Utility knives get their name from their versatility. You can use them in so many different scenarios, and they come with a lot of different features. Anyone that’s ever done a bit of DIY will need a good utility knife in their tool kit. It’ll come in handy when you need to cut or strip things, and they’re small enough to fit in your pocket.
You’ll find different utility knives out there – some have fixed blades, some fold, and some are retractable. The one you buy depends on your own preference, but it’s good to look at some of the top options on sale right now. So, take a look at these five reviews if you’re hoping to find the best utility knife for your needs. Weigh up all the positives about each product, think about your budget and requirements, then make an informed purchase!
The Fastback 3 utility knife has all the makings of an exceptional product. Initially, there’s one really brilliant feature; blade storage. You’ve got the one blade used for cutting, then you can store an extra 4 blades inside the knife. So, if you ever need to swap them out, it can do it without rummaging through your tool kit or kitchen drawers until you find the replacements. It’s wildly convenient!
There’s also a quick-release function that lets you slide the blade out for use whenever you need it. It’s so simple to use, and there’s no danger of the blade coming out when it’s in your pocket – or flying from the knife when you retract it. Also, you won’t even need to keep it in your pocket as it has a little clip to attach to a belt or your trousers – simple. Or, you can loop a lanyard through a little hoop and wear it around your neck.
If one word best describes this utility knife, it’s versatile. Even when the blade is sheathed, you can still use the handle. It has a gut hook compartment built into it, and there’s also a wire stripping part as well. So, you can do so many things with this knife even when the blade isn’t out. Then, when the blade is out, you can lock it at a 45-degree angle for a different type of cutting ability. Again, this just adds to the versatility! The blade itself is very sharp and will have no issues cutting fabric straps, twine, wires, and so many more things.
The Milwaukee 48-22-1903 Fastback 3 is definitely a utility knife with a lot going for it. So, if you enjoy value for money and need a knife to go above and beyond cutting, then it might be perfect for you.
- Press and Flip Opening, 4 Blade Storage
- All Metal Body, Quick Blade Change
- Gut Hook, Wire Stripper, 6.75" Length
- Wire Form Belt Clip, Lanyard Hole
2. Husky 21113
The first thing you’ll notice about the Husky 2113 is that the handle is very grippy. It features a textured pattern that really helps it stick in your hand and stay very still when you use it. As a result, it might be the best utility knife to use in slippery conditions – like when it’s raining, or your hands are sweaty. You always feel in control, and this makes the knife a lot safer to use as well.
The second thing you’ll notice is that the blade is folding. It folds back in on itself when you’re not using it, so there’s never the fear of accidentally pushing down on a release butting that extends the blade outwards. So, you can carry it around in your pockets if you like – though there are also belt clips and lanyard loops to take advantage of too. The blade is made from patented stainless steel which gives it a very sharp edge. Therefore, it slices through heavily taped boxes with no effort whatsoever, and it makes light work of fabric as well.
There’s no denying that the blade is excellent, so it’s incredible that you get 10 blades with the knife. If the original one becomes too blunt, then there are 9 willing replacements waiting for you. For people that do a lot of DIY tasks using utility knives, this is a wonderful option. The fact you get loads of spare blades means you can keep up your frequent use without worrying about running out of replacements.
- TEXTURED HANDLE allows for increased friction between the unit and your hand, allowing for greater control, even in slippery conditions
- LANYARD LOOP at the base of the handle allows you to keep this on your person when you don’t have enough room in your pockets
- TOUGH BELT CLIP on the side of the unit keeps this safe on your pockets or work belt for when you need it most
- SAFE DESIGN: This blade folds in on itself, so you can keep yourself and those around you safe when it’s not in use
- INCLUDED BLADES: 10 disposable blades come with this unit. It’ll be a long time before you have to worry about picking up a new one
When you’re searching for the best utility knife, you quickly realize that a lot of products offer similar features. So, it’s helpful when you find one that just goes a little bit above and beyond what you expect. The FC Folding Pocket Utility Knife is a fantastic example of this. Yes, it cuts just as well as other utility knives, and it also boasts the same safety of other folding options. However, where this product comes alive is in the extra things you get with it.
You receive a knife holster with your utility knife, which helps you keep it safe and ensures it remains in tip-top condition. There are also 5 replacement blades – and it’s easy to fit them thanks to a quick-change mechanism that safely removes the current blade in-use. Speaking of which, this knife actually accepts the standard size utility blades. So, you can get any blades you want, and they will fit the knife.
