Top 5 Electric Chainsaws Reviewed
One of the most versatile tools that you could have in your toolbox is an electric chainsaw. Finding the best cordless chainsaw around isn’t’ straightforward, though, because there are just so many options!
Choosing the right one? That’s the tough part, but you get to think about the differences between cordless and corded, battery or not before you get started. You need to consider how much you’ll be using your chainsaw and whether you need it for big jobs or small. No matter what, you have to consider your own comfort, because as the user you’re going to need to ensure that you can continue to hold the chainsaw and be comfortable at the same time.
Cordless Chainsaws vs. Corded Chainsaws
You can choose between corded chainsaws and cordless models, and which one you decide to choose is going to depend on your needs. Some people need to use one with a cord and others go into remote areas to use a saw, which means a cordless version is often more helpful. You can always bring extra batteries with you to charge your chainsaw, you can’t always find a power supply. Both of these types of chainsaw are impressive, but it’s down to preference as to whether you pick corded or cordless. There are some other factors to consider, though, like weight, price and output and these will always influence your choice. So, let’s take a look at the differences between the two.
Before you shop, it’s always better to look into the models out there on the market, and we’ve got the top five options for you below.
Electric Chainsaw Comparison Chart
Best Electric Chainsaws
It’s a perfect saw for light pruning, and if you’ve got an overgrown yard you won’t have any trouble with this brand. You get a 10 inch premium Oregon low kickback bar and chain and Oregon is one of the leading manufacturers of guide bars and chains – this confirms the quality of the saw. In terms of safety, there’s a lock button positioned at the top of the rubber handle, and you won’t be able to accidentally start. There’s also a guard on the back of the right hand to protect you against flying debris. It’s an excellent tool for close quarter cutting and you’re not restricted by the cord.
- 20V MAX lithium battery for long run-time and long life- stays charged up to 5x longer
- 10" premium Oregon low kickback bar & chain
- Compatible with 20V max outdoor and power tools
- Lithium ion Battery - lightweight, long life, and no memory effect
Firstly, this chainsaw has a brushless motor that provides you with a much longer run time, more power and more torque, leading to a lot less wear and tear over time. The moment you let go, the saw stops – and so does the noise. Having a push button start is a godsend when you’re not in a position to pull start a chainsaw. The maintenance is reduced massively and the fact that it comes with a 4 year warranty is hugely attractive to buyers. The GreenWorks 40V chainsaw is compatible with the G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System and you also get up to 70% less vibration making it much more comfortable to use.
- Our Greenworks Brushless motor provides your Greenworks tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Compatible with Greenworks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion system offering a range of tools to Choose from
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; oil tank: translucent
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. One battery powers more than 25 tools. Battery capacity
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety. Electronic chain brake prevents from accidental kick-backs.Saw Pitch:0.375 inches
The plastic bar and chain cover add to the safety while clearing brush and trimming trees. There is also an extra safety button feature to add to keeping you safe while you’re using this tool. At 9.9lb in weight, it’s not too light, but it’s still easy to handle when going and the easy tension adjustment requires no tools at all. There’s a secure wrap around handle with an automatic oiling system – no gas, no fumes and no leaks to contend with.
- Powerful 12-Amp motor delivers power and performance similar to gas-powered chainsaws
- 16" Oregon bar and chain for a fast, clean cut; Corded electric chainsaw includes protective bar and chain cover included safe storage
- Corded electric chainsaw features automatic oiling system with oil level window and tool-free tensioner adjustment
- Rubber over molded grip with big loop assist handle for comfort during use; Requires no gas or oil, resulting in no fumes and no mess
- Take the hassle out of fall clean-up around the house and yard with this corded electric chainsaw
This Makita-built motor delivers 1,650 fpm chain speed allowing faster cutting, allowing you to get the job done as soon as possible. With this particular product, there are two 18V LXT Lithium-ion batteries that are included to keep you powered up in the field – with up to 3x faster charging, you will get a much better quality cut. You can deliver power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform, and this model only has 87 dBa, which means you get comfortable sound. As it’s an electric chainsaw, there are zero emissions for operator comfort.
- Makita-built motor delivers 1, 650 FPM chain speed for faster cutting
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries (included) deliver power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform
- Low NOISE level at only 87 dba) and zero emissions for operator comfort
- 12" Guide bar for increased capacity
- "Tool-less" Chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance
You want a low maintenance saw, and this is one of them. It has a high powered, 15 amp motor for fast cutting and with a 45cm reduced kickback guide bar and chain included, you get extra safety the whole time. This saw has an instant start, without the need for pull cords or warming up. Backed with a 2 year consumer warranty as well as a 1 year professional warranty, this is a reliable option for your sawing needs.
- Includes 18” guide bar and PowerSharp chain, which minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw in 3 seconds or less.
- Get to work right away with the instant start capability
- The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction and increases the saw’s run time
- No assembly required; comes pre-assembled
- Low noise, silent between cuts. Chain brake for added safety
Electric Chainsaw vs. Gas Chainsaw Video
If you’ve never used an electric chainsaw before, you might be wondering how it stacks up against a gas model. Here is a great YouTube video running a side by side cutting comparison of gas and battery powered chainsaws:
Corded Electric Chainsaws
Usually, corded chainsaws have a power cable that’ll connect to extension cords. They tend to be more powerful than battery operated saws, and are great for cutting down small trees and branches in your yard. While they are limited in that they need to be within extension cord reach of an electrical outlet, you don’t have to worry about running out of juice like you can with battery powered chainsaws. Another benefit is that they generally are able to cut through thicker and tougher logs than cordless saws.
Corded Chainsaw Features
- Driven by a motor of 8-14.5amps, but different saws will deliver different power outputs.
- Using extension cords can give you a maximum length of 100 feet.
- Looking for a saw with an automatic bar oiler can give you continuous lubrication of the chain. This avoids wear and tear.
- Usually, corded saws are heavier than the cordless options, weighing between 6-17lbs
Cordless Electric Chainsaws
Cordless chainsaws do not feature an extension cord, but rather draw power from rechargeable batteries. This gives you much more flexibility than corded electric saws, giving you nearly unlimited range of use. The better battery powered chainsaws will give you roughly 2 hours of cutting time per charge, but that can vary significantly between different models. And keeping several sets of batteries allows you to charge one set while using the others, letting you cut all day if you need to.
Cordless Chainsaw Features
- Cordless electric chainsaw power output is measured in voltage. You’ll get between 24-82 volts for most models.
- Older models used to have nickel-cadmium batteries, but these aren’t as good as the lithium-ion batteries you can get now.
- Lithium-ion batteries won’t lose power while it’s being discharged and a high performance is maintained while cutting.
- Lithium-ion batteries only take an hour to charge.
- You can tighten the chain with the click of a button instead of using a screwdriver.
- The weight ranges between 5-15lb – depending on the model
- best electric log splitter
- best wood chipper
- best firewood rack
- best chainsaw sharpener
- best battery powered chainsaw
Last Updated on