While looking for tools, you might have stumbled across Chicago Electric Power Tools. In case you haven’t heard this name before, the brand ‘Chicago Electric Power Tools’ is owned by the massive, renowned manufacturer Harbor Freight Tools. In fact, the same company also owns other brands like Bauer, Earthquake, and Drill Master.
What sets apart the Chicago Electric Power Tools is their great quality at a very low price. The products are all produced in China. In fact, all the tools go through extensive testing and quality control making this a brand you can rely on. The main benefit of these tools is how budget-friendly they are. Plus, the brand offers a wide range of tools that are targeted at amateurs as well as professional users.
The range includes rotary tools, saws, sanders, routers, angle grinders, polishers, drills, and more. Basically, you will be able to find any tool you want, to help you with construction as well as woodwork. In addition, they also offer accessories to further assist users in their projects.
Let’s take a look at the most used products by Chicago Electric Power Tools and discuss their pros, cons, and our final thoughts on the brand’s tools as well as our top pick.
Our Chicago Electric Power Tool Reviews and Comparisons
1. Chicago Electric Power Tools Rotary Rock Tumbler, 3 lb
This useful tool called a rotary rock tumbler helps you smooth out rocks and stones precisely and easily. You can put the stones inside the tumbler which is designed for continual usage and for rocks of all sizes.
It operates at a low speed to ensure smoothness and precision while avoiding damage. The tool is built from plastic to keep the weight low. The product also comes with instructions to guide the user on the entire operating procedure.
- It is equipped with a 120 V, 60 Hz motors combined with slow speed for precision and minimum damage to the rock
- Tumbler has a 4.5-inch diameter to accommodate all rock sizes
- Its 3-pound capacity lets you use it for rocks of all sizes
- It also features a rubber barrel to ensure smoothness and noise-free operation.
What We Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools Rotary Rock Tumbler, 3 lb
The Rotary Rock Tumbler by Chicago Electric Power Tools is a great product overall and it gets the job done efficiently. It really gives a smooth and polished finish to glasses, rocks, stones, and even metals.
One main positive point is that it does not heat up during usage. Low heat also means that there is minimum internal damage to the product. Plus, it is very quiet and noise-free. Overall, the build is solid, and for the price, we think it’s a good tool.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools Rotary Rock Tumbler, 3 lb
One major con is that the belts provided are not of the best quality and might need frequent replacements. It works great for polishing as long as you are not doing extremely hardcore or heavy work. The tumbler also gives off a strong rubber smell while you work.
- It has a quiet operation
- It generally does not heat up
- The machine works well overall
- It is a value for money product
- Frequent complaints regarding belts
- The tumbler gives off a strong, rubber odor
- It’s not suitable for heavy polishing tasks
2. Chicago Electric Reciprocating Saw with Rotating Handle
A reciprocating saw is useful for a number of household maintenance chores and repairing tasks. This tool is primarily used for cutting wood. In fact, it’s a multi-purpose demolition tool for windows, doors, walls, plumbing, and many other materials.
The saw also features a twist-lock blade chuck allowing easy blade changes (blades are not included). In addition, it has a switch-lock on the trigger for safety.
- The handle rotates completely at 180 degrees and can stop at five positions: 0, 45° and 90° left, and 45° and 90° right.
- It has a powerful motor of 6 amps and a 30-degree shoe-plate pivot
- It has rubber grips to provide comfortable usage while absorbing vibrations
- It also has a speed trigger, ranging from 0 to 2500 strokes per minute for precise cutting
What We Like About Chicago Electric Reciprocating Saw with Rotating Handle
This reciprocating saw is easily one of the best-priced options in the market. It is user-friendly and packed with features to enable a comfortable and effective working experience.
The main feature we love about this saw is its rotating body. You can create horizontal, vertical as well as diagonal cuts while maintaining a strong grip on the tool. Plus, the trigger is also very easy to use and pull. All the assembly parts and the internal mechanism are accessible. It even comes with 2 replacement motor brushes.
