tool-less" chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance
- Includes two 18V batteries that effectively give 36V and 5Ah power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform
- Batteries fit all Makita cordless products
- Built-in lock-off lever helps prevent the blade from accidentally engaging
- Variable speed trigger (0-3, 940 FPM) for easy operation
- Tool-less chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance
- Compact handle design for operator comfort
- Power button time out is of poor design
- The chain is too thin that it binds if you tighten the bar
- Not suitable for serious cutting of a log or a tree stump
- Low battery charge life
5. Oregon 603352 Corded Chainsaw
This is the only self-sharpening corded electric chainsaw out there on the market today, with all the traditional conveniences of an electric saw. All you have to do is pull the red PowerSharp lever, and you’ll take the chain from dull to sharp in three seconds, so you’re never left with a dull chain ever again. It’s designed to be handled easily with lightweight features and low vibration for your comfort. Whilst we are on the subject of easy handling, this over-mold handle is designed to be easy to hold.
You want a low-maintenance saw, and this is one of them. It has a high-powered, 15 amp motor for fast cutting and with a 45cm reduced kickback guide bar and chain included, you get extra safety the whole time. This saw has an instant start, without the need for pull cords or warming up. Backed with a 2-year consumer warranty as well as a 1 year professional warranty, this is a reliable option for your sawing needs.
- Powerful performance: 15A electric chainsaw with integrated self-sharpening system (PowerSharp). The perfect chainsaw for homeowners and DIY, with long-lasting 18-inch guide bar
- Built-in PowerSharp self-sharpening system minimizes downtime by sharpening your chain in 3 to 5 seconds. Ergonomic design features Chain Brake for safety. Lightweight design.
- Tensioning without tools: Allows you to adjust your chain quickly and easily so that you can maintain the perfect tension, for the ideal cut, with next to no maintenance
- Instant startup: Corded electric chainsaws gets to work immediately. Low noise: makes less noise than a gasoline chainsaw. No assembly required, chainsaw comes pre-assembled. UL Certified & comes with 2-year warranty
- Automatic lubrication: Automatic oiling system that provide continuous lubrification to the bar & chain from the oil tank. It keeps the chain lubricated for less friction, to extend the life of your chain even in harsh environments
- Self-sharpening features
- Ready to use out of the box
- Long run time
- Doesn’t feel like it is built to last
6. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Chainsaw Kit
The DEWALT 20V MAX XR Chainsaw Kit is a cordless electric chainsaw that can be used for both long-term projects and short-term jobs. It is among the best electric chainsaws that come with everything you need to get started, including the 20V MAX XR battery, an Oregon bar and chain, the saw body, plastic carrying case, charger, and blade cover.
This electric chainsaw is compatible with all DEWALT 20V MAX tools, so you can utilize other tools in your inventory to complete the job.
The 20V DEWALT MAX XR Chainsaw, 12-Inch is the ideal chainsaw for cutting firewood and trimming trees in smaller yards. The lightweight design, combined with the power of a brushless motor, reduces fatigue while operating.
This chainsaw also features an automatic chain lubrication system to ensure that you don’t have to maintain the chain during your work. The 12-inch bar on this chainsaw lets you cut branches and firewood without pulling out a bulky, more complicated saw.
- It’s a lightweight electric chainsaw
- Easy to use
- Safe to use
- Tends to have a larger vibration than other large electric chainsaws.
- Cordless chainsaw comes with low kick back 12-inch bar and chain for construction and outdoor cutting applications
- Compact, lightweight design (just 9 lbs. with battery) of the battery chainsaw for maximum user control
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the battery powered chainsaw maximizes runtime and motor life
- Up to 90 cuts per charge on 4x4 pressure treated wood (using a 20V MAX* 5Ah battery)
- Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob for proper bar clamping force
7. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw
The BLACK+DECKER is a lightweight chainsaw designed to make quick work of lawns, trees, and branches. The unit features AutoTension™ for self-tensioning which adjusts the chain as you cut through various materials.
