When it comes to woodworking, dust collectors are some of the most vital pieces of equipment to have in your space, for the sake of both convenience and safety.
Not only is the woodworking a messy job, but the possibility of getting sawdust in your eye or throat can make it dangerous as well. You need the best dust collector for efficient results.
Every woodshop varies, and therefore the kind of equipment it needs varies as well. For instance, if your particular woodshop is short on space, it would be smart to check the dimensions of your options.
If you are short on outlets or power sources, consider purchasing a tool with a power source that is not an electric cord. The price of these tools compared to the money you have to hand in tends to be the most common obstacle.
Because of these tricky details, if you need a workshop dust collection system, deciding on the strongest contender can be challenging. That’s why we have deconstructed the options available into clear, understandable points, helping you choose the best machine for your specific needs.
Dust Collector Comparison Table
We look at the top models in greater detail below, but for those in a hurry, here is a quick comparison of the woodshop dust collectors in our roundup:
We’ve compared the top shop dust collection systems on Amazon, particularly focusing on the ones offered at the best prices. Read on for our top 5 reviews:
1. SHOP FOX W1685 1.5-Horsepower 1,280 CFM Dust Collector
This SHOP FOX tool was released in February of 2009.
It weighs in at 108 pounds and has dimensions of 22.2 x 37 x 22.5 inches.
Its Amazon reviews show it has been purchased 150+ times and can be bought in just a few clicks from the website.
The SHOP FOX W1685 1.5-horsepower dust collector is a powerful unit that can handle up to 1,280 cubic feet per minute (CFM) of air flow. This unit is perfect for the home workshop, as it can easily collect wood dust and debris from power tools such as table saws, miter saws, and drill presses.
It is equipped with two 4-inch dust ports, which allow you to connect two tools simultaneously. This collector also includes a 14-inch steel impeller and a 5-micron cloth filter bag. The impeller and filter bag can be easily replaced when needed.
This dust collector is easy to set up and maintain. The metal frame is powder-coated for durability. The unit comes with a 2-year warranty, 30-day money-back guarantee, and lifetime technical support from the manufacturer.
The W1685 offers a lot of power in a compact size that makes it easy to store during periods of nonuse. The 1 1/2-horsepower motor and 1,280 CFM air flow means you can connect it to a variety of power tools for efficient dust removal. This unit is also small enough to store easily in the corner of your workshop when not in use.
The SHOP FOX 1.5HP Dust Collector delivers plenty of power while still remaining compact to store away when not in use. Connect it to multiple dust-producing tools to improve your workshop’s air quality.
Plenty of people have reviewed its performance (of which a summary of the positives and drawbacks can be found below) – here’s why we like it:
SHOP FOX W1685 Pros
- Affordable price and free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has been reviewed by over 150 customers
- Ranks highly for both dust collectors and general air cleaners
- Has a horsepower of 1.5
- Its motor operates at 3,450 revolutions per minute to ensure top performance
- Has air suction capacity of about 1,280 CFM
- Long-lasting, as displayed by reviewers who have used it for a year or more
- Has a steel, heavy-duty motor
- Ineligible for international shipping outside the United States
- Has a warranty of 24 months limited parts, which could potentially fail to serve you (though the details are available next to the product itself)
- Was said by several reviewers that the packaging and shipping was executed poorly
This device is popular on Amazon and is one of the most cost-efficient options. It ships free within the United States and has generally more positives than it does negatives.
- Motor: 1-1/2" HP, 110V, single phase, 3450 RPM, 16A
- Portable base size: 21-1/2" x 33-1/2"
- Bag capacity: 5.4 cubic feet
- Height (with bags inflated): 78"
- Powder coated finish
2. Jet DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP Dust Collector
The JET DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP Dust Collector features a permanently lubricated, totally enclosed, fan-cooled motor of 1.5 horsepower that is rated for continuous duty. Also, an exclusive Vortex Cone that improves chip separation to prevent clogging of the filter and increases packing efficiency of the collector bag. This eliminates premature filter clogging for sustained performance.
The high air velocity (CFM) stands up to any competitive specifications, and the industrial controls are designed for years of durable use. With quick-connection collection bags that have a snap ring for easy and fast installation and removal and casters for maneuverability within the workshop, this model provides convenience and versatility.
