Top Dust Collectors Reviewed
When it comes to woodworking, dust collectors are some of the most vital pieces of equipment to have in your space, for the sake of both convenience and safety. Not only is the woodworking a messy job, but the possibility of getting sawdust in your eye or throat can make it dangerous as well.
Every woodshop varies, and therefore the kind of equipment it needs varies as well. For instance, if your particular woodshop is short on space, it would be smart to check the dimensions of your options. If you are short on outlets or power sources, consider purchasing a tool with a power source that is not an electric cord. The price of these tools compared to the money you have to hand tends to be the most common obstacle.
Because of these tricky details, if you need work shop dust collection, deciding on the strongest contender can be challenging. That’s why we have deconstructed the options available into clear, understandable points, helping you choose the best machine for your specific needs.
Dust Collector Comparison Table
We look at the top models in greater detail below, but for those in a hurry, here is a quick comparison of the wood shop dust collectors in our roundup:
Best Dust Collectors
We’ve compared the top shop dust collection systems on Amazon, particularly focusing on the ones offered at the best prices. Read on for our top 5 reviews:
It weighs in at 108 pounds and has dimensions of 22.2 x 37 x 22.5 inches.
Its Amazon reviews show it has been purchased 150+ times, and can be bought in just a few clicks from the website.
Plenty of people have reviewed its performance (of which a summary of the positives and drawbacks can be found below) – here’s why we like it:
SHOP FOX W1685 Pros
- Affordable price and free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has been reviewed by over 150 customers
- Ranks highly for both dust collectors and general air cleaners
- Has a horsepower of 1.5
- Its motor operates at 3,450 revolutions per minute to ensure top performance
- Has air suction capacity of about 1,280 CFM
- Long lasting, as displayed by reviewers who have used it for a year or more
- Has a steel, heavy-duty motor
- Ineligible for international shipping outside the United States
- Has a warranty of 24 months limited parts, which could potentially fail to serve you (though the details are available next to the product itself)
- Was said by several reviewers that the packaging and shipping was executed poorly
This device is popular on Amazon and is one of the most cost-efficient options. It ships free within the United States and has generally more positives than it does negatives.
- Powder coated paint
- Bag volume: 5.4 cubic feet
- Static pressure: 10.1-Inch
- Air suction capacity: Approximately 1,280 CFM
- Standard bag filtration: 2.5 Microns
The design is easy to function, has great adaptability, and is convenient for the user, as its straightforward operations and lightweight frame mean it can be used by most people. It has made the rounds among many other woodworkers, as displayed by its feedback and reviews.
Jet DC-1100VX-5M Pros
- Has a decent rating of 3.7/5 from 18 customers
- Ranks #38 in dust collectors and general air cleaners
- Has a 5-year warranty
- Has a horsepower of 1.50
- Comes with a 5-micron bag filter kit
- Designed to operate quietly
- Has air bags that can be easily installed and removed
- Generally easy assembly
- Eliminates filter clogging
- Operates as a vortex, meaning it can more efficiently separate sawdust
- Requires fewer bag changes than most
- The pricing is between average and somewhat expensive, and doesn’t include free shipping
- Some reviewers have referred to it being slightly less powerful than anticipated, and that it would be wiser to invest in something sturdier
While not clearly the “best” or “worst” option as far as any of its features go, this piece of equipment is an above average and reliable one. It has its fair share of positive traits and satisfies far more customers than it disappoints. It is very good for what it is, but is ideal for circumstances that call for a compact size due to its weight and dimensions.
- Vortex Cone improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency
- Eliminates premature filter clogging for sustained performance
- Single-stage design for economical and quiet operation
- Industrial controls designed for years of trouble-free use
- Quick-connect collection bags with elastic band for fast, easy installation and removal
Recognizing the need for strength and easy usability, Powermatic built this machine with those two factors in mind. It has the clever capability of preventing clogs in its system and its Turbo Cone feature filters out chips allowing the collector bag to be backed efficiently. The company say that the product can filter as much as 6x the surface area of other bags.
Powermatic PM1300TX-CK Pros
- Has a high Amazon rating of 4/5 from 24 customers
- 5-year warranty
- Designed to improve separation of dust and chips, and packing efficiency
- Eliminates filter clogging
- Remote-controlled timer
- Designed for top-notch air flow
- Comes with an easy-to-follow manual
- Highly efficient, as displayed by a reviewer who had hooked it up to seven separate tools
- Operates quietly while running
- More expensive than some of its competitors, at $979.99 with free shipping
- Ranks #64 in dust collectors and general air cleaners (though with more promotion should become more popular)
- Some reviewers have expressed disappointment with the motor and trapping abilities of the device
While it is pricier than many of its air cleaning counterparts, its high rating, high-powered features, and rave reviews come together to portray this option as a very sustainable. The Powermatic appears to be a great investment and lives up to its name.
- Turbo Cone improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency
- The cone eliminates premature filter clogging for sustained performance
- Remote-controlled digital timer can be programmed for up to 99 minutes
- Canister filter offers over six times filtering surface area of standard bags
- All-metal duct construction for rigidity and improved air flow
The safety switch and removable key makes this device a wise choice for those who share work spaces with others or want to optimize safety. SHOP FOX promise that the collection bag on this model is easy to remove and empty into a trash can, ready for use again swiftly.
SHOP FOX W1727 Pros
- This is the most affordable of the bunch, and includes free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has a rating of 4.2/5 from 108 customers
- Ranks #6 in dust collectors and general air cleaners on Amazon
- Has air suction capacity of 800 CFM
- Bag filtration of 2.5 microns
- Said by reviewers to have easy assembly
- Very mobile
- Quiet when operating
- Typically thought of as a “manageable” size
- Does not list information on a possible warranty
- Was considered by some customers to somewhat lack power
This small woodshop dust collection device has some of the best feedback compared to its competitors, and is one of the cheapest options as well. It is not as sturdy as many of its competitors, but this means it’s not so heavy and is more portable. This machine offers easy function and usability for a wide range of customers.
- Motor: 1 HP, 120V/240V, single-phase, prewired 110V
- Motor amp draw: 9A/4.5A
- Air suction capacity: 800 CFM
- Standard bag filtration: 2.5 microns
- Portable base size: 15-3/4" x 39-3/4"
This shop dust collection device has only one Amazon review, which might put some customers off – but it should be known that this is a really well-built machine by respected industrial metal- and wood-work brand Baileigh. It has a high price point for a reason, due to its capability to filter the air in a workspace containing up to 5 machines for up to 8 hours per day. Its smart filters prevent buildups in the system and is remote-controlled so workers can operate it from across the room.
Baileigh DC-1450C Pros
- Has a 5/5 rating – but has only been rated by 1 Amazon customer
- Designed to operate quietly
- Remote controlled for optimal efficiency
- Has air suction capacity of 1,450 CFM
- Has a horsepower of 2
- Has a compact size
- Can run for up to 6 to 8 hours per day
- Is of the cyclone style, meaning its dust separation is more efficient
- Does not require replacement filters, nor require any specific kind of bag
- Manufacturer offers technical support for a whole lifetime via phone
- One of the more expensive options, at up to $2,058.12 with free shipping, making it significantly less affordable than its woodworking counterparts
- Ranks #168 in dust collectors and general air cleaners on Amazon
- Does not cooperate with metalworking needs
Simply put, this is a highly-powerful machine that will optimize the air quality in your workshop – but for a price. Where safety is concerned, though, you get out what you put in. It’s simple to use, easy to construct and has great suction. If you have the money, the Baileigh dust collection system is strongly recommended.
- 1 micron filter
- Rolling base and canister
- Dual 4" inlet
- Quick lift barrel release
- Radio Frequency remote control
There is a lot to take in when it comes to your options for a durable and reliable device that serves the purpose of keeping your space clean and protecting your health. Due to these machines’ functions, they’re truly an investment, but one that is necessary. Price, efficiency, accessibility, voltage use, and more are all aspects to consider when figuring out the right dust collector for you.
Here is a good YouTube video giving more information about wood shop dust collection:
Between the choices listed, we’ve tried to make it clear which will best fit your needs mainly depending on price, power and portability. However, health and safety should always the top priority, and all of these appliances will help to keep you safe in the workshop.