It features an electric brake to stop the chain within seconds. The automatic oiler keeps the bar and chain lubricated for continuous performance, even in dusty conditions.
The unit features an efficient brushless motor for increased runtime and durability.
This chainsaw features an electric brake to stop the chain within seconds, a drag chain, and a two-piece easy assembly/disassembly design for less downtime.
- Lightweight electric chainsaw
- Has a safety lock
- Also comes together with a manual system of lubrication
- Amazing battery life
- Not great for heavy-duty tasks
- Tool free blade tension system for improved ease of use & quick adjustments
- Lightweight design for ease of maneuverability & reduced fatigue
- Improved oiling system with clear window to gauge oil level
8. WORX WG303.1 14.5 Amp 16″ Electric Chainsaw
The WORX WG303.1 14.5 Amp 16″ Electric Chainsaw is one of the most versatile chainsaws on the market at this time because it has a number of design elements that make it safe for novices to operate while still being able to be used effectively by experienced pros.
The major selling point of the WORX WG303.1 Chainsaw is that it does not require any gas or oil to run, and starts with ease. The engine is powered by an electric motor that gets its energy from a standard electrical outlet using the supplied power cord.
This makes it easy to use in situations where there are no sources of gas available or where the two-cycle engines used in other gas-powered chainsaws give off unhealthy pollutants (such as around residential areas).
The WORX WG303.1 Chainsaw is lightweight, making it easy to carry around all day if necessary. It has a compact design so you can reach tight spaces when you need to. It’s also extremely quiet when in use, which makes it ideal when working around neighbors.
- Versatile electric chainsaw
- Easy to use
- Very quiet
- The chain gets loose quite faster
- [AUTO-TENSION] Patented system prevents over-tightening and increases the life of the motor, bar, and chain
- [AUTO-LUBRICATION] Keeps the chain running smooth and fast around the bar at 32 ft/s. And the oil-level indicator lets you know when you need to refill
- [CHAIN BRAKE] Prevent accidental cutting with the quick-stop chain break. One of the many features that makes this a safer chainsaw
- [FULL-WRAP HANDLE] The ergonomic front handle gives you leverage for both vertical and horizontal cutting. Find a grip that works for you
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
Electric Chainsaw vs. Gas Chainsaw Video
If you’ve never used an electric chainsaw before, you might be wondering how it stacks up against a gas model. Here is a great YouTube video running a side by side cutting comparison of gas and battery-powered chainsaws:
Corded Electric Chainsaws
Usually, corded chainsaws have a power cable that’ll connect to extension cords. They tend to be more powerful than battery-operated saws and are great for cutting down small trees and branches in your yard.
While they are limited in that they need to be within extension cord reach of an electrical outlet, you don’t have to worry about running out of juice like you can with battery-powered chainsaws. Another benefit is that they generally are able to cut through thicker and tougher logs than cordless saws.
Corded Chainsaw Features
- Driven by a motor of 8-14.5amps, but different saws will deliver different power outputs.
- Using extension cords can give you a maximum length of 100 feet.
- Looking for a saw with an automatic bar oiler can give you continuous lubrication of the chain. This avoids wear and tear.
- Usually, corded saws are heavier than the cordless options, weighing between 6-17lbs
Cordless Electric Chainsaws
Cordless chainsaws do not feature an extension cord, but rather draw power from rechargeable batteries. This gives you much more flexibility than corded electric saws, giving you a nearly unlimited range of use.
The better battery-powered chainsaws will give you roughly 2 hours of cutting time per charge, but that can vary significantly between different models. And keeping several sets of batteries allows you to charge one set while using the others, letting you cut all day if you need to.
Cordless Chainsaw Features
- Cordless electric chainsaw power output is measured in voltage. You’ll get between 24-82 volts for most models.
- Older models used to have nickel-cadmium batteries, but these aren’t as good as the lithium-ion batteries you can get now.
- Lithium-ion batteries won’t lose power while it’s being discharged and a high performance is maintained while cutting.
- Lithium-ion batteries only take an hour to charge.
