Top 5 Best Rotary Tools Reviewed
Rotary tools are perfectly sized and will make an excellent addition to your arsenal of tools. Anyone will benefit from having one of these, purely because it lets you do so many things. These tools come with multiple attