Have you been looking for a decent spokeshave for a while? We bet you have! There are so many options available that it’s incredibly hard to find the perfect one. But don’t worry, we’re going to make your decision super easy.
Best Spokeshaves Comparison Table
|1. Stanley 12-951 Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
|2. Robert Larson 580-1000 Kunz 151 Flat Spokeshave
|3. Anndason 2 PCS Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
|4. Robert Larson Kunz Round Bottom Spokeshave
|5. Swpeet 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
|6. Meolin Woodworking Adjustable Spokeshave Flat Base Bench Planer
|7. Timber Tuff TMB-05DC 5″ Curved Draw Spokeshave Tool
|8. AmazonBasics Spokeshave w/ Flat Base for Woodworking
|9. ASTITCHIN Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base and Metal Blade
|10. Glarks 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
Let’s take a look at the 10 best spokeshaves, shall we?
Our Best Spokeshave Reviews and Comparisons
1. Robert Larson 580-1000 Kunz 151 Flat Spokeshave
The Robert Larson 580-1000 Kunz Spokeshave is a tool favored by many woodworkers. It’s versatile and made incredibly well. You can push or pull it — the developers ensured it can do both so when we say it’s an all-around brilliant device, we mean it.
This tool has been designed with both shaving quality and comfort in mind. The flat sole allows you to tackle convex and flat zones so all of your pieces are cut to perfection. After all, why would you want to settle for anything less?
- Made from hardened steel and cast iron
- Weight: 12.8 ounces
- The blade is adjustable
- Well-assembled body
What We Like About the Robert Larson 580-1000 Kunz 151 Flat Spokeshave
One of our favorite things about the Robert Larson 580-1000 spokeshave is the two adjustment knobs. These allow you to angle the blade accurately to get the precise depth you need or desire. We are yet to find another spokeshave that you can adjust to this extent.
We also like the fact that it’s made in Germany. This might seem like a strange factor to mention, however, this country is famous for making brilliant tools. It has to be said that this spokeshave definitely lives up to their standards.
Alongside all of this, the fact that you can work with either one or two hands is a blessing. It allows you to get into all those nooks, crannies, and hard-to-reach areas.
What We Don’t Like About the Robert Larson 580-1000 Kunz 151 Flat Spokeshave
Sadly, there is one main problem with this tool — the colored blade. While it looks sleek and stylish hanging in your workshop, the green blade can often leave smudge marks on your piece. This does spoil the look if you aren’t prepared to do the extra work to remove it.
- It is incredibly versatile
- It leaves a smooth surface
- It has two adjustment knobs
- You can use one or two hands to work it
- Turning with this spokeshave is precise
- It is expensive
- The colored blade sometimes smudges its paintwork on your piece
2. Anndason 2 PCS Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
This spokeshave by Anndason comes in a 2 piece set. Nowadays, this is certainly a rarity as companies try to capitalize on pretty much everything. But, other manufacturers have seemingly started to follow suit (which is rather exciting!).
Amazingly, the set is affordable and is perfect for beginners. However, experienced carpenters and other woodworkers can use these tools and get the job done. The materials the tools are made from have clearly been selected to last a lifetime. It’s unlikely that you’ll need to purchase another pair for quite some time. You get a lot of bang for your buck with these.
- The cutters are adjustable
- Handles are contoured for comfort
- Made from high-grade steel and metal
- Size: 9 inches x 1 ¾ inches
What We Like About the Anndason 2 PCS Adjustable Spokeshave w/Flat Base
Comfort comes into play a lot when we’re working. Most of the time, tools aren’t made for being used for hours on end. However, the handles on the Anndason spokeshaves are contoured. Therefore, they fit your hand comfortably and even give you more control over your work.
Additionally, you can adjust the blade to tackle curves and domed surfaces. If you love making chairs, clocks, and other potentially round items, this pair will be your new best friend.
What We Don’t Like About the Anndason 2 PCS Adjustable spokeshave w/ Flat Base
For those of you who lack patience when it comes to prep, you’ll want to steer clear of these. The blades require a load of preparation before you begin. While this might not seem like a hassle when you first get your hands on them, it does become a pain in the long run.
- It is easy to use
- It’s incredibly durable
- The design is ultra streamlined
- The size and weight are reasonable
- It works well with curves and/or rounded surfaces
- You have to spend quite a long time preparing the blades before you can use them
- The soles are rough which results in the clean-up time being longer than necessary
- The frame isn’t very flexible which makes positioning the blade at an angle impossible
3. Robert Larson Kunz Round Bottom Spokeshave
As you may have already guessed from the other Robert Larson spokeshave we’ve discussed, this tool is made in Germany. Thus, it’s very well made and works fantastically to remove roughness from your concave wooden pieces.
For some spokeshaves, knots and bark might be an issue. But it certainly isn’t for this beast! The blade is insanely sharp; you’ll be cutting through everything like its butter. Oh, just like its 580-1000 cousin, it has been designed for both pushing and pulling. This is great since only working in one direction can cause some serious backache.
- The blade is made from high-quality steel
- Round bottom
- Lever cap in place to hold the blade
- Adjusting screws are present
What We Like About the Robert Larson Kunz Round Bottom Spokeshave
We appreciate that it has been designed with concave surfaces in mind (the round bottom gives it away). There aren’t too many woodworking tools out there that take this into consideration and are offered at a reasonable price like this one.
The adjustment screws are easy to operate. We used to spend a lot of time worrying about the blade setting. But with this device, we’ve found it to be far less stressful.
As far as the actual shave quality goes, we love how thin it cuts. If you’re looking for thick shaves, you won’t get it with this one. The quality of the debris is mind-blowing — paper-thin and lighter than a feather. It makes it really easy to finesse rough edges into beautifully smooth surfaces.
What We Don’t Like About the Robert Larson Kunz Round Bottom Spokeshave
The major downside to this tool goes hand-in-hand with the thing we love about it. You can’t get thick cuts. As we said, it produces thin shaves magnificently. But, you won’t be able to do anything else with it.
- The blade is made from German steel so it’s amazing quality
- The round bottom is perfect for concave areas
- It is priced fairly
- It comes with adjusting screws so you can change the blade’s position
- The sole is well-polished
- It’s incredibly labor-intensive
- You won’t be able to use it for thick shavings
- The packaging might cause scuffs and scratches to the paintwork
4. Swpeet 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
We do love a 2 piece set which is precisely what we get with this Swpeet spokeshave. They even include replacement blades which we can’t complain about!
By far, this one is the least expensive. But somehow, it has still managed to attain enough quality to be among the best spokeshaves in the business! Go figure, right?
The blade has been treated with a specialized heat source that allows it to be corrosion-resistant and never wear. Although, it’s worth noting that it won’t last forever. You will need to replace it at some point — it’ll just last a tad longer than others on this list.
- 46mm of carbon steel blades
- Contoured handles for maximum comfort
- Comes with two adjustment screws
- Blades have been heat-treated to protect from wear
What We Like About the Swpeet 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
We can’t get over the sharpness of the blades! They shave like nothing else we’ve used before. Since they are so sharp though, you have to take extra care when using them (they tell you not to touch them with bare hands!).
Aside from that, we like the handles. They are contoured in the right places to fit your palm and support comfort. They even absorb some of the shock so you suffer fewer wrist and elbow complaints.
What We Don’t Like About the Swpeet 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
The adjustments aren’t as accurate as some of the others we’ve talked about so far, which makes some surfaces and angles hard to shave. To find what does and doesn’t work takes a lot of trial and error. This might not be so great if you’re working on a bespoke piece!
- The design is streamlined
- It comes with replacement blades (You won’t need to use these for ages, but it’s good to know you’ve got them)
- It’s budget-friendly
- The handles are comfortable thanks to the contours
- The adjustment screws are easy to use
- The adjustment isn’t as accurate as other models we’ve talked about.
- You have to be more mindful when using it as the blades are ridiculously sharp.
- It requires a lot of maintenance and care.
5. Stanley 12-951 Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
Durability is a vital quality of a spokeshave. Thankfully, the Stanley 12-951 has a lot of that! The flat base is made from cast iron that protects the entire tool from wear and tear. The handles alone will probably outlive humanity!
The cutters are around 2 to ⅛ inches wide and are fully adjustable. You can easily get into all the cracks and smooth everything out. Not to mention that you have the luxury of replaceable blades too.
- The blades are replaceable
- Comes with a vinyl pouch
- Designed for curved surfaces
- Cutters are adjustable
What We Like About the Stanley 12-951 Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
Originally, we thought replacing the blades would be a horrendous task. But we were sorely mistaken (and pleasantly surprised). The blades are super easy to replace! You just need to wear gloves so you don’t accidentally hurt yourself.
We also really like how budget-friendly it is. As time goes by, we’ve noticed how all woodworking companies have yanked up their prices. While we know it’s a necessary evil, it doesn’t sit well with our wallets. So, we’re happy to have found this Stanley spokeshave that is of great quality and hasn’t left a massive hole in our pockets.
Read Related Article: Best Stump Grinder
What We Don’t Like About the Stanley 12-951 Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
We don’t appreciate how quickly the blade dulls. If you are planning to use your spokeshave a lot, this will become incredibly frustrating. Switching them is easy, but having to do it too often will mentally exhaust you, and no one wants that!
Additionally, if you aren’t used to this brand’s tools, you’ll have to spend a lot of time practicing with them (even if you’re an experienced woodworker). It cuts differently compared to the others we’ve talked about.
- You can easily replace the blades
- It is affordable
- The parts are well put together
- The vinyl pouch protects the plane when you’re not using the tool
- The adjustable cutters make it great for intricate carving
- The casting is rough
- The blade becomes dull and blunt very quickly
- You’ll have to spend a lot of time getting used to how it cuts
6. Meolin Woodworking Adjustable Spokeshave Flat Base Bench Planer
This model of spokeshave can be pushed and pulled using two hands. The two-way approach allows you to get into any hard-to-reach spots and work easily. We don’t need to tell you how great this is!
We’ve found that this one works best when you’re working in shorter strokes. However, there’s no reason to say that you can’t use it for those long table legs (you might just have to work a bit harder to see the best results).
- Length = 8.46 inches
- Width = 1.9 inches
- Great for curved surfaces
- Body made from heavy metal steel
What We Like About the Meolin Woodworking Adjustable Spokeshave Flat Base Bench Planer
The heavy metal steel construction is a huge plus for us. You can use it in a variety of situations while not worrying about rust or scuffing. Perfect for those of you who like to get out in the elements.
The length of the handles is great too. Regardless of your hand size, you’ll be able to hold it comfortably. Therefore, using it for long periods doesn’t seem so daunting.
Additionally, the blade can be altered both vertically and horizontally, allowing you to get the perfect shave every time.
What We Don’t Like About the Meolin Woodworking Adjustable Spokeshave Flat Base Bench Planer
We do have a pretty big gripe with this one though. What is it, we hear you ask? Well, you have to sharpen the blades all the time. You’ll need to be prepared to put in a lot of maintenance time to keep everything working perfectly. This is something we typically do not like to do.
- It is resistant to rust
- The body is incredibly durable
- It is versatile
- It works wonderfully well on curved areas
- You can adjust the blade position both horizontally and vertically
- You have to spend a lot of time sharpening the blade
- The blade blunts pretty quickly
7. Timber Tuff TMB-05DC 5″ Curved Draw Spokeshave Tool
This one is different from the others. So, if you’re looking for a uniquely designed spokeshave, you’ve most certainly found it. However, it does work the same way so don’t worry too much if you’re experienced with regular spokeshaves!
- Blade length: 5 inches
- Size: 9 inches x 6 inches x 3.75 inches
- The blade is made from HRC 30 steel
- Weight: 1 pound
What We Like About the Timber Tuff TMB-05DC 5″ Curved Draw Spokeshave Tool
We’ve had this tool for a while now and we love it. The durability and strength are astonishing. Plus, we’ve been pleasantly surprised with the high level of customer service we’ve received.
Alongside all of this, you get a 1-year warranty with it — a risk-free purchase!
What We Don’t Like About the Timber Tuff TMB-05DC 5″ Curved Draw Spokeshave Tool
The one thing we aren’t so keen on is how often we’ve had to sharpen the blade. It does work without this regular maintenance. But you’ll have to be satisfied with sub-par cuts if you don’t maintain the blade properly.
- The design is unique and works well
- The blade sits at a 30-degree curved angle
- You are given a 1-year warranty by the manufacturer
- It is simple to use and creates wonderfully smooth surfaces
- The blade is durable
- You have to regularly sharpen the blade to keep it in tip-top condition
- Doesn’t come with replacement blades
8. AmazonBasics Spokeshave w/ Flat Base for Woodworking
Whether you’re trying to create smooth curves, intricate patterns, or fancy shapes, this spokeshave will work for you. Its double adjustment screws allow you to set a custom position so you can create all sorts of masterpieces.
- Double handle
- The blade is made from heat-treated alloy steel
- Great for curves
- Built to last
What We Like About the AmazonBasics Spokeshave w/ Flat Base for Woodworking
We like how the double handles allow you to maintain full control of the cutting and shaping process. It won’t veer off at unsightly angles and cause your hard work to go to waste. The epoxy coating is amazing for ensuring maximum durability too. You won’t be buying another one for a long time!
What We Don’t Like About the AmazonBasics Spokeshave w/ Flat Base for Woodworking
We were fairly disappointed with the adjustment screw upon arrival. It was completely misaligned. Sadly, this makes it unenjoyable for beginners as they’ll need to know how to set their tools up from scratch.
- The double handles offer fantastic control and comfort
- The two adjustment screws allow you to position the cutters however you’d like
- It comes with a 1-year Amazon warranty
- The blade is made from heat-treated alloy steel
- It isn’t great for beginners
- The adjustment screw is misaligned on arrival
- There is a bump in the casting
9. ASTITCHIN Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base and Metal Blade
This spokeshave is a must-have for those of you looking for ultimate durability and hardness. It comes with a heat-treated blade that you won’t need to worry about for years and double hands to support control and comfort.
- Heavy cast iron body
- Double handles
- Heat-treated blade
- 44mm carbon steel blade
What We Like About the ASTITCHIN Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base and Metal Blade
While the cast iron body makes it heavier than others we’ve discussed, we wouldn’t have it any other way. Why? Because it adds to the durability of the tool.
Additionally, the double-contoured handles ensure you stay comfy while you work. They also help to decrease the shock, allowing your joints to stay healthier for longer.
What We Don’t Like About the ASTITCHIN Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base and Metal Blade
Oddly, the paint on the bottom negates the fact that it’s supposed to be a “flat base” tool. The dried clumps impede your flow if you’re not careful. Experienced users will be able to overcome this, but if you’re a novice, purchase one of the others on this list.
- It comes with replaceable blades
- It’s been designed with curves in mind
- You can adjust the cutters
- The bottom is made from wear-resistant material
- The adjustment screws are sometimes hard to work with.
- The paintwork on the base makes it bumpy and not flat like it claims.
10. Glarks 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
If you’re a beginner, the Glarks spokeshave is the best one for you. It has a 45mm blade and the double handles make it easy to control. It even comes with 2 extra blades so you won’t run out and have to dash to the hardware store.
- Double handles
- Comes with replacement blades
- Great for beginners
- Two adjustment screws
What We Like About the Glarks 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
We always love when things come in pairs since it becomes more affordable than the standard one-piece spokeshave while maintaining outstanding quality.
This one is resistant to corrosion thanks to the epoxy coating. The handles are also contoured nicely to improve comfort and flexibility. You’ll always have an enjoyable experience using it.
What We Don’t Like About the Glarks 2 PCS 10″ Adjustable Spokeshave w/ Flat Base
Once we’ve finished a project, the last thing we want to do is maintain the blade on our spokeshave. However, you have to do so with this model otherwise it’ll deteriorate pretty quickly.
- It’s made from high-quality, strong materials
- The blades are extremely hard and sharp
- It comes with replacement blades
- It’s great for beginners
- The two adjustment screws are easy to use
- The blades are risky to touch since they are so sharp
- You have to be prepared to perform care after use
The Final Verdict
The Robert Larson round bottom spokeshave is the best one if you’re looking to make thin cuts only. However, if you’re a beginner, we’d recommend going for the Anndason set and if you’re just wanting a great all-rounder the Stanley 12-951 is the way to go.
As you can tell, the best option for you depends on your wants and needs. But, one of these will be your perfect match, we can assure you!