- You can tighten the chain with the click of a button instead of using a screwdriver.
- The weight ranges between 5-15lb – depending on the model
Buying Guide: What to Look For
Now that you have found the perfect chainsaw for your needs, you are now deep into your quest for the best chainsaw sharpener; after all, having a chainsaw without a way to sharpen it yourself is foolish. Fortunately, you do not have to sit for hours with a small metal file these days and sharpen each blade by hand. Modern-day technology has developed electric chainsaw sharpeners that sharpen chains in no time.
A chainsaw sharpener works quickly, speeding up your overall productivity, especially when you are in the middle of a project. Ensuring your chainsaw has sharp teeth not only makes it easier to cut through wood neatly, it stops the engine from straining and prolongs the chainsaw’s life.
With so many options on the market and the weight of the responsibility that a chainsaw blade sharpener has to keep your chain in tip-top condition, you must find one that is compatible with your chainsaw. Because of this, we have put together a complete buyer’s guide. Follow the below guide when shopping around for the best chainsaw chain sharpener;
Type of Chainsaw Sharpener
There are a few different types of chainsaw sharpeners on the market to choose from. Everything from sharpeners with built-in lights, to bench, saw grinders and manual sharpeners, there is definitely a sharpener for you. Here is an overview of the main sharpener types and their benefits;
File Blade Sharpeners
Long blade files are hand-held sharpening tools that are great for sharpening individual blades. Files can be round or flat; however, you will find sharpening the blades by hand far easier if you use a round sharpener that perfectly fits the chain pitch.
Manual Grinder Sharpeners
Manual grinders are also used by hand to sharpen chainsaw blades. They are held at the correct angle for sharpening by a metal or plastic frame. Manual grinders are handy tools to have if you work outdoors as the sharpeners are lightweight, portable, and ready to be used at any time.
Battery Powered Sharpeners
Battery-powered sharpeners can be adjusted to suit your chainsaw. They are portable and do not need to be plugged into an electric socket.
These chainsaw sharpeners have the most advanced features and designs. They are powerful, easy to use, and will keep your chainsaw sharp and ready for sawing. Electric sharpeners have a large handle and knobs for ease of use.
Electric chainsaw sharpeners certainly are the best sharpeners for heavy-duty sharpening. They are extremely powerful and have an input power of at least 200 watts on average. Sharpeners with less than 180-watt input power may not be powerful enough for sharpening very dull chains.
An electric chainsaw sharpener should have a sturdy frame and easy-to-use components. Most sharpeners are designed to be mounted on any type of surface, which makes sharpening on-the-go easier.
If the sharpener is too lightweight, it may not be sturdy enough while in use. Having a slightly chunkier electric sharpener is a positive feature and one that makes sharpening using the tool more comfortable.
Chain size must be taken into consideration when shopping around for a chainsaw sharpener. Just like chainsaws come in all shapes and sizes, so do their sharpeners. Some manufacturers sell sharpeners compatible with their chainsaws. However, if you are familiar with your chainsaw and know the measurement between the blades, any sharpener of the same size will do.
Frequency of Use
Believe it or not, how frequently you will be using your chainsaw will affect your decision on which one to buy. For those of you planning to use your chainsaw frequently, an electric or battery-powered sharpener will be more convenient. Handheld file sharpeners are only appropriate for people that aren’t going to be using their chainsaw very much, so the long sharpening process is more manageable.
Not every chainsaw sharpener is compatible with all of the popular chainsaws on the market. You might wonder why the Oregon 510-120 bench saw chain grinder and the Oregon 410-120 are popular choices; this is because they are easily adjustable and compatible with most chainsaws.
Before choosing a chainsaw sharpener, you must check its compatibility with your chainsaw. If you do not do this, you run the risk of purchasing a sharpener that isn’t appropriate for your chainsaw.
Build and Quality
The chainsaw is important when it comes down to sharpening your chain. A flimsy sharpener with unstable grinding wheels or bench mounting makes the filing kit almost unusable.
High-quality and stable sharpeners should be made of rustproof material – such as stainless steel. Sharpeners that use grinding stone to sharpen blades wear down very quickly; this is a feature to consider when looking for a saw sharpener.
It is time to understand precisely what you should look out for when shopping for electric chain saws. Follow the guide below to better understand what you are looking for in a chainsaw.
Before picking a chainsaw, think about the cutting performance you want it to have, as well as whether you require a heavy-duty chainsaw or one for tree pruning and general maintenance. You wouldn’t use the same chainsaw for cutting firewood as you would on a construction site, so be specific in your needs.
1. Corded Chainsaw
Corded electric chainsaws never run out of power; as long as they are plugged into a power socket, they can run. They are not as powerful as gas-powered chainsaws, but they are a lot quieter. The downside of using an electric chainsaw is that you may need to use an extension cord to use the chainsaw where you want to.
2. Gas Powered Chainsaw
Gas-powered chainsaws are built for heavy-duty cutting, extremely powerful, and very loud. They can cut through thick and rigid material and are great for cutting wood quickly and precisely.
3. Cordless Chainsaws/Battery Powered Chainsaws
Cordless chainsaws are battery-powered, you should always look for a lithium-ion battery-powered chainsaw as these batteries do not deteriorate at a rapid speed. You will look for a battery-powered cordless chainsaw if you need to complete simple maintenance jobs in a garage or home.
They do not have the cutting power to cut through thick, heavy material, but they do a great job at pruning trees. Cordless chainsaws have a run time between 1 and 2 hours; if the chainsaw you are contemplating has a run time of less than 1 hour, you should seriously reconsider.
Ease of Use
It is important to be comfortable and confident in operating a chainsaw. Some chainsaws are more comfortable to use than others, so ensure you find an appropriate chainsaw for your skill level.
If you are just starting out, and are inexperienced in using chainsaws, battery-powered or electric chainsaws are easier to manage. Gas-powered chainsaws are probably the most complicated to operate and are by far the heaviest, so keep this in mind when shopping around for the best chainsaw.
Chainsaws have a few safety features, below is a list of the safety features found on most high-quality chainsaws and a short explanation about what they do to keep the power tool safe.
1. Chain Catcher
Chainsaw chains require weekly general maintenance and must be cleaned and oiled regularly. The chain catcher is there to protect the chainsaw user in case the chain breaks while in use. If the chainsaw chain breaks and the chainsaw does not have a chain catcher, the chain can fling back and hurt the operator.
2. Chain Brake
The chain brake stops the saw within two or three seconds. It is designed to be used when the chainsaw ‘kicks back’. Kickback is the term used when the chainsaw is forced upwards and backward when it is either being misused or cuts hard and thick wood.
3. Right-Hand Guard
A right-hand guard protects your fingers if the chain breaks.
4. Throttle lock
The throttle lock has got to be activated before turning on the throttle. This feature stops the throttle from being accidentally operated.
5. Stop Button
However, every chainsaw has a stop button, where the stop button is positioned makes a huge difference to the chainsaw’s ease of use and safety. Look for a chainsaw that has a conveniently positioned stop button that can be pushed in the event of an emergency.
A chainsaw’s automatic oiler is activated when the throttle is pulled. Once stimulated, the oil is sent to the bar, and chain oil is dispersed evenly while the chains turn. Every chainsaw has an oiling system; however, it may not be automatic. Fixed, automatic, and adjustable oiling methods are used to oil chainsaws, but automatic oiling is the most convenient.
Weight and Size
Chainsaws come in all shapes and sizes. You can find chainsaws as small as 10 or 12 inches, and as large as 20 inches. 20-inch chainsaws are usually only used for cutting trees, so most of you will not need a chainsaw quite as long. 14 and 16-inch chainsaws are the standard chainsaw sizes.
When it comes to weight, chainsaws vary greatly. The same-sized chainsaw can have a difference of 4 or 5 lbs depending on the type of fuel it runs on. Gas-powered chainsaws are a lot heavier than electric chainsaws, so if weight is a big factor for you, it is worth considering this before making a purchase.