Its single-stage design delivers economical and quiet operation, with industrial controls designed for years of trouble-free use. Includes four casters for maneuverability and total portability.
The Jet DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP Dust Collector is a powerful and efficient dust collector that is perfect for small to medium workshops.
This dust collecting bag can handle up to 1,200 cubic feet of air per minute, making it ideal for collecting wood chips, shavings, and other debris.
It also features a built-in cyclone that separates the dust from the air, ensuring that your workshop remains clean and free of debris as it collect dust.
The Jet DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP also comes with several convenient features, including a remote control that allows you to start and stop the collector from anywhere in your workshop.
The built-in carry handle that makes it easy to transport the collector from one job site to another.
If you’re looking for efficient and reliable wall mounted dust collector that can handle even the toughest jobs, the Jet DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP Dust Collector is the perfect choice.
Jet DC-1100VX-5M Pros
- Single-stage design for economical and quiet operation
- Vortex Cone improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency
- Industrial controls designed for years of trouble-free use
- Eliminates premature filter clogging for sustained performance
- Quick-connect collection bags with an elastic band for fast, easy installation and removal
- High air velocity (CFM) design stands up to any competitive specifications
- Permanently lubricated, totally enclosed, fan-cooled motors are rated for continuous-duty
- Includes four casters for maneuverability and total portability.
- 5-year warranty
- 1.5 Hp
- Comes with a 5-micron bag filter kit
- Designed to operate quietly
- Generally easy assembly
- Requires fewer bag changes than most
- The pricing is between average and somewhat expensive and doesn’t include free shipping
- Some reviewers have referred to it being slightly less powerful than anticipated, and that it would be wiser to invest in something sturdier
- Rated for Continuous Duty: Permanently lubricated, totally enclosed, fan-cooled motors.
- Fast Installation and Removal: Quick-connect collection bags with elastic band.
- Quiet Operation: Single-stage design produces just 70-80 dB of noise.
- Vortex Cone Technology: Improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency.
- Total Portability: Includes four casters for easy maneuverability.
3. POWERTEC DC1512 Dust Collector
The POWERTEC DC1512 dust collector is one of the best dust collectors and handy tool that can help you keep your work area clean. This dust collector has a 1.5 HP motor that can provide plenty of suction power to keep your work surface clear of dust and debris. It also comes with a 12-inch dust collection hose that can easily reach across your workbench.
This 1.5 horsepower dust collector from POWERTEC serves as a versatile and powerful dust collecting workhorse at an amazing price. Whether you’re in need of a stationary, centralized or portable option for your workshop, the DC1512 works seamlessly with an assortment of woodworking machines.
The DC1512 features a quick-connect design that makes it easy to attach and detach the hose. The 15-gallon drum can hold a fair amount of dust and debris, but emptying the unit is simple thanks to the convenient bottom door that swings open for easy access.
It is designed to offer functional versatility eliminating unnecessary spacing consuming dust collecting accessories, while maximizing your workspace and keeping it free of dust and debris.
It’s air filtration system uses a single cartridge that can be quickly removed and replaced when it fills up. The unit has an eight-amp motor, so it’s powerful enough to accommodate all types of heavy-duty tools such as table saws and sanders without stalling or bogging down.
The unit’ s upper filter bag effectively cleans, purifies and filters the workshop air, capturing even the smallest fine dust, allergens, pollutants and particulate matter down to 2.5 microns in size.
The clear, fresh air is returned from the filter back into the room, and the extracted dust/chips efficiently cascade downward into the collection bag.
The DC1512 also features a quick-connect design that makes it easy to attach and detach the hose. The 15-gallon drum can hold a fair amount of dust and debris, but emptying the unit is simple thanks to the convenient bottom door that swings open for easy access.
POWERTEC DC1512 Pros
- 1.5 horsepower, single phase motor that performs at 3,450 RPM
- Can handle projects of all sizes, at home or on a job site
- Compact size for a small storage footprint
- Portable base size of 21-1/2 x 33-1/2 inches and caster wheels, working as both a mobile or stationary compact dust collector
- 4″ dual inlet connector included for attachment to the main frame housing’s 6″ opening
- Comes with two types of collection bags
- Upper filter bag effectively traps up to 99% of fine dust particles
- Lower plastic bag captures large dust particles, wood chips and debris.
- The unit is less compact and heavier than advertised
- Some reviewers have expressed disappointment with build and inspection quality issues
- The heat seal at the bottom seem of the bags was poorly made and was missing in several places
- 20″ bags measure 21″ which make it impossible to get an air tight seal
With a powerful motor and good build quality, the POWERTEC DC1512 dust collector has the potential to give plent of bang for the buck at it’s attractive price. However, it’s let down by the bag being a little bit too large and affecting performance.
- Includes: 1. 5 HP dust collector
- Air suction capacity: 1, 250 CFM
- Power: 1. 5 horsepower, 120V/ 240V, 60Hz, single-phase motor
- Superior bag filtration: the unit's upper filter bag cleans, purifies and filters the air, capturing even the smallest fine dust down to 2. 5 microns in size
- Versatile size: features a portable base size of 21-1/2 x 33-1/2 inches and caster wheels, working as both a mobile or stationary compact dust collector unit that maximizes shop space
4. SHOP FOX W1727 1 HP Dust Collector
This second SHOP FOX model weighs just 55 pounds, with dimensions of 16.5 x 28.1 x 19.6 inches. This particular tool was designed with portability in mind, so the user is able to move it as they please – great for workers who use several different workspaces or just want the freedom to move it around when working.
The SHOP FOX W1727 1 HP Dust Collector is perfect for woodworking enthusiasts who want to keep their workshop clean and organized. This dust collector has a powerful 1 HP motor that can easily suck up sawdust and other debris, keeping your work area neat and tidy.
The safety switch and removable key make this device a wise choice for those who share workspaces with others or want to optimize safety. SHOP FOX promises that the collection bag on this model is easy to remove and empty into a trash can, ready for use again swiftly.
The SHOP FOX W1727 also features a large filter area, which can hold up to 11 gallons of sawdust. This way, you need not empty the dust collector often and you can work for a long period of time without worrying about ventilation.
The 2 large wheels on the SHOP FOX W1727 make it easy for you to move it from one place to another.
This dust collector has a 1 HP motor that can provide plenty of power to get the job done. It also has a large dust bin capacity of 4.5 gallons, so you can spend more time woodworking and less time cleaning up.
It has a dust collection system that is easy to empty, and you can remove the motor housing for cleaning.
The dust collection bag has an 11-gallon capacity, so you don’t have to empty it often. The two casters on the bottom allow you to move this machine easily from one place to another.
SHOP FOX W1727 Pros
- This is the most affordable of the bunch, and includes free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has a rating of 4.2/5 from 108 customers
- Ranks #6 in dust collectors and general air cleaners on Amazon
- Has air suction capacity of 800 CFM
- Bag filtration of 2.5 microns
- Said by reviewers to have easy assembly
- Very mobile
- Quiet when operating
- Typically thought of as a “manageable” size
- Does not list information on a possible warranty
- Was considered by some customers to somewhat lack power
This small woodshop dust collection device has some of the best feedback compared to its competitors, and is one of the cheapest options as well. It is not as sturdy as many of its competitors, but this means it’s not so heavy and is more portable. This machine offers easy function and usability for a wide range of customers.
- Motor: 1HP, 110V/220V, single phase, prewired 110V
- Motor amp draw: 9A/4.5A
- Air suction capacity: 800 CFM
- Static pressure: 5.67"
- Number of 4" intake holes: 1
5. Delta Power Equipment Corporation 50-767T2 Dust Collector
The Delta Power Equipment Corporation 50-767T2 Dust Collector is a top-quality machine that can handle large volumes of dust and debris. It has a powerful motor that can quickly clear the air, and it comes with a variety of filters to suit your needs.
It’s also easy to operate, making it perfect for any business or home workshop. Plus, the unit automatically shuts down when it is blocked to keep your machinery running smoothly.
