When it comes to woodworking, dust collectors are some of the most vital pieces of equipment to have in your space, for the sake of both convenience and safety. Not only is the woodworking a messy job, but the possibility of getting sawdust in your eye or throat can make it dangerous as well.
Every woodshop varies, and therefore the kind of equipment it needs varies as well. For instance, if your particular woodshop is short on space, it would be smart to check the dimensions of your options. If you are short on outlets or power sources, consider purchasing a tool with a power source that is not an electric cord. The price of these tools compared to the money you have to hand tends to be the most common obstacle.
Because of these tricky details, if you need work shop dust collection, deciding on the strongest contender can be challenging. That’s why we have deconstructed the options available into clear, understandable points, helping you choose the best machine for your specific needs.
Dust Collector Comparison Table
We look at the top models in greater detail below, but for those in a hurry, here is a quick comparison of the wood shop dust collectors in our roundup:
We’ve compared the top shop dust collection systems on Amazon, particularly focusing on the ones offered at the best prices. Read on for our top 5 reviews:
This SHOP FOX tool was released in February of 2009.
It weighs in at 108 pounds and has dimensions of 22.2 x 37 x 22.5 inches.
Its Amazon reviews show it has been purchased 150+ times, and can be bought in just a few clicks from the website.
Plenty of people have reviewed its performance (of which a summary of the positives and drawbacks can be found below) – here’s why we like it:
SHOP FOX W1685 Pros
- Affordable price and free Amazon Prime shipping
- Has been reviewed by over 150 customers
- Ranks highly for both dust collectors and general air cleaners
- Has a horsepower of 1.5
- Its motor operates at 3,450 revolutions per minute to ensure top performance
- Has air suction capacity of about 1,280 CFM
- Long lasting, as displayed by reviewers who have used it for a year or more
- Has a steel, heavy-duty motor
- Ineligible for international shipping outside the United States
- Has a warranty of 24 months limited parts, which could potentially fail to serve you (though the details are available next to the product itself)
- Was said by several reviewers that the packaging and shipping was executed poorly
This device is popular on Amazon and is one of the most cost-efficient options. It ships free within the United States and has generally more positives than it does negatives.
- Powder coated paint
- Bag volume: 5.4 cubic feet
- Static pressure: 10.1-Inch. Interior Hose Diameter (In.) - 6
- Air suction capacity: Approximately 1,280 CFM
- Standard bag filtration: 2.5 Microns
Released in March of 2011, this particular tool weighs a mere 8.4 pounds and has dimensions of 37 x 22.5 x 79 inches. Its weight and size have made it ideal for any seeking assistance within a small woodshop or for small projects, as it is significantly more compact in size than many of its competitors.
The design is easy to function, has great adaptability, and is convenient for the user, as its straightforward operations and lightweight frame mean it can be used by most people. It has made the rounds among many other woodworkers, as displayed by its feedback and reviews.
Jet DC-1100VX-5M Pros
- Has a decent rating of 3.7/5 from 18 customers
- Ranks #38 in dust collectors and general air cleaners
- Has a 5-year warranty
- Has a horsepower of 1.50
- Comes with a 5-micron bag filter kit
- Designed to operate quietly
- Has air bags that can be easily installed and removed
- Generally easy assembly
- Eliminates filter clogging
- Operates as a vortex, meaning it can more efficiently separate sawdust
- Requires fewer bag changes than most
- The pricing is between average and somewhat expensive, and doesn’t include free shipping
- Some reviewers have referred to it being slightly less powerful than anticipated, and that it would be wiser to invest in something sturdier
While not clearly the “best” or “worst” option as far as any of its features go, this piece of equipment is an above average and reliable one. It has its fair share of positive traits and satisfies far more customers than it disappoints. It is very good for what it is, but is ideal for circumstances that call for a compact size due to its weight and dimensions.