Overall, the reciprocating saw cuts neatly and thoroughly and it ticks most boxes that make it a great product for the price.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric Reciprocating Saw with Rotating Handle
The one main drawback you will notice instantly is that the product is not going to be long-lasting or very durable. It is a great saw for starters using it for occasional tasks but is certainly not built for professional or heavy cutting. Some buttons do feel a bit cheap and do not have top-notch quality. However, most of the components of the saw work fine- the only issue is they probably won’t be able to last under prolonged use and environmental damage.
- It can achieve precision cuts
- The rotating body is ergonomic and comfortable to use
- It’s a user-friendly product with easy assembly
- Amazing tool for the price
- Pivoting shoe is a little stiff and tough to use
- It is power-hungry even at low speed
- It does not come with blades or a battery for the unit
3. Chicago Electric 12-Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide
This compound miter saw with laser guide is a tool designed for creating accurate and smooth cuts in larger workpieces that are up to 12 inches wide. You can easily create cross, bevel, or miter cuts using this tool. And it comes with a machined aluminum fence, dust bag, table clamp, extension bars, and cord storage hooks.
- Powered by a 15 amp motor for thicker materials
- Triggered laser guide system for precise and straight cuts
- The 45-degree bevel can be adjusted towards the left or right
- Also has miter stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 30, and 45 degrees
What We Like About Chicago Electric 12-Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide
This compound miter saw has all the features one would expect, at a fraction of the price. It has a smooth and efficient performance. One plus point is that it comes with so many useful accessories too. The speed can go up to 3,800 RPM and the varying levels of speed make it excellent for cutting through both softer and thicker materials.
In addition, it also has dual linear slide rails for added stability and smoothness.
It comes with a dust bag to collect the dust as you work. Plus, it has a storage hook that makes it possible to mount your saw.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric 12-Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide
One specific problem with this saw is the quality of the blade guard. It is completely made of plastic and does not live up to the brand’s claim of ‘heavy-duty blade guard’. The laser works but there are some cases where it eventually started failing. The overall build quality of the machine as well as the laser could be much better.
- It has the same features as the higher-end tools
- It creates smooth cuts and is a powerful machine
- Generous cord length
- It comes with many accessories
- The laser is not very reliable
- Some components need a lot of adjustment to work perfectly
- The build quality is not top-notch
4. Chicago Electric Power Tools Electronic Polisher/Sander with Digital RPM Display
Chicago Electrics’ Electronic Polisher/Sander is a handy tool for clear coat finishes. It has a wide range of applications and gives you all the power and control you need. You can use it on cars, aluminum, chrome, windows, and more.
- Powered by a strong 10 amp, soft-starting motor
- It has a variable speed switch
- Speed range of 1000 to 3500 RPM
- Also has an LCD display
What We Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools Electronic Polisher/Sander with Digital RPM Display
This product is effective for polishing or buffing a range of surfaces and neatly does its job. The buffer has adequate strength and power. Generally, it barely gets hot or slows down no matter what speed you use. Also, the speed adjustment setting works like a charm. The digital display is a great additional feature that also deserves a mention.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools Electronic Polisher/Sander with Digital RPM Display
One minor con is that it is not a very lightweight product. Some users have reported that it starts getting hot under heavy usage. Build quality could also be better.
- It is very affordable
- It has high buffing strength
- The speed adjustment works well
- The LCD display is a great feature
- Build quality is not good enough
- Not a very durable unit
5. Chicago Electric Power Tools Electric Impact Wrench Reversible with 230 ft. lbs of Torque
A powerful electric wrench is one of the must-haves in every mechanic’s toolbox. This rugged wrench can be used to loosen or tighten lug nuts, bolts, or rusted or frozen fasteners. It also has a high torque without a compressor. Larger tires can also be removed with ease.
