Trees branches can be heavy and bulky, and cleaning up one that falls on your property can be a hassle. The trunk and larger branches can be cut for firewood, but what do you do with all the small branches?
That is where a chipper/shredder really shines. Instead of just hauling away all those branches, or trying to burn them (and ending up with a pile of ash), you can easily transform them into mulch you can use in your garden and landscaping.
In fact, if you have a number of trees on your property you can save on money spent at the gardening center by turning downed branches into homemade mulch. All you need is the right wood chipper/shredder for the job and you are in business.
Chippers are machines used for chopping, grinding, cutting, and shredding various materials ranging from trees to metal. A wood chipper has two chipper chutes. One chipper chute shreds the tree branches to chute while the other one has additional devices like hammers and blades.
Types Of Chipper Shredders
Chippers can be electric or gas-powered. Most of the small wood chippers for consumer use are going to use an electric motor. The size of the engine is going to have an impact on the level of power that the tool has, as well as how well it will perform.
Wood chippers are mostly powered by gas, but there are differences between the two.
Electric Wood Chippers
Electric wood chippers are ideal for homeowners who want to chip some of the trees they harvest on their own. These devices run on electricity, so there is no need for gasoline or oil.
This makes them safe and non-polluting, which is perfect if you value the environment. They are also very easy to use, so you can get started within minutes of unboxing it.
When compared to gas-powered models, most electric models of wood chippers tend to be lighter and more compact. While this means that it will take longer before you finish your work; this actually gives you more time to rest because its lightweight design allows you to move it around freely all day long without tiring yourself out too much.
Here are some benefits of electric wood chippers.
- Cleaner than a gas-powered motor
- Different maintenance levels compared to a gas-powered option
- More affordable to purchase
- Not as powerful as the gas option, but that’s because it’s designed for smaller chipping jobs.
- Limited mobility due to the need to be plugged into an outlet.
- Cleaner operation: no oil, fuel additives, etc. required.
- No firing up the engine every time you want to cut some limbs/bush/etc. – just plug it in and start cutting!
- Fuel costs are much lower with electric units (electricity is cheaper per kWh, cleaner-burning, produces less pollution, etc.).
- Same power as a gas-powered wood chipper for cutting and grinding.
- Much lighter than gas power chippers: 50lbs less than average weight.
- Quieter than gas-powered wood chippers: 75dB vs 90+ dB of noise!
- Electric chipper shredders have lower maintenance costs for electric units.
Gas-powered chipper shredder
A gas-powered chipper shredder is a device used to cut up logs into pieces small enough to be burnt in wood stoves or fireplaces. It chops up the logs instead of just splitting them, creating smaller pieces that are easier for the flames to catch hold of.
Most gas models allow users to adjust how finely chopped their logs will be, which can change depending on the size of the fire and how much heat they want it to produce. All gas-powered shredders also come with safety features.
These features include an automatic shutoff if too many tree branches are inserted at once or if something gets caught in the machinery. These can usually be overridden by pressing a button or pulling out a pin.
Gas wood chipper shredders are the go-to machine for outdoor wood waste management. If you live in wooded areas, you no doubt know how wood chips can quickly become a pesky problem.
Leaves and other yard debris make the wood chips seem like the least of your problems. You do not want wood chips lying around, but wood chips are fantastic for gardening and creating compost soil.
Here are some benefits of a gas wood chipper shredder.
- Way more power than the electric models.
- Can handle much larger wood and tree loads.
- Not tied to a power source so are far more mobile as an option.
- A gas wood chipper shredder saves your time since it cuts wood faster than a handsaw
- It’s environmentally friendly. It helps reduce the amount of yard debris by turning dead wood into wood chips on the spot
- Protects your trees from being damaged by lawn mowers and weed whips.
- A convenient size for easy handling. Small enough to move around your yard, but tough enough to get the job done.
With all of that in mind, here are five of the top chipper shredder reviews, so that you can make a more informed decision about your purchase.
Wood Chipper Comparison Chart
The SuperHandy leaf mulcher shredder is a useful tool in any garden. It makes it easy to collect leaves and shred them in a way that spreads them and allows you to use them as mulch.
This wood chipper shredder is suitable for general light outdoor uses such as forestry, gardening, and planting. The SuperHandy Leaf Mulcher Shredder is designed with a durable heavy-duty steel upper feeding port and body.
The extension cord powers a powerful 15-AMP 1800-Watt 120VAC 60Hz electric belt-driven motor, capable of taking care of 0.5” max diameter small branches and twigs. The water and tear-resistant heavy-duty detachable collection sack is 30” tall x 17.5” diameter, for a capacity of 50 gallons.
The machine provides consistent speeds with 3 x 11” blades gyrating at 4,100RPMs. Unlike gasoline-powered chippers this electric leaf mulcher shredder produces no smog and is quieter, making it eco and user friendly, and so a great choice for green renewable recycling and waste management.
The durable steel housing is supported by a firm and sturdy powder-coated steel frame, protecting the motor assembly. It’s equipped with an easy operation instant start switch that is 2-pole water-resistant.
It also has an integrated circuit protection button to provide overload protection. Weighing only 25 lbs, 2 x non-air filled 8” wheels are included for easy mobility and transportation, meaning that it gives you excellent portability and flexibility.
The Super Handy Leaf Mulcher Shredder is built to listed approved standards, certified, and fully quality tested. Landworks Leaf Mulcher Shredder is best suited for outdoor environments
- Excellent buy for a gardener
- Recommended for homeowners with a Fall leaf problem
- Durable non-air filled 8” wheels for easy maneuverability
- No smog, quiet, and eco-friendly
- Can handle heavy-duty jobs
- Clogs much too easily will only eat dry leaves
- Customer support needs to improve
- SPECIFICATIONS - This All Electric Leaf Mulcher Shredder is designed w/ a durable Heavy Duty Steel Upper Feeding port & Body. We are powering this machine with all powerful 15-AMP 1800 Watt 120VAC 60Hz Electric Belt Driven motor, capable of 0.5”inch (12.7mm) MAX Diameter small branches/ twigs. Providing consistent speeds with (3) 11" (280mm) inch blades gyrating at 4,100RPMs. Unlike gasoline powered chippers this electric Leaf Mulcher produces no smog & is quieter, making it ECO & USER FRIENDLY
- DESIGN and CAPABILITIES - Great choice for Green Renewable Recycling & Waste Management. The durable Steel housing is supported by a firm & sturdy powder coated steel frame, protecting the motor assembly. Our Leaf Mulcher is equipped w/ an instant start switch & Overload Protection switch. Included are (2) 6” wheels to make transporting easy
- SAFETY and PROPER USE - Our Electric Leaf Mulcher Shredder Mulcher Shredder is built to listed approved standards & certified cull quality tested. Always use the correct extension cord type/size for the distance of extension needed, refer to the owner’s manual on page E2 for recommended instructions, also always connect Wood Chipper to a GFCI outlet. SuperHandy Leaf Mulcher Shredder are best suited for outdoor environments
Another model by SuperHandy, their corded all-electric Wood Chipper Silent Shredder Mulcher is designed with a durable polypropylene body and 11-gallon plastic collection bin.
Its 15-AMP 1800Watt 120VAC 60Hz electric belt-driven motor is capable of handling 1.9” max chipping capacity to 17:1 reduction with a speed of 4,100RPMs. Same as its SuperHandy stable mate above, compared to gasoline-powered chippers this electric leaf mulcher shredder produces no smog and is quieter, making it eco and user friendly.
It’s another great choice of wood chipper for green renewable recycling and waste management.
You can operate this wood chipper shredder without waking the neighbors, as it’s ultra-silent, thanks to the innovative electric power plant design, engineering, and construction.
The durable polypropylene housing will not rust nor dent, protecting the rotor assembly which consists of 2 cutting blades for maximum chipping capability.
It’s equipped with an easy and instant start, and overload protection switches, and a forward and reverse button. Included is a 13.7” supply cable and 2 x non-air filled 8” wheels are for good mobility and transportation. Also, a safe and sturdy push paddle.
The SuperHandy Wood Chipper Silent Shredder Mulcher is cETLus, Intertek GS Listed to approved standards and certified, including quality tested. This model is suitable for light work in indoor as well as outdoor environments.
The SuperHandy Wood Chipper Shredder is a powerful and easy-to-use tool that can be used for many different applications. It makes the perfect mulch of leaves, twigs, branches, small logs and other organic material.
The mulching process shreds the yard waste into fine pieces that are ideal to use in your garden or compost bin. The mulched material can then be spread evenly over your lawn or garden to enrich the soil with nutrients.
- Durable quality equipment makes great mulch of a large pile of leaves.
- Very good for leaf mulch integration into the organic garden
- Solid metal construction and blades
- Does exactly what you need it for
- Solid construction let down by under-powered motor
- Could only handle a handful of leaves at a time or would quit working. Even small twigs would cause a jam.
