Trees branches can be heavy and bulky, and cleaning up one that falls on your property can be a hassle. The trunk and larger branches can be cut for firewood, but what do you do with all the small branches?
That is where a chipper/shredder really shines. Instead of just hauling away all those branches, or trying to burn them (and ending up with a pile of ash), you can easily transform them into mulch you can use in your garden and landscaping.
In fact, if you have a number of trees on your property you can save on money spent at the gardening center by turning downed branches into homemade mulch. All you need is the right wood chipper/shredder for the job and you are in business.
Types Of Chipper Shredders
Most of the small wood chippers for consumer use are going to use an electric motor. The size of the engine is going to have an impact on the level of power that the tool has, as well as how well it will perform. Larger chippers are mostly powered by gas, but there are differences between the two.
Electric Wood Chippers
- Cleaner than a gas-powered motor
- Different maintenance levels compared to a gas-powered option
- More affordable to purchase
- Not as powerful as the gas option, but that’s because it’s designed for smaller chipping jobs.
- Limited mobility due to the need to be plugged into an outlet.
Gas Wood Chippers
- Way more power than the electric models.
- Can handle much larger wood and tree loads.
- Not tied to a power source so are far more mobile as an option.
With all of that in mind, here are five of the top chipper shredder reviews, so that you can make a more informed decision about your purchase.
Wood Chipper Comparison Chart
Suitable for general light outdoor uses such as forestry, gardening, and planting, the all-electric SuperHandy Leaf Mulcher Shredder is designed with a durable heavy-duty steel upper feeding port and body.
The extension cord powers a powerful 15-AMP 1800-Watt 120VAC 60Hz electric belt-driven motor, it’s capable of taking care of 0.5” max diameter small branches and twigs. The water and tear-resistant heavy-duty detachable collection sack is 30” tall x 17.5” diameter, for a capacity of 50 gallons.
The machine provides consistent speeds with 3 x 11” blades gyrating at 4,100RPMs. Unlike gasoline-powered chippers this electric leaf mulcher shredder produces no smog and is quieter, making it eco and user friendly, and so a great choice for green renewable recycling and waste management.
The durable steel housing is supported by a firm and sturdy powder-coated steel frame, protecting the motor assembly. It’s equipped with an easy operation instant start switch that is 2-pole water-resistant. It also has an integrated circuit protection button to provide overload protection. Weighing only 25 lbs, 2 x non-air filled 8” wheels are included for easy mobility and transportation, meaning that it gives you excellent portability and flexibility.
The Super Handy Leaf Mulcher Shredder is built to listed approved standards, certified, and fully quality tested. Landworks Leaf Mulcher Shredder is best suited for outdoor environments
- Excellent buy for a gardener
- Recommended for homeowners with a Fall leaf problem
- Durable non-air filled 8” wheels for easy maneuverability
- No smog, quiet, and eco-friendly
- Clogs much too easily, will only eat dry leaves
- Customer support needs to improve
- SPECIFICATIONS - This All Electric Leaf Mulcher Shredder is designed w/ a durable Heavy Duty Steel Upper Feeding port & Body. We are powering this machine with all powerful 15-AMP 1800 Watt 120VAC 60Hz Electric Belt Driven motor, capable of 0.5”inch (12.7mm) MAX Diameter small branches/ twigs. Providing consistent speeds with (3) 11" (280mm) inch blades gyrating at 4,100RPMs. Unlike gasoline powered chippers this electric Leaf Mulcher produces no smog & is quieter, making it ECO & USER FRIENDLY
- DESIGN and CAPABILITIES - Great choice for Green Renewable Recycling & Waste Management. The durable Steel housing is supported by a firm & sturdy powder coated steel frame, protecting the motor assembly. Our Leaf Mulcher is equipped w/ an instant start switch & Overload Protection switch. Included are (2) 6” wheels to make transporting easy
- SAFETY and PROPER USE - Our Electric Leaf Mulcher Shredder Mulcher Shredder is built to listed approved standards & certified cull quality tested. Always use the correct extension cord type/size for the distance of extension needed, refer to the owner’s manual on page E2 for recommended instructions, also always connect Wood Chipper to a GFCI outlet. Landworks Leaf Mulcher Shredder are best suited for outdoor environments
Its 15-AMP 1800Watt 120VAC 60Hz electric belt-driven motor is capable of handling 1.9” max chipping capacity to 17:1 reduction with a speed of 4,100RPMs. Same as its SuperHandy stable mate above, compared to gasoline-powered chippers this electric leaf mulcher shredder produces no smog and is quieter, making it eco and user friendly.
It’s another great choice for green renewable recycling and waste management.
You can operate this Chipper without waking the neighbors, as it’s ultra-silent, thanks to the innovative electric power plant design, engineering, and construction.
The durable polypropylene housing will not rust nor dent, protecting the rotor assembly which consists of 2 cutting blades for maximum chipping capability.
It’s equipped with an easy and instant start, and overload protection switches, and a forward and reverse button. Included is a 13.7” supply cable and 2 x non-air filled 8” wheels are for good mobility and transportation. Also, a safe and sturdy push paddle. The SuperHandy Wood Chipper Silent Shredder Mulcher is cETLus, Intertek GS Listed to approved standards and certified, including quality tested. This model is suitable for light work in indoor as well as outdoor environments.
- Durable quality equipment makes great mulch of a large pile of leaves.
- Very good for leaf mulch integration into the organic garden
- Solid metal construction and blades
- Does exactly what you need it for
- Solid construction let down by under-powered motor
- Could only handle a handful of leaves at a time or would quit working. Even small twigs would cause a jam.
- SPECIFICATIONS - This All Electric Corded Wood Chipper Shredder & Mulcher is designed w/ a durable Polypropylene body & all powerful 15-AMP 1800Watt 120VAC 60Hz Electric Belt Driven motor, capable of 1.9” (48.2mm) MAX Limb Chipping Capacity to 17:1 Reduction w/ a Speed of 4,100RPMs. Unlike gasoline powered chippers this electric wood chipper produces no smog & is quieter, making it ECO & USER FRIENDLY. Included is a LARGE 40 Liter collection bin. We included a Safe & Sturdy Push Paddle
- EFFICIENT DESIGN & CAPABILITIES - Operate this Chipper without waking the neighbors! Our Chipper is Ultra silent, thanks to the innovative electric power plant. The durable Polypropylene housing will not rust nor dent & protects the rotor assembly which consists of (2) Cutting Blades for maximum chipping capability. Our Wood Chipper is equipped w/ an easy instant start switch & Overload Protection switch. Included is a Supply Cable of 13.7” (0.35m/1.1’) & transported easily w/ the (2) 6” Wheels
- SAFETY - Our Electric Wood Chippers are cETLus, Intertek GS Listed to approved standards and certified, including quality tested; Our SuperHandy Wood Chippers are best suited for indoor/outdoor environments
- PROPER USE - Always use the correct extension cord type/size for the distance of extension needed, refer to the owner’s manual on page E2 for recommended instructions, also always connect Wood Chipper to a GFCI outlet; (NOTE: During Assembly make sure to follow manual assembly instructions under Figure. 6 and page 14 for further instruction to properly clear a jam)
Landworks is a reliable manufacturer that has developed astounding advances in premium outdoor power equipment. This Landwork all-electric leaf mulcher shredder is no exception. It’s designed with a durable heavy-duty steel upper feeding port & body. It’s powered by a powerful 15-AMP 1800 Watt 120VAC 60Hz electric belt-driven motor, capable of shredding small branches and twigs of 0.5-inch (12.7mm) maximum diameter. Providing consistent speeds with a uniquely designed and tested 3 x11″ (280mm) blade system gyrating at 4,100RPMs that virtually powderizes leaves & small branches. Unlike gasoline-powered chippers this electric leaf mulcher produces no smog and is quieter, making it both eco and user-friendly.
The Landworks Leaf Mulcher Shredder is a great choice for green renewable recycling and waste management. The durable steel housing is supported by a firm and sturdy powder-coated steel frame, protecting the motor assembly. Also featuring a highly desirable and safe heavy-duty steel upper feeding chute.
It’s equipped with an instant start switch and overload protection switch. Included are 2 x 6” wheels to make transporting easy. The waste catch bag is made of durable PP fabric with PE coating, which is water and tear-resistant. It features a flexible hoop to increase stability and keep the bag open, to easily fill and empty, and double-stitched straps to easily and quickly attach and detach as you like.
- 15-AMP1200-watt electric motor spins at a whopping 4100RPM!
- Powder-coated structure should mean a lifetime free of rust
- Double-stitched straps to easily and quickly attach & detach at your will
- Easily assemble in minutes
- Rubber flaps over the hopper make it very difficult to get leaves into the machine
- Leaves must be absolutely dry otherwise the blades will stick
Sun Joe specializes in developing innovative outdoor tools to keep your home looking beautiful throughout the. Their expansive line of outdoor power equipment, which includes manual, cordless, and electric tools such as lawnmowers, trimmers, tillers, and snow blowers, aims to simplify your yard routine to make it quick and easy to get your outdoor chores done. The CJ603E Electric Silent Wood Chipper/Shredder is no exception.
Its powerful 15-AMP 120V-60Hz rated voltage motor effectively chips and shreds leaves, twigs, brush, and branches up to 1.73” thick, making easy work of turning into nutrient-rich mulch. mulch, allowing you to conveniently reduce, reuse and recycle your yard debris.
Further eco-friendliness is provided by its zero carb emissions for cleaner air. The Sun Joe CJ603E Electric Silent Wood Chipper/Shredder’s compact design weighs 39lbs with 7” non-air filled wheels and a lightweight 6-gallon collection container.
These plus the shredder stand provide easy portability as well as excellent versatility. It’s equipped with an easy and instant start, and overload protection switches, and a forward and reverse button. For further safety, a hopper with a locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened.
- 15-amp electric motor is perfect for turning leaves, twigs, brush and branches up to 1.73-inches in diameter into nutrient-rich mulch
- Reduces your yard waste into 1/21st of its original size
- Compact design with 7-inch wheels for easy portability
- Zero carb emissions for cleaner air
- The slot at the top is 1.25 inches wide so you practically need to put the leaves in one at a time!
- Poor customer support
- VERSATILE: Ideal for turning leaves, twigs, brush, and branches into nutrient-rich mulch ; Rated Voltage 120 V - 60 Hz
- POWERFUL: 15-amp motor effectively chips and shreds branches up to 1. 73-inches thick
- SAFETY: Safety hopper with locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened
- PORTABLE: Compact design with 7-inch wheels for easy portability
- WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED : Your new chipper is backed by the Snow Joe plus Sun Joe Customer Promise. We will warrant new, powered products for two years from the date of purchase. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
You can turn your debris into mulch rich in nutrients with the Sun Joe Electric Chipper. And you can do it in minutes. It’s powered by a 15 amp motor which chips and shred at 4,300 revs per minute. This makes very quick work out of the brush and as it’s designed for light-duty jobs, it can shred wooden sticks and limbs up to 1.5” thick.
It’s easy to assemble and doesn’t need much in the way of maintenance, and it’s ready to go whenever you are. Plug it in and off you go! It’s got a safety stop that engages as soon as the hopper is opened, and it’s fully backed by a two-year warranty.
- Can handle sticks and leaves
- Too narrow chute
- Can’t connect plastic or paper lawn bag
- Leaves are not cut small enough
- Ideal for turning branches and twigs into nutrient-rich garden mulch
- Powerful 15 amp motor effectively chips and shreds branches up to 1.5-Inches thick.No Load Speed (rpm):4100 rpm
- Compact design with 6-inch wheels for easy portability; Sound power level: 113 dB
- Safety hopper with locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened. Hopper Dimensions-2 x 5 inches. Wheel Size-6 inch
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
The Benefits Of Using A Wood Chipper
There are plenty of different benefits for having a chipper shredder in your garden shed, and we’ve got some of the best ones for you below:
- Clean Up Is Quicker – A wood chipper can turn even the largest of trees into tiny little pieces, and it can make clearing up a large wooded area much faster. All you have to do is gather the chunks after you’ve put the wood through the chipper.
- No Burning Needed – Most people burn unwanted wood, and with a chipper shredder, you can avoid this altogether. You can burn the chips, or you could make use of them. They can lower the costs of fertilizers for your plants and even fuel for the car. You can save the environment by avoiding burning.
- Useful Materials – Whether you’re looking to create mulch or compost, your chippings don’t have to be trashed. You can also turn the chippings into pressed wood – people buy wood chippings to press them down and make them into other things, which is always worth looking into.
- Bio Fuel – This is likely the most interesting thing that you can do with wood chippings, as you can use them to run your car or other vehicles. It’s an environmentally friendly way to run your vehicle, so it’s worth considering.
Making Your Own Mulch
If you’ve never used a chipper/shredder before, here is a good YouTube video demonstrating how you can use one to save money on mulch for your garden:
- firewood rack reviews
- chainsaw sharpener reviews
- battery powered chainsaw reviews
- pole saw reviews
- cordless right angle drill reviews