When it comes to woodworking, dust collectors are some of the most vital pieces of equipment to have in your space, for the sake of both convenience and safety. Not only is the woodworking a messy job, but the possibility of getting sawdust in your eye or throat can make it dangerous as well.
Every woodshop varies, and therefore the kind of equipment it needs varies as well. For instance, if your particular woodshop is short on space, it would be smart to check the dimensions of your options. If you are short on outlets or power sources, consider purchasing a tool with a power source that is not an electric cord. The price of these tools compared to the money you have to hand tends to be the most common obstacle.
Because of these tricky details, if you need workshop dust collection, deciding on the strongest contender can be challenging. That’s why we have deconstructed the options available into clear, understandable points, helping you choose the best machine for your specific needs.
Dust Collector Comparison Table
We look at the top models in greater detail below, but for those in a hurry, here is a quick comparison of the woodshop dust collectors in our roundup:
We’ve compared the top shop dust collection systems on Amazon, particularly focusing on the ones offered at the best prices. Read on for our top 5 reviews:
This SHOP FOX tool was released in February of 2009.
It weighs in at 108 pounds and has dimensions of 22.2 x 37 x 22.5 inches.
Its Amazon reviews show it has been purchased 150+ times, and can be bought in just a few clicks from the website.
Plenty of people have reviewed its performance (of which a summary of the positives and drawbacks can be found below) – here’s why we like it:
SHOP FOX W1685 Pros
- Affordable price and free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has been reviewed by over 150 customers
- Ranks highly for both dust collectors and general air cleaners
- Has a horsepower of 1.5
- Its motor operates at 3,450 revolutions per minute to ensure top performance
- Has air suction capacity of about 1,280 CFM
- Long-lasting, as displayed by reviewers who have used it for a year or more
- Has a steel, heavy-duty motor
- Ineligible for international shipping outside the United States
- Has a warranty of 24 months limited parts, which could potentially fail to serve you (though the details are available next to the product itself)
- Was said by several reviewers that the packaging and shipping was executed poorly
This device is popular on Amazon and is one of the most cost-efficient options. It ships free within the United States and has generally more positives than it does negatives.
- Powder coated paint
- Bag volume: 5.4 cubic feet
- Static pressure: 10.1-Inch. Interior Hose Diameter (In.) - 6
- Air suction capacity: Approximately 1,280 CFM
- Standard bag filtration: 2.5 Microns
The JET DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP Dust Collector features a permanently lubricated, totally enclosed, fan-cooled motor of 1.5 horsepower that is rated for continuous duty. Also, an exclusive Vortex Cone that improves chip separation to prevent clogging of the filter and increases packing efficiency of the collector bag. This eliminates premature filter clogging for sustained performance.
The high air velocity (CFM) stands up to any competitive specifications, and the industrial controls are designed for years of durable use. With quick-connection collection bags that have a snap ring for easy and fast installation and removal and casters for maneuverability within the workshop, this model provides convenience and versatility.
Its single-stage design delivers economical and quiet operation, with industrial controls designed for years of trouble-free use. Includes four casters for maneuverability and total portability.
Jet DC-1100VX-5M Pros
- Single-stage design for economical and quiet operation
- Vortex Cone improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency
- Industrial controls designed for years of trouble-free use
- Eliminates premature filter clogging for sustained performance
- Quick-connect collection bags with an elastic band for fast, easy installation and removal
- High air velocity (CFM) design stands up to any competitive specifications
- Permanently lubricated, totally enclosed, fan-cooled motors are rated for continuous-duty
- Includes four casters for maneuverability and total portability.
- 5-year warranty
- 1.5 Hp
- Comes with a 5-micron bag filter kit
- Designed to operate quietly
- Generally easy assembly
- Requires fewer bag changes than most
- The pricing is between average and somewhat expensive and doesn’t include free shipping
- Some reviewers have referred to it being slightly less powerful than anticipated, and that it would be wiser to invest in something sturdier
- VORTEX CONE: Improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency.
- QUICK-CONNECT COLLECTION BAGS: Fast, easy installation and removal.
- HIGH AIR VELOCITY DESIGN: Stands up to any competitive specifications.
- PERMANENTLY-LUBRICATED, TOTALLY-ENCLOSED, FAN-COOLED MOTORS: Rated for continuous duty.
- INCLUDES FOUR CASTERS: For maneuverability and total portability.
This 1.5 horsepower dust collector from POWERTEC serves as a versatile and powerful dust collecting workhorse at an amazing price. Whether you’re in need of a stationary, centralized or portable option for your workshop, the DC1512 works seamlessly with an assortment of woodworking machines. It is designed to offer functional versatility eliminating unnecessary spacing consuming dust collecting accessories, while maximizing your workspace and keeping it free of dust and debris. The unit’ s upper filter bag effectively cleans, purifies and filters the workshop air, capturing even the smallest fine dust, allergens, pollutants and particulate matter down to 2.5 microns in size. The clear, fresh air is returned from the filter back into the room, and the extracted dust/chips efficiently cascade downward into the collection bag.
POWERTEC DC1512 Pros
- 1.5 horsepower, single phase motor that performs at 3,450 RPM
- Can handle projects of all sizes, at home or on a job site
- Compact size for a small storage footprint
- Portable base size of 21-1/2 x 33-1/2 inches and caster wheels, working as both a mobile or stationary compact dust collector
- 4″ dual inlet connector included for attachment to the main frame housing’s 6″ opening
- Comes with two types of collection bags
- Upper filter bag effectively traps up to 99% of fine dust particles
- Lower plastic bag captures large dust particles, wood chips and debris.
- The unit is less compact and heavier than advertised
- Some reviewers have expressed disappointment with build and inspection quality issues
- The heat seal at the bottom seem of the bags was poorly made and was missing in several places
- 20″ bags measure 21″ which make it impossible to get an air tight seal
With a powerful motor and good build quality, the POWERTEC DC1512 dust collector has the potential to give plent of bang for the buck at it’s attractive price. However, it’s let down by the bag being a little bit too large and affecting performance.
- Includes: 1. 5 HP dust collector
- Air suction capacity: 1, 250 CFM
- Power: 1. 5 horsepower, 120V/ 240V, 60Hz, single-phase motor
- Superior bag filtration: the unit's upper filter bag cleans, purifies and filters the air, capturing even the smallest fine dust, allergens, pollutants and particulate matter down to 2. 5 microns in size
- Versatile size: features a portable base size of 21-1/2 x 33-1/2 inches and caster wheels, working as both a mobile or stationary compact dust collector unit that maximizes shop space
This second SHOP FOX model weighs just 55 pounds, with dimensions of 16.5 x 28.1 x 19.6 inches. This particular tool was designed with portability in mind, so the user is able to move it as they please – great for workers who use several different workspaces or just want the freedom to move it around when working.
The safety switch and removable key make this device a wise choice for those who share workspaces with others or want to optimize safety. SHOP FOX promises that the collection bag on this model is easy to remove and empty into a trash can, ready for use again swiftly.
SHOP FOX W1727 Pros
- This is the most affordable of the bunch, and includes free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has a rating of 4.2/5 from 108 customers
- Ranks #6 in dust collectors and general air cleaners on Amazon
- Has air suction capacity of 800 CFM
- Bag filtration of 2.5 microns
- Said by reviewers to have easy assembly
- Very mobile
- Quiet when operating
- Typically thought of as a “manageable” size
- Does not list information on a possible warranty
- Was considered by some customers to somewhat lack power
This small woodshop dust collection device has some of the best feedback compared to its competitors, and is one of the cheapest options as well. It is not as sturdy as many of its competitors, but this means it’s not so heavy and is more portable. This machine offers easy function and usability for a wide range of customers.
- Motor: 1 HP, 120V/240V, single-phase, prewired 110V
- Motor amp draw: 9A/4.5A
- Air suction capacity: 800 CFM
- Standard bag filtration: 2.5 microns
- Portable base size: 15-3/4" x 39-3/4"
The Delta Power Equipment 50-767 Dust Collector includes the motor and blower, 50-766 canister, support frame, a 1-micron bag with sewn-in bag ring, a 6-mil plastic chip collection bag, a snap-in filter bag ring, two 4″ intake ports, two swivel caster assemblies, and two large 8″ wheels.
The powerful 110V 1440-Watts TEFC induction motor of 1.5 horsepower, provides long-lasting, smooth performance with protection from damaging dust. The standard 1-micron filtration bag keeps your shop safer and cleaner.
While the sewn-in, snap-in filter bag ring design means that it’s faster, easier, and eliminates the need for cam-over-lock style clamps. Your purchase is backed by the Delta 5-year warranty.
Delta Power Equipment 50-767 Dust Collector Pros
- 5-star Amazon rating from 21 reviews
- 110V 1440-Watts 1.5 Hp TEFC induction motor
- Chip Back Area: 1.7 cu ft (48L)
- Comes with a 1-micron bag filter kit
- Has airbags that can be easily installed and removed
- Eliminates filter clogging
- With casters for maneuverability and total portability.
- 5-year warranty
- Easy operation and assembly
- A previous user found a manufacturing defect and quality control issue with the rear stand cross support
- Great product, but the customer care needs improvement
- Standard 1 micron filtration bag keeps your shop safer and cleaner
- Sewn in, snap-in filter bag ring is faster, easier and eliminates the need for cam-over-lock style Clamps
- Fit with Delta canister 50-766
- Delta 5-year warranty
- Powerful TEFC induction motor for long-lasting, smooth performance with protection from damaging dus
There is a lot to take in when it comes to your options for a durable and reliable device that serves the purpose of keeping your space clean and protecting your health. Due to these machines’ functions, they’re truly an investment, but one that is necessary. Price, efficiency, accessibility, voltage use, and more are all aspects to consider when figuring out the right dust collector for you.
Here is a good YouTube video giving more information about woodshop dust collection:
Between the choices listed, we’ve tried to make it clear which will best fit your needs mainly depending on price, power and portability. However, health and safety should always the top priority, and all of these appliances will help to keep you safe in the workshop.
- electric demolition hammer
- deck sander
- thickness planer
- belt grinder for knife making
- drill press for woodworking