Electric chainsaws, on average, have 15 amp motors. Battery-powered chainsaws are less powerful, while gas-powered motors are so powerful that they are hard to control when tackling small jobs.
Everyone has a budget to stick to, and luckily for us, chainsaws vary so much in price that everyone’s needs can be met all while sticking to their price limit. When thinking about cost, think about maintenance costs too.
Now that you have become familiar with all of the chainsaw sharpeners reviewed in this article, you most likely have a couple of questions regarding chainsaw sharpeners. Below is a list of frequently asked questions along with their answers that should help you;
Q: Why does my chainsaw blade get dull so fast?
A: Your chainsaw may be dulling so fast because you are applying too much pressure on the chainsaw when you cut wood.
Q: Is it worth sharpening a chainsaw blade?
A: It is absolutely worth taking the time out to sharpen your chainsaw blade. In doing so, you will saw through wood consistently and produce sharp, neat edges. Using a dull chainsaw can damage the chainsaw’s motor, resulting in expensive repairs in the future.
Q: What is the best way to sharpen a chainsaw chain?
A: The best way to sharpen a chainsaw chain is by using a chainsaw sharpener that is compatible with your chainsaw. Electric chainsaw sharpeners are considered by many to be the best way to sharpen your chainsaw chain.
Q: Do chainsaw sharpeners really work?
A: Chainsaw sharpeners are useful pieces of equipment to have in your tool kit. They really do sharpen your chainsaw blades and help in keeping the chainsaw accurate and precise.
Q: What is the best angle to sharpen a chainsaw?
A: In general, chainsaw blades are sharpened at a 30-degree angle. However, this may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so follow your chainsaw’s sharpening recommendations.
Q: Can I sharpen my chainsaw without using a file guide?
A: Yes, it is possible to sharpen a chainsaw without using a file guide.
Q: How often do you need to sharpen your chainsaw?
A: If you sharpen your chainsaw with a file guide, it is worth swiping the blades with the file guide before every use. That way, the chainsaw never dulls too much.
Q: Can you sharpen a chainsaw with a flat-file?
A: Yes, you can; however, if you choose to sharpen your chainsaw using a file, you will find it easier to use a round file instead.
Q: How much does it cost to have your chainsaw sharpened professionally?
A: The price varies greatly depending on the amount of work that needs to be put into sharpening the blades. It can cost as little as $10 or as much as $100.
Q: What is the best electric chainsaw on the market?
A: The Makita UC4051A Electric Chainsaw and the BLACK+DECKER Lithium-Ion Chainsaw are the best electric chainsaws on the market.
Q: Are electric chainsaws any good?
A: Electric chainsaws are brilliant because they are much quieter than gas-powered saws and are relatively light-weight and portable. They can be used for cutting small logs and for tree maintenance.
Q: Are electric chainsaws more dangerous?
A: All chainsaws are dangerous, and no one chainsaw is more dangerous than the other. Regardless of the chainsaw you use, you must follow strict safety procedures while operating a chainsaw.
Q: What should you not do with a chainsaw?
A: Never run with a chainsaw in your hand, avoid cutting with the tip of the blade as debris can fling up and hurt you, and never lift the chainsaw up near your face.
Q: Do I need a license to use an electric chainsaw?
A: No, you do not need a license or any form of training to use a chainsaw.
Q: Should you run a chainsaw at full throttle?
A: Chainsaws should be run at full throttle when being used to cut timber.
Q: How long should you run a chainsaw?
A: Different types of chainsaws have different run times. A gas chainsaw can not run for longer than an hour without needing to be refilled. Some battery-powered chainsaws can run for much longer and can even be run for two hours without needing to be charged.
Q: From what age can you use a chainsaw?
A: The U.S. Department of Labor has announced that persons from the age of 16 are responsible enough to use a chainsaw. That includes cleaning, operating, and adjusting the power tool.
Q: Do you start a chainsaw with the brake on?
A: You must always start a chainsaw with the chain brake on.