The Top 5 Wood Routers Reviewed
Do you need a wood router? This is a powerful tool which you can use to hollow out or route an area in the wood. These items are typically handheld making them easier to move around. However, they can be fastened as well with the cutting end on a router table. Usually, these systems will have a base housing as well as an electric motor. You can typically make changes to the height to ensure that it’s providing the solution you need. There are two different main types of router.
A plunge-base router has the cutting section raised above the work. Once the motor is turned on, the cutter is then moved into position. With a fixed-base router, the cut depth is set before you turn on the system. There are a variety of wood routers available on the market right now. We’ve narrowed down some of the best options that could fit your needs.
Best Wood Router
With this router, you do get a powerful system that provides up to 4 peak horsepower as well as a fast tool. Indeed, with over 27,500 revolutions per minute, this is lightning speed and this means that you’ll be able to make easy work of any wood that you are hollowing out. You can also use this with a router speed device. This ensures that you will have an easier time with what will essentially be a fully automated process. This product makes it simple to adjust the height too. As such, you won’t have to worry about fiddling around with the setting settings for an age.
You might be worried about the opening on the plate being too small but this isn’t an issue with this particular router. As long as you set it up to the right way, you’ll find that the collet won’t hit the plate. You just need to leave the bit about a ¼ inch away from the bottom. Ultimately, this is designed for medium use or small bits and if you keep this purpose in mind then it is going to serve you well.
While it does not have the refinements of modern designs, what you basically get with this product is a sturdy build that will continue to operate for years. Although it is quite loud, you are certainly not going to be disappointed with the level of durability that this one provides and it’s reliable too. As such, you won’t have to worry about it breaking down after a couple of uses. It’s quite a budget-friendly choice too and is light enough to easily move around or put in place.
- 11-amp motor producing 1-3/4 peak horsepower
- 27,500 revolutions-per-minute single-speed motor
- Precision machined aluminum motor housing and base
- Cam-lock lever enables simple coarse height adjustments and motor release
- Micrometer depth adjuster accurate to 1/128-inch
With this router, you do get some of the more advanced features that you might expect from a modern system or design. For instance, there is a variable speed option and this means that you don’t have to set it up with a separate variable speed device. There is bright lighting too, ensuring that you will always have full visibility of the area that you are working on. The device is also suitable to be set up on virtually any table. You just need to consider what you’re going to use it for. If you need fine detailed work, you’ll have to purchase the right table to match this router.
This router is also quite quiet at around 78 dB. This does mean that you should still wear ear protectors when you are operating this device. However, it isn’t loud enough that it will be a nuisance. The system will handle the toughest jobs too. While you will notice it gets quite hot on more difficult jobs, you won’t have to worry about it ceasing to function. You just need to make sure that you are checking the tightness on the device regularly.
Another great benefit of using this device is that the adjustments are both precise and solid. The end mill is solid too, so what you get is a highly reliable and sturdy device. Although some parts like the LEDs can be a little less reliable, these are an extra feature and the product works fine without them. The bottom line is that you will not have any issues with this small router.
- Imported from: Mexico
- POWER TOOLS
- Commercial Brand: DEWALT
This is another device that provides a high level of advanced features including a variable speed control option. Ultimately, this does mean that you will be able to have more control over the process. You’re also going to love the overall design of this product. It’s been created to provide comfort and additional levels of support. This really shows and you can easily work for a few hours using this device without any aches or pains. That’s due to the sleek, sturdy design work on display here. It’s versatile too and if you are looking for a product that you will be able to use with wood doors or frames for hinges, this is a great option. You just need to make sure that you have the right hinge.
This is a lightweight router which means that it’s easy to operate and move by hand. As such, it’s perfect for businesses as well as DIY junkies. This system also provides virtually every guide attachment and base that you could need, once again offering a high level of flexibility. It’s well made too which means that you can easily adjust it to provide the exact setting you require.
You’ll find that setting up the device is a breeze too with a latch lock providing additional benefits and more options. It takes very little time to make switches when you’re halfway through different projects. The slim design also means that this is great if you are using it for more complex routing options. For instance, you can use this for highly intricate work such as designing a chessboard.
This device also has a powerful motor ensuring that you can make clean cuts faster than you would think possible with a device like this.
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 to 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
4. Bosch Colt
Are you looking for a heavy-duty router that provides a high level of durability when you’re working on any job? If so, then this could be the right option for you. With this router, you do get a rugged build that is going to serve you well for years. However, despite being big and bulky, it’s suitable for precise work and operations too.
While this router does not come with bits, these are easy to purchase from Bosch and you’re still getting a great product at a great price. You do get the edge kit which is a useful added extra.
Once again, this router does provide a high level of versatility. But it is particularly suited for working on furniture such as cabinet installations or countertops. You can complete edge forming tasks with this too like covers and chamfers. It’s far easier to do this using this router compared to a larger device. It can even be used for installing stringing on furniture. The shaft bits that this router is designed for can be removed and fitted quickly without any time issues at all. As such, it’s an efficient solution that ensures you won’t have to worry about spending hours getting it set up. If you’re using this device to make fine adjustments, you’ll also find that there are clear markings which is a welcome edition.
While this device doesn’t come with any LED lights, the dial which is quick to work and easy to use is more than enough compensation. The micro-adjustment feature is far more accurate than most other brands that you can find on the market too.
- PR20EVS Colt Palm Router features a 1.0 HorsePower 5.6 amp variable speed motor with speeds from 16,000 to 35,000 rpm
- Convenient: Provides a straight edge guide to lead router along edges of work piece or up to 3-5/8 inch from edge; The wood router also features an angled cord exit to keep the cord out of the way when working
- Durable: The rugged aluminum fixed base of the wood router is durable, solid and precise; The PR20EVS features unique finger support pockets for additional stability, especially when trimming edges
- Precision: The fast and precise depth adjustment system allows both macro and micro adjustment while the quick clamp system allows motor to be easily adjusted or moved from base to base
- Versatile: The PR20EVS provides enhanced bit capacity with a fixed base that accepts bits up to 1 5/16 inch in diameter; Versatile bit changing system allows for fast, easy bit changes using two wrenches or spindle lock and one wrench
One of the reasons why we think you’ll love this router is that it does come with all the parts you could want or require. These are stored in a wooden carry case ensuring that these are easy to access and it’s quick find the specific piece you want. This is another router that is built for ergonomic support which we think will be a welcome bonus for most users. This is particularly apparent by the material used for the design. Rubber coverings ensure that the handle is easy to grasp with minimum levels of discomfort.
Overall, you can use this for about one hour of continuous use. After this, you should give the device a break of about fifteen minutes. It’s a great choice if you are routing for the first time too. It provides all the basic levels of support you could want as well as more advanced features that will prove useful once you get to grips with it.
Due to the powerful design, this can also be used with a router table and is mainly suitable for trim work. The largest bit available for this is ½’’ and it does come with all the fittings you could possibly require up to this size.
This device also provides LED lights which is great news if you want to ensure that you can clearly see the routing process. It is a little louder than most, however, that is likely due to the level of power you get with this small machine.
- POWERFUL MOTOR & VARIABLE SPEED: 6.5-Amp motor with max horsepower of 1.25 delivers abundant power for a variety of routing and trimming applications; The variable speed control dial (10000-32000 RPM) allows users to choose a more appropriate speed for different materials.
- PRECISE OPERATION & LED LIGHTS: Smooth rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system ensures precise operation for a range of cabinetry and woodworking applications; Dual bright LED lights illuminates dark working areas.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN & CONVENIENCE: Rubber covered handle for comfortable grip;The quick locking system for convenient depth adjustments and base change.
- DURABLE HOUSING & CLEAN JOBSITE: The aluminum body and base for long term durability; Dust hood removes dust to leave a clean work space.
- PACKAGE INCLUDED: 1.25 HP compact router tool with 12.1Ft/3.7m cord, 5 router bits, edge guide, roller guide, dust hood, 3/8” and 1/4” collet, wrench and carbon brushes, tool bag.
We hope this helps you find the best wood router for your needs. With a variety of options on the market, your main consideration should be what features you want and the type of work you are going to be completing with this device.
Wood Router Basics
Here is a great YouTube video showing the basics of using a wood router for woodworking projects:
Last Updated on