The Delta Power Equipment 50-767 Dust Collector includes the motor and blower, 50-766 canister, support frame, a 1-micron bag with sewn-in bag ring, a 6-mil plastic chip collection bag, a snap-in filter bag ring, two 4″ intake ports, two swivel caster assemblies, and two large 8″ wheels.
Working speeds can reach up to 4,200 RPM and an airflow rate of 528 CFM at zero static pressure. The unit also comes with a variety of filters to suit your needs including: an air filter, a bag collection filter, a cartridge filter, and a high-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filter.
The Delta Power Equipment Corporation 50-767T2 Dust Collector also has a number of safety features that make it ideal for any workshop. These include an automatic shutoff system that detects when the machine is blocked, as well as a thermal overload protection system that prevents the machine from overheating.
The powerful 110V 1440-Watts TEFC induction motor of 1.5 horsepower, provides long-lasting, smooth performance with protection from damaging dust. The standard 1-micron filtration bag keeps your shop safer and cleaner.
The Delta Power Equipment Corporation 50-767T2 Dust Collector comes with 3/4 inch, 1 1/4 inch and 2 inch dust port adapters for easy installation. The unit weighs only 125 pounds and has a convenient carrying handle that makes it easy to move around your workspace.
It features decent noise levels, making it one of the quietest dust collectors on the market. Plus, it comes with a 2-year warranty from Delta Power Equipment Corporation.
While the sewn-in, snap-in filter bag ring design means that it’s faster, easier, and eliminates the need for cam-over-lock style clamps. Your purchase is backed by the Delta 5-year warranty.
When shopping for a portable dust collector, the Delta Power Equipment Corporation 50-767T2 Dust Collector is a top choice. It has a powerful motor that can quickly clear the air, and it comes with a variety of filters to suit your needs.
Delta Power Equipment 50-767 Dust Collector Pros
- 5-star Amazon rating from 21 reviews
- 110V 1440-Watts 1.5 Hp TEFC induction motor
- Chip Back Area: 1.7 cu ft (48L)
- Comes with a 1-micron bag filter kit
- Has airbags that can be easily installed and removed
- Eliminates filter clogging
- With casters for maneuverability and total portability.
- 5-year warranty
- Easy operation and assembly
- A previous user found a manufacturing defect and quality control issue with the rear stand cross support
- Great product, but the customer care needs improvement
- Standard 1 micron filtration bag keeps your shop safer and cleaner
- Sewn in, snap-in filter bag ring is faster, easier and eliminates the need for cam-over-lock style Clamps
- Fit with Delta canister 50-766
- Delta 5-year warranty
- Powerful TEFC induction motor for long-lasting, smooth performance with protection from damaging dus
6. The Deluxe Dust Deputy
If you’re looking for a new dust collector, the Oneida Molded Deluxe Dust Deputy Kit with Two Collapse is the perfect way to keep your shop clean and dust-free.
The kit comes with a dust deputy, which is a cyclone separator that separates the wood chips and shavings from the air, and two collapses, which are filters that capture the larger pieces of debris.
This dust collection system is easy to use and install and is perfect for any workshop. Keep your workshop clean and organized with the Oneida Molded Deluxe Dust Deputy Kit with Two Collapse. Order yours today!
Oneida’s Dust Deputy Cyclone Separator captures 99% of the dust created when routing, sanding or drilling. The patented design features a large funnel that catches the dust and shavings before they can enter the air stream.
Its tapered ports make it suitable with a variety of vacuum hose widths, and it can handle a variety of materials besides sawdust, including water, metal shavings, pet hair, and ash and soot.
Furthermore, by trapping these things before they reach your vacuum, you’ll extend its life and save time and effort cleaning the dust filter.
The cyclone separator is easy to install and attaches directly to your shop vacuum or dust collector. Keep your workshop clean and organized with Oneida’s Dust Deputy Cyclone Separator. Order yours today!
The dust deputy is a cyclone separator that captures the wood chips and shavings from the air, while the collapses are filters that capture the larger pieces of debris. This cyclone dust collector is also easy to install and is perfect for any workshop.
You’ll need your own suction system, such as a shop vac, for this choice, but if you already have one, this inexpensive option could be a good fit for the casual carpenter.
The Deluxe Dust Deputy Pros
- Keeps your workshop clean and dust-free
- Comes with a dust deputy, two collapses, and is easy to install
- Perfect for any workshop
- Easy to use
- You need a shop vac to use it
- The original and still the best! Patented cyclone design removes over 99% of fine dusts and bulk debris from the airstream. Stops dust from reaching your vacuum's filter/bag, eliminating filter clogging and suction loss.
- Compatible with any make/model shop vacuum; Tapered ports fit standard 1.5" to 2.5" hose fittings. Portable design can be mounted directly to the vacuum. Works with most materials: wood dust, drywall dust, concrete dust, clay/silica dust, blasting soda, cooled ash & soot, water, metal shavings, baking flour, grass & leaves, pet/animal hair, pharmaceutical waste, and much more!
- Neutral-vane technology improves separation efficiency by 20%. Patented bucket lid design maximizes the cyclone’s separation efficiency, and see-through feature lets you see how full the bucket is.
- Collapse-proof buckets won't fold under high vacuum pressures. Reinforced, quick-release, cyclone lid allows for quick and easy emptying. Wire-reinforced, polyurethane hose provides superior flexibility and anti-static components significantly reduce the likelihood of static shocks.
- Made in the USA. US Pat. #6833016, #7282074, #RE40048, #D933321 and patent pending
7. Milescraft 1501 Dust Router
The Milescraft 1501 Dust Router is a complete dust collection system for router tables. The system attaches to the underside of the router table and collects dust and debris as it is created.
The system includes a 2-1/2 inch port that can be attached to a vacuum hose, so the collected debris can be easily removed. The system also includes a flexible hose to help keep the work area clean.
The Milescraft 1501 Dust Router is easy to use and helps keep the work area clean, making it a great choice for any router table.
The Milescraft 1501 Dust Router is a great choice for any router table. The system collects dust and debris as it is created, making it easy to keep the work area clean.
The system includes a 2-1/2 inch port that can be attached to a vacuum hose, so the collected debris can be easily removed. The system also includes a flexible hose to help keep the work area clean.
The Milescraft 1501 Dust Router is easy to use and helps keep the work area clean, making it a great choice for any router table. For more information on the Milescraft 1501 Dust Router, visit milescraft.com today.
Milescraft offers several different dust collection systems for router tables, each with its own advantages. The Milescraft 1501 Dust Router is a complete dust collection system that attaches to the underside of the router table and collects dust and debris as it is created.
Milescraft 1501 Dust Router Pros
- Complete dust collection system
- The system includes a 2-1/2 inch port that can be attached to a vacuum hose, so the collected debris can be easily removed.
- The flexible hose makes it easy to keep the work area clean.
- Collects dust and debris as it is created
- 2-1/2 inch port can be attached to vacuum hose
- Flexible hose helps keep work area clean
- Separate vacuum source is required
- Use with or without the router table fence
- Connect hoses from the dust port and dust cup with the vacuum source
- Easy to attach to most router tables for permanent or temporary use
- Standard hose size 1-1/2″ (38mm) diameter, attaches to workshop vacuums and dust collectors
- Flexible silicone dust cup with hook and loop attachment fits most routers and lifts
What should be considered when choosing the best dust collector?
Dust collectors can be very expensive pieces of equipment, and this is why it’s important to know what you should consider before buying one.
There are a number of variables to take into account when considering dust collectors. Read more about them below.
1. What you want to achieve
When thinking about buying a dust collector, the first thing that needs to be considered is what you need it for. Are you looking to collect sawdust, turn raw wood chips into compost, or do something else entirely?
2. What size your operation will require
The next step in buying a dust collector is to consider how much air volume you’ll need to actually pull out of your machinery and process.
For example, if you’re planning on composting wood chips from different sources (for instance boards offcuts), this means that instead of just one pile of waste material there are multiple piles that contain individually different amounts of moisture.
As such, each area would need to be processed, which might mean using more air for one area, more airflow for another, and less airflow for a third.
3. What type of dust you are looking to collect
There are three main types of dust collectors available today: the cartridge type, bag/canister type, and wet scrubber type. Each dust collector has its own strengths and weaknesses which should be considered before making a choice on what to buy.
For example, cartridge-style collectors are fine with collecting large particles but cannot capture small particles that might damage machinery or harm production processes.
Bag-type dust collection systems have better filtration efficiency but have higher pressure drop across the filter bags due to poor airflow distribution inside the bags. Wet scrubbers dust collectors can handle very fine particles well but require water which means added cost and complexity.
Besides that, we also have portable and fixed dust collectors. If you need something that you will be carrying around often, consider getting portable dust collectors.
4. Your budget
It’s also important to consider your budget when buying a dust collector. As mentioned earlier, these machines can be very expensive so it’s important to set a realistic budget and find the right machine that fits your needs.
Dust collectors need to be installed in a safe manner. If possible, install a full containment system that covers the entire operation and all associated equipment to capture the majority of dust before it enters the environment.
This means covering walls and roofing with a plastic material strong enough to withstand tearing while allowing for landfill gas migration. In other words, it needs to be an airtight enclosure so there is no leakage or opportunities for leaks through cracks or holes.
6. Air Flow
Typically, dust collection systems require 100 cubic feet per minute (CFM) at 28 inches pressure drop [using ductwork] from each machine being processed by the dust collector. The total CFMs required are then added upper floor used in multi-floor plants.
7. Electric Motors
Dust collectors can be either single or three-phase electric motors. Most industrial cyclone dust collectors use three-phase electric motors. Be sure to size the correct motor and voltage for your dust collector.
The ducting going to and from the dust collector must be properly sized to avoid excessive resistance (pressure drop). This will minimize the load on the fan and motor and ensure that the system operates at peak efficiency.
In some cases, it may be necessary to add supplemental humidity to the air coming out of the dust collector in order to prevent wood parts from drying out and becoming brittle when collecting dust.
All dust collectors require regular maintenance in order to keep them running at peak efficiency. Be sure to have a maintenance schedule in place and include regular cleaning of the filters, an inspection of all ductwork and connections, a dust collection bag, and lubrication of moving parts.
Below are some frequently asked questions about the best dust collectors.
How powerful is a dust collector?
Dust collectors vary in their power, with some models capable of capturing particles as small as 0.5 microns in size. For comparison, human hair is about 75 microns wide. So a dust collector can easily capture 99% of the particles in the air, making it an essential tool for any workshop or industrial setting.
Such power is made possible by a combination of factors. One, the unit’s cyclone helps separate dust from the air. Two, it uses high-speed centrifugal force to throw dust particles into its filters. And three, if that isn’t enough, there’s also powerful suction and blower force.
What size CFM dust collector do I need?
For good fine dust collection, most small shop stationary equipment requires roughly 1000 cubic feet per minute (CFM) of airflow, but only 350 CFM is required for good “chip collection.
What makes a good dust collector?
There are a number of factors to consider. The biggest ones are size, whether it is a raw material or recycled air, and what you want from the dust collector. For a small workshop, a portable dust collector is a good option.
It will suck up the sawdust and wood chips as you work. For a larger workshop or one that deals with heavier dust particles, a central dust collector is a better option. This type of dust collector needs to be attached to your tools.
What is the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a dust extractor?
A lot of people use these two terms interchangeably, which is incorrect. A vacuum cleaner is a device that uses an air pump to create suction and push dust through a tube by creating a partial vacuum.
A dust extractor is a vacuum cleaner that has been fitted with a dust collection bag, cyclone, or another device to separate dust from the air. A dust extractor is more effective at capturing dust than a vacuum cleaner because it has a device specifically designed to capture dust.
There is a lot to take in when it comes to your options for a durable and reliable device that serves the purpose of keeping your space clean and protecting your health.
Due to these machines’ functions, they’re truly an investment, but one that is necessary. Price, efficiency, accessibility, voltage use, and more are all aspects to consider when figuring out the right dust collector for you.
Here is a good YouTube video giving more information about woodshop dust collection:
Between the choices listed, we’ve tried to make it clear which will best fit your needs mainly depending on price, power and portability. However, health and safety should always the top priority, and all of these appliances will help to keep you safe in the workshop.
- electric demolition hammer
- deck sander
- thickness planer
- belt grinder for knife making
- drill press for woodworking