- It is packed with a 7-amp motor that exerts 240lbs of maximum torque
- The maximum speed of 2100 RPM and an impact rate of 25-30 BPM
- Also has a rocker switch that lets you toggle forward or backward with one hand
- It has a cast aluminum nose and lightweight build
What We Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools Electric Impact Wrench Reversible with 230 ft. lbs of Torque
Due to the incredibly high torque power, this electric impact wrench can handle even heavy objects and the hardest drills. It is a very strong and well-made tool that is not going to fail you in most circumstances. In fact, we think it is a great choice for home mechanics.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools Electric Impact Wrench Reversible with 230 ft. lbs of Torque
One downside of this electric impact wrench is that it is quite bulky. Furthermore, it has been noted that it makes a loud high-pitched noise sometimes. Apart from this, the product does not have many weaknesses.
- The wrench has extremely high-torque power
- It is a well-built product
- Compared to other options, the price is high
- It can feel bulky
6. Chicago Electric Power Tools 5 Amp Heavy Duty Tool-Free Variable Speed Orbital Jig Saw
This is a heavy-duty jigsaw cutter equipped with three-stage orbital action with 3/4-inch strokes that let you make smooth cuts. It has variable speed settings for better control and lets you do work comfortably with less kickback.
- It has adjustable speed settings
- Its handle has a soft grip for added comfort and control
- It has four-position orbital settings
- The footplate can adjust from left to right at an angle of 0-45°
What We Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools 5 Amp Heavy Duty Tool-Free Variable Speed Orbital Jig Saw
This jigsaw tool has a strong motor and makes very smooth and deep cuts. What sets it apart from competitors is the ease in changing blades and their quick-release system. Another benefit of this tool is its adequate cord length. Plus, it is easy to use and is very inexpensive for the quality you get and the work you can accomplish. Overall, it is perfect for light work.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools 5 Amp Heavy Duty Tool-Free Variable Speed Orbital Jig Saw
One con is that the product is not very powerful for large projects. Some users might find it underpowered while others will find it to be enough for their use. It can also be a little uneasy to install larger blades. One other issue is that sometimes the variable speed setting is not very smooth when you turn the speed to low. Again, those looking to do extremely accurate and controlled cutting work may want to find better alternatives.
- Perfect for hobbyists and light users
- Worth the price
- It is easy to change the blades
- It has many adjustable features
- Not the best option for extremely accurate or heavy work
- Might feel underpowered to some users
7. Chicago Electric Power Tools 9.6-Volt Cordless Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
This is a cordless rotary tool with a multi-purpose tool kit that has more than 70 accessories to help you with a range of tasks. This kit comes with a flex shaft that allows for precise, detailed work. Plus, it has adjustable speed settings that allow work to be done on a range of different materials. In addition, a mounted LED light feature means it’s possible to operate the tool in the dark too.
- Adjustable speed control
- Also has a flex shaft for precision
- Mountable LED light
- 70+ accessories included in the kit
What We Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools 9.6-Volt Cordless Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
We think the cordless makes the rotary tool very easy to handle and maneuver which is a huge plus point of the product. It is extremely well-made and user-friendly and the case with all its accessories is handy and easily accessible. Also, it charges pretty fast – an added bonus.
What We Don’t Like About Chicago Electric Power Tools 9.6-Volt Cordless Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
The battery life is one department where this product is definitely lacking because it does not last for long. It also does not come with an extra replacement battery.
- It’s a very versatile product
- It comes at an economical price
- It charges quickly
- The battery drains fast
- It does not come with a replacement battery
Chicago Electric Power tools have a decent range of products and we found most of the tools to be reliable. Our final thoughts are that the brand mainly focuses on home-owners, and amateurs as well as hobbyists. But this does not mean that you should expect their products to be underpowered or lacking important features.
Our top pick is the Chicago Electric Power Tools Electric Impact Wrench. This is such a powerful tool with over 230 ft. lbs of torque. And it is one of the sturdiest and most well-built machines by the brand. It also practically delivers a high performance- rather than just being a strong product on paper.
The best part about Chicago Electric Power tools is how they can fit anyone’s budget. You can actually save a lot of money while getting your hands on reliable and good quality tools.