- CHIPPER SPECS - This All Electric Corded Wood Chipper is designed w/ a durable Polypropylene body and all powerful 14.5-AMP 1800Watt 120VAC 60Hz Electric Belt Driven motor, capable of 1.5" for coarse fiber hardwood and 1.7” for fine fiber softwood MAX Branch Chipping Capacity to 17:1 Reduction w/ a Speed of 4,100RPMs. A Safe and Sturdy Push Paddle and LARGE 40 Liter Collection Bin included
- UNIQUE DESIGN - Operate this Chipper without waking the neighbors! Our Chipper is Ultra silent, thanks to the innovative electric power motor. The durable Polypropylene housing will not rust nor dent & protects the rotor assembly which consists of (6) Cutting Blades for maximum chipping capability. Our Wood Chipper is equipped w/ an easy instant start switch & Overload Protection switch. Included is a Supply Cable of 13.7” (0.35m/1.1’) & transported easily w/ the (2) 6” Wheels
- SAFETY FIRST - Our Electric Wood Chippers are cETLus, Intertek GS Listed to approved standards and certified, including quality tested; Our SuperHandy Wood Chippers are best suited for indoor/outdoor environments; Unlike gasoline powered chippers this electric wood chipper produces no smog & is quieter, making it ECO and USER FRIENDLY
- PROPER USE - Always use the correct extension cord type/size for the distance of extension needed, refer to the owner’s manual on page E2 for recommended instructions, also always connect Wood Chipper to a GFCI outlet; (NOTE: During Assembly make sure to follow manual assembly instructions under Figure. 6 and page 14 for further instruction to properly clear a jam)
Landworks is a reliable manufacturer that has developed astounding advances in premium outdoor power equipment. This Landwork all-electric leaf mulcher shredder is no exception. It’s designed with a durable heavy-duty steel upper feeding port & body.
It’s powered by a powerful 15-AMP 1800 Watt 120VAC 60Hz electric belt-driven motor, capable of shredding small branches and twigs of 0.5-inch (12.7mm) maximum diameter.
Providing consistent speeds with a uniquely designed and tested 3 x11″ (280mm) blade system gyrating at 4,100RPMs that virtually powderize leaves & small branches.
Unlike gasoline-powered chippers this electric leaf mulcher produces no smog and is quieter, making it both eco and user-friendly.
The Landworks Leaf Mulcher Shredder is a great choice for green renewable recycling and waste management. The durable steel housing is supported by a firm and sturdy powder-coated steel frame, protecting the motor assembly. Also featuring a highly desirable and safe heavy-duty steel upper feeding chute.
It’s equipped with an instant start switch and an overload protection switch. Included are 2 x 6” wheels to make transporting easy. The waste catch bag is made of durable PP fabric with PE coating, which is water and tear-resistant.
This wood chipper shredder features a flexible hoop to increase stability and keep the bag open, to easily fill and empty, and double-stitched straps to easily and quickly attach and detach as you like.
The Landworks Leaf Mulcher Shredder is the best way to make your yard look like a professional landscaper has been working on it. No more raking, no more leaf blowers, no more hours of work! Simply attach this chipper shredder to any standard-sized mower and get on with your day.
The shredded leaves will be collected into a large collection bag that you can easily remove and take to the compost heap or dumpster.
- 15-AMP1200-watt electric motor spins at a whopping 4100RPM!
- Powder-coated structure should mean a lifetime free of rust
- Double-stitched straps to easily and quickly attach & detach at your will
- Easily assemble in minutes
- Rubber flaps over the hopper make it very difficult to get leaves into the machine
- Leaves must be absolutely dry otherwise the blades will stick
Sun Joe specializes in developing innovative outdoor tools to keep your home looking beautiful throughout the. Their expansive line of outdoor power equipment, which includes manual, cordless, and electric tools such as lawnmowers, trimmers, tillers, and snow blowers, aims to simplify your yard routine to make it quick and easy to get your outdoor chores done. The CJ603E Electric Silent Wood Chipper/Shredder is no exception.
Its powerful 15-AMP 120V-60Hz rated voltage motor effectively chips and shreds leaves, twigs, brush, and branches up to 1.73” thick, making easy work of turning into nutrient-rich mulch. mulch, allowing you to conveniently reduce, reuse and recycle your yard debris.
Further eco-friendliness is provided by its zero carb emissions for cleaner air. The Sun Joe CJ603E Electric Silent Wood Chipper/Shredder’s compact design weighs 39lbs with 7” non-air filled wheels and a lightweight 6-gallon collection container.
These plus the shredder stand provide easy portability as well as excellent versatility. It’s equipped with an easy and instant start, and overload protection switches, and a forward and reverse button. For further safety, a hopper with a locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened.
- 15-amp electric motor is perfect for turning leaves, twigs, brush and branches up to 1.73-inches in diameter into nutrient-rich mulch
- Reduces your yard waste into 1/21st of its original size
- Compact design with 7-inch wheels for easy portability
- Zero carb emissions for cleaner air
- The slot at the top is 1.25 inches wide so you practically need to put the leaves in one at a time!
- Poor customer support
- [VERSATILE]: Ideal for turning leaves, twigs, brush, and branches into nutrient-rich mulch ; Rated Voltage 120 V - 60 Hz
- [POWERFUL]: 15-amp motor effectively chips and shreds branches up to 1.73-inches thick
- [SAFETY]: Safety hopper with locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened
- [PORTABLE]: Compact design with 7-inch wheels for easy portability
You can turn your debris into mulch rich in nutrients with the Sun Joe Electric Chipper. And you can do it in minutes. It’s the best wood chipper powered by a 15 amp motor which chips and shred at 4,300 revs per minute. This makes very quick work out of the brush and as it’s designed for light-duty jobs, it can shred wooden sticks and limbs up to 1.5” thick.
It’s easy to assemble and doesn’t need much in the way of maintenance, and it’s ready to go whenever you are. Plug it in and off you go! It’s got a safety stop that engages as soon as the hopper is opened, and it’s fully backed by a two-year warranty.
Sun Joe CJ603E Electric Chipper shredder is a powerful machine for homeowners that are looking to chip branches and shred their garden waste.
This best electric chipper shredder has a compact design that is perfect for smaller gardens. You can get rid of garden waste with ease and there’s no need to burn or compost the waste anymore.
- Can handle sticks and leaves
- Too narrow chute
- Can’t connect plastic or paper lawn bag
- Leaves are not cut small enough
- Ideal for turning branches and twigs into nutrient-rich garden mulch
- Powerful 15 amp motor effectively chips and shreds branches up to 1.5-Inches thick.No Load Speed (rpm):4100 rpm
- Compact design with 6-inch wheels for easy portability; Sound power level: 113 dB
- Safety hopper with locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened. Hopper Dimensions-2 x 5 inches. Wheel Size-6 inch
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
The Benefits Of Using A Wood Chipper
Today wood chippers are a common sight during winter due to the amount of wood that is being cut down from trees. With wood chippers, wood can be turned into wood chips which can then be used as fuel for fires and stoves.
There are plenty of different benefits for having a chipper shredder in your garden shed, and we’ve got some of the best ones for you below:
- Clean Up Is Quicker – A wood chipper can turn even the largest of trees into tiny little pieces, and it can make clearing up a large wooded area much faster. All you have to do is gather the chunks after you’ve put the wood through the chipper.
- No Burning Needed – Most people burn unwanted wood, and with a chipper shredder, you can avoid this altogether. You can burn the chips, or you could make use of them. They can lower the costs of fertilizers for your plants and even fuel for the car. You can save the environment by avoiding burning.
- Useful Materials – Whether you’re looking to create mulch or compost, your chippings don’t have to be trashed. You can also turn the chippings into pressed wood – people buy wood chippings to press them down and make them into other things, which is always worth looking into.
- Bio Fuel – This is likely the most interesting thing that you can do with wood chippings, as you can use them to run your car or other vehicles. It’s an environmentally friendly way to run your vehicle, so it’s worth considering.
- Portability: Wood chippers also offer portability as an added bonus. You can easily move them from one place to another with just a simple lift due to their lightweight. It only takes a few minutes to switch from wood chipper to shredder as a utility as well. In addition, it is environmentally friendly as the chips leftover from processing can be used as compost or fertilizer for plants and trees.
Final Things to Consider When Shopping for the Best Wood Chipper
The best chipper shredders in your yard will be durable, powerful and offer the option to clear small clippings and thicker branches. Let’s have a look at the factors to help you make the right choice when buying a new wood chipper.
1. Determine What Size Wood Chipper You Need
You should determine what size of mini wood chipper shredder you need by the type of project that you plan to do. Determine how much material you will be processing at any given time, including branches, limbs, twigs, and leaves.
You need to know how much space you have available in order to make an accurate selection. Most models are between six and eight feet long. This means they can be too large for smaller garages.
However, some manufacturers produce smaller units that are more practical if storage space is limited. It is also very important to check how wide the feeding opening is in order to make sure it can accept large branches without any problems.
2. Determine What Features You Need
You should also determine what features you need in your electric wood chipper shredder. These will vary depending upon the type of wood chipper that you choose. For example, if you plan to chip up small branches no larger than 1-inch thick for use as mulch, a light-duty wood chipper shredder would be a great choice.
However, if you plan to chip up branches that are larger than 1-inch thick for use in your fireplace or woodstove, then a heavy-duty electric wood chipper shredder is recommended.
3. Determine Where You Will Use Your Wood Chipper
You should also determine where you plan to use your wood chipper since this will help you determine the type of material that it can chip. For example, if you live in an area where most of the fallen branches are made up of dead twigs and leaves, a medium-duty model would be best.
However, if you need to chip up wood for your fireplace or woodstove, you will likely need to buy a heavier-duty model.
4. Determine Your Budget
Finally, you should set a budget before you begin shopping for the best wood chipper for your needs. Generally speaking, light-duty models are the least expensive.
The heavy-duty electric model costs more money to purchase and requires higher maintenance costs. For this reason, it is best to determine which features are the most important to you before setting your budget.
5. Are there enough power outlets in your yard?
If you do not have enough power outlets in your yard, you will need to purchase a model that is electric-powered. A gas-powered chipper shredder is a more popular option these days due to its increased efficiency and powerful functionalities.
6. Performance and Capacity
The chipper’s feeding opening has a large diameter. This is because it must be able to accept even thick branches without any problems. In addition, the blades should rotate at a very high speed in order to cut them into small pieces.
Also, it is important to ensure that the chipper can sustain long hours of use without any problems. This means it should have a solid and durable design. If you plan on using the machine in your business for several years, then choose a wood chipper with an extra-thick shield to prevent jams.
7. Your budget
Wood chippers are available in different price ranges depending on their features. However, it is important to adjust the budget based on your needs and requirements.
If you just need a chipper shredder for occasional use, then knowing that there is a lower-priced model with fewer features is very important. However, if you need a tool for professional work, then it is recommended to invest in a high-end model with extra features and great performance.
With all this information at hand, your choice of the best wood chippers should be much easier to make. Just keep in mind that owning a wood chipper shredder can make it possible to dispose of fallen branches, yard waste, and twigs, without any problems.
This means you will no longer need to hire a contractor to do the job for you, which is very practical.
Tips For Keeping Your Chipper Shredder Running Smoothly
If your new wood chipper shredder is like most home equipment, it gets a lot of use and can easily wear down. Fortunately, you can prolong its life if you take proper care of it even when you are using it to work on large branches. Here are some tips for taking care of your small engine.
- Clean the filter – Cleaning the filter of your wood chipper shredder keeps it clean and running smoothly.
- Change oil regularly. This helps your engine to run cool and efficiently, extending its life.
- Use high-grade gas with stabilizer added. No matter how well you maintain your machine, gasoline can go bad quickly if it has been sitting too long. High-grade gasoline has better additives and will help the engine of your wood chipper shredder stay clean and running smoothly.
- Clean chips before disposing of them – Dirt or yard waste that builds up in your wood chipper shredder can damage the blades. Rock particles that break off from masonry, for instance, can be really damaging to chipper shredder blades.
Choosing a wood chipper can be a challenge especially if you have never used them before. With the availability of gas chippers and electric chippers, you might not know what’s the best thing for you. Here are some frequently asked questions that might answer what you have in mind about best chipper shredders
What is the best chipper on the market?
The SuperHandy Leaf Mulcher Shredder is considered one of the best wood chippers in the market, thanks to its ability to handle heavy-duty tasks. Most people who have used it are happy with the results.
What should I look for when buying a wood chipper?
There are several things you should consider when shopping for a wood chipper. First, think about the size of the chipper that’s needed.
Most of them are manufactured in standard sizes but can be customized to meet your needs if necessary.
Other factors include how powerful it is, any special features that might be required, and warranty information on the parts.
Price is an obvious consideration but it isn’t always a guide to what you get for your money.
What is the difference between a shredder and a chipper?
Shredders and chippers both have a similar purpose but are designed differently to achieve it.
Large, overgrown yards can be difficult or impractical to maintain manually. A typical homeowner would not have the time nor tools needed to handle branches and shrubs by cutting them down into smaller pieces that could be bagged for disposal.
Instead, both homeowners and landscapers turn to wood shredders or chippers to make yard maintenance easier.
While both machines are designed for cutting, they utilize different techniques in doing so. A wood chipper is meant for making relatively small chips while a shredder is used more to break down organic material into smaller parts that can be bagged and disposed of.
Making Your Own Mulch
If you’ve never used a chipper/shredder before, here is a good YouTube video demonstrating how you can use one to save money on mulch for your garden: