Trees branches can be heavy and bulky, and cleaning up one that falls on your property can be a hassle. The trunk and larger branches can be cut for firewood, but what do you do with all the small branches?
That is where a chipper/shredder really shines. Instead of just hauling away all those branches, or trying to burn them (and ending up with a pile of ash), you can easily transform them into mulch you can use in your garden and landscaping.
In fact, if you have a number of trees on your property you can save on money spent at the gardening center by turning downed branches into homemade mulch. All you need is the right wood chipper/shredder for the job and you are in business.
- Types Of Chipper Shredders
- Wood Chipper Comparison Chart
- The Benefits Of Using A Wood Chipper
- Making Your Own Mulch
Types Of Chipper Shredders
Most of the small wood chippers for consumer use are going to use an electric motor. The size of the engine is going to have an impact on the level of power that the tool has, as well as how well it will perform. Larger chippers are mostly powered by gas, but there are differences between the two.
Electric Wood Chippers
- Cleaner than a gas powered motor
- Different maintenance levels compared to a gas powered option
- More affordable to purchase
- Not as powerful as the gas option, but that’s because it’s designed for smaller chipping jobs.
- Limited mobility due to the need to be plugged into an outlet.
Gas Wood Chippers
- Way more power than the electric models.
- Can handle much larger wood and tree loads.
- Not tied to a power source so are far more mobile as an option.
With all of that in mind, here are five of the top chipper shredder reviews, so that you can make a more informed decision about your purchase.
Wood Chipper Comparison Chart
The Tazz chipper is built to chip branches as big as 3 inches and can shred light brush, leaves and other organic waste. You need your chipper shredder to have an incredible performance, and in this surprisingly compact package, that’s exactly what you’ll get. With a Viper engine that has a 5 year warranty included, you have that peace of mind that if something goes wrong, you’re covered. There are optional features that you can add, such as the vacuum kit that features an air gate. This is quite unique to chippers and shredders out there, especially as the Tazz produces 20% more vacuum than other similar options on the market today. It’s not a huge machine, which means that you can store it neatly and it won’t get in the way of the rest of your tools.
It’s designed with safety and efficiency in mind, which is why the 11” wheels will never go flat and are always ready for use. There’s an easy to use debris bag which has a bottom-out zipper for access to the materials. If you’re conscious on budget and you’re only looking to use your shredder a few times a year, this is a great choice.
- DEPENDABLE - 212 cc Viper engine with a 5-year ; Always-ready, 11" wheels will never go flat
- Accessories - Optional vacuum kit featuring a unique air gate and largest-in-class rotor, Tazz produces 20% more vacuum than similar chipper shredders
- Convenient - 25. 4" Wide by 29. 9" Long, It takes up minimal room in your garage or shed
- Easy-to-use - rugged easy-to-use debris bag featuring the bottom-out zipper and a quick dock-and-lock bag connector
- - 5-Year on product if it was purchased on or after 3/15/2017
One of the most popular models in the Patriot line, this product is the only one of its kind on the market today. It’s cited as the best out there, and if you want something powerful, durable and ready to go, this is it. It’s fantastic for regular yard work and it’s build in every way like the huge gasoline shredders out there but it’s not! There are no hassles with gas or oil in this model, and it turns on with the flip of a switch. It’s great for use indoors as well as out, and you can use it in the basement, garage or hothouse, too. It’s easy to wheel around, as it weighs in at less than 100lb. There’s no exhaust, so no ugly fumes, and it plugs in easily to your standard 110 volt outlet. You will need a good extension cord of less than 100ft, as this is one that can draw 14 amp of electricity. Providing you with a safe, easy way to clear material from your wood chipper leaf shredder, all processed materials discharge out of the side of the machine into the collection bag. Whenever it cuts down, you get coin sized chips out of large branches of 2.5 inches in diameter, making packing easy.
This model has been built with comfort in mind, so the quiet, smooth maintenance free electronic motor has a flip switch start with no huge revs of a pull cord. If you get the electric cord, you can extend the warranty on your chipper by a year. This product has it all, coming with a 2 year warranty, a collection bag and a pair of safety goggles.
- Purchase Patriot's Electric Cord now and EXTEND YOUR CHIPPER’S WARRANTY ONE YEAR.
- The quiet, smooth, maintenance free electric motor starts with just the flip of a switch.
- Easily shred mountains of leaves by sliding them into the large hopper on the top of the unit.
- The Patriot will make coin-sized chips out of branches up to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- All processed material will discharge out the side of the machine into the standard collection bag.
Over the winter and Fall months, dead leaves and tree debris cover your land. With a chipper shredder like this one, you can get it cleared and cleaned by the next season and you can get the job done quickly. An ideal choice for gardeners, there are a lot of features that you will love about this particular model. There’s a 3 in 1 design with a top hopper for volume chipping. There is also a side chute on this model, which is perfect for small branches and limbs from the trees. On the inside, there’s a shredder for leaf loading and you can also purchase an additional vacuum kit. This wood chipper has a 3” max wood diameter capacity with an auto-feed function that goes at a reduction ratio of 15:1 – it can handle the tough jobs.
The engine power and displacement 7 HP 212cc means you get ultimate power, and it’s a wood chipper that comes with a powerful recoil starting gas powered engine. It’s pertinent for you to be careful of yourself with gas being used, so be aware of the sheer amount of gasoline that this fuel wood chipper uses. This has 87+ unleaded gasoline, with a max capacity of 0.7 gallons. Don’t panic though, because safety comes first and this wood chipper has EPA3 and is CARB Certified to ensure your safety. Not happy? There is a 3 year limited warranty included in the product.
- MULTI-FUNCTION CAPABILITY; This 3-in-1 Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher design has a Reduction Ratio of 15:1 when using the top Hopper for 1/2" MAX volume Chipping/Shredding; Side Chute for 3" MAX branch/limbs, or the attachable leaf vacuum for mulching
- POWERFUL; This Chippers powerful recoil starting 7HP 212cc Horizontal 4-stroke Single Cylinder OHV Gas Powered Engine, handles up to 3" diameter wood without a problem; Fuel w/ 87+ unleaded gasoline (NO ETHANOL recommended), 0.7 gallons Max capacity
- EFFICIENT DESIGN; Hookup your favorite: ATV, lawn mower or small tractor, for easy transportation with a Tow Bar Kit (SOLD SEPARATELY) and use the vacuum inlet for easy leaf mulching with a Vacuum Kit (SOLD SEPARATELY)
- SAFETY; Always operate according to directions outlined in the user manual, always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection (ENGINE OIL NOT INCLUDED); Can be used to aid in fire prevention and building firebreaks; This machine is EPA/CARB Certified
- BEST APPLICATION; Use for Forestry, Gardens, Landscaping or Green Waste Recycling to chip tree branches/limbs, shred brush, mulch leaves and corn stocks; DO NOT use for: fresh greens, pine cones, palm branches (fronds will jam), pertrified wood or vines
With affordability in question when you are looking for a good wood chipper, this is an option that you want to invest in. The eco-shredder is a chipper, shredder and mulcher, and when you need an easy way to clean up the yard after raking the leaves and trimming the bushes, you want this Eco-Shredder in your garage. With no gasoline engines to try to start, you can clean up the yard while cleaning up the environment. The top hopper doesn’t just accept leaves, you get to add twigs and small branches, too, so that you can make your own mulch! The powerful 14 amp motor gets the job done quickly, and as the product is so lightweight, you can transport it around the yard without straining your back.
There’s a safety overload protection switch for ultimate safety and it’s small size means that you get a compact tool without taking up much space. This product comes with extra cutting blades included for free and with no gas engine, it’s easy to maintain and operate.