Already, you’re getting a lot more for your money than you might think. Then, the quality of this knife makes it an absolute steal for the price. The blade is made from carbon-steel to offer precision sharpness and high durability. It cuts carpet, plastics, cardboard, wires; you name it! Plus, the body of the knife is constructed out of anodized aluminum and stainless steel. Again, these materials are so very durable; it’s hard to damage this knife! You can take it wherever you want as it comes with a steel clip that can attach to keys, your pocket, a work belt; whatever!
All in all, it’s an affordable option that packs a lot into the overall package. So, definitely one to consider if you don’t want to spend too much cash but still want a utility knife that’ll last.
- Sleek, lightweight anodized aluminum design with anti-slip grip. Handle doubles as pocket or money clip
- Heavy-duty carbon steel blades stay sharp longer. Convenient folding with the press of a button.
- Lock-back design safely locks the blade in place when in use
- Quick-change mechanism for easy blade removal | Accepts standard size utility blades.
- Includes a knife holster and 5 extra replacement blades
It’s by no means essential, but one great feature of this utility knife is the color scheme. It has a vibrant handle, and you can choose between blue, black and red. The Sheffield Utility knife is also folding, so you can tuck the sharp blade away when you don’t use it. One thing that stands out is how lightweight it is. It weighs 4 ounces, so you barely feel it in your hands at all. And, when it’s in your hand, the handle has an excellent grip to it and sits comfortably while you work.
The blade itself is 2.5 inches long and made from stainless steel. As mentioned in previous reviews, stainless steel blades get a very sharp and precise edge to them. Folding the blade is effortless, and there are protective pieces that cover the sides so you don’t risk cutting yourself. Then, when you need to change blades, you can use the quick-change mechanism for popping it out and slide another one in.
You’ll have no trouble cutting through paper, cardboard, and many other materials with this knife. The lightweightedness makes it the perfect pocket knife, but you get a belt clip in the package as well. It’s a comfortable knife to use, and you get a Lifetime Warranty with it as well. So, if you want a high-quality utility knife that’ll provide precision cutting, this could be the one you’ve been looking for.
- PATENTED QUICK-CHANGE BLADE MECHANISM: Nothing to unscrew when installing new folding box cutter blades, setting it apart from every other cardboard cutter out there
- LOCK BACK RELEASE: Box knife features the same lock back release as your favorite Sheffield pocket knives, keeping your blade safely in place when opened or closed
- BUILT WITH SAFETY IN MIND: Much safer than retractable utility knives with its smaller exposed cutting edge, patented quick-change blade mechanism, and lock back release; The textured grip gives you a firm hold in any situation, making this small box cutter more precise than your average box blade
- POWERFUL WORK KNIFE: Our box cutters are more than just box cutters; Cut carpet, paper, rope, rubber hoses, PVC, leather, fabric, Sheetrock, and so much more; These are the most practical utility knives for most any task
- FOLDING UTILITY KNIFE FULL SPECS: 6 inches open length, 3-1/2 inches closed length, patented quick-change blade mechanism, lock back design, thumb stud, textured aluminum grip, uses standard utility blades, features pocket clip
Finally, you’ve got the Stanley 10-099. Now, Stanley has been making knives for years, so you know you’re getting something good here. It’s a retractable blade, which means the blade hides inside the handle when you don’t use it. You push down on the button at the top and slide it up to reveal the blade when you require it.
Unlike other retractable utility knives, this one has three different positions that it can be locked in. Essentially, this lets you alter the length of the blade depending on the task at hand. Some things require full retraction, while others don’t. Carbon alloy steel makes up the blade, so it’s one of the sturdiest and longest-lasting options out there. In fact, the quality of the blade is what got this product in contention for the best utility knife. It cuts with the utmost precision and will handle any home improvement jobs. A lot of professionals use this knife, and that speaks volumes about the quality of it.
There’s nothing fancy about the handle or the grip, but you don’t expect that from a product in this price range. However, there is a little loop at the end for you to attack it to a belt or set of keys. The Stanley 10-099 is never going to be the most multi-functional utility blade on the market right now. But, it’s the type of product you buy to keep in your tool box or garage whenever you need it. If the time comes when you have to cut through boxes or tear up the carpet, then this will gladly be of service to you.
- Interlocking nose to hold blade securely
- Three-position retractable blade
- Blade storage in handle,Blade is stored inside the the body of the knife.
- Multi-position blade slide
- Includes three 11-921 Heavy Duty utility blades
Why You Should Carry A Utility Knife
This video gives a few good reasons why you should every day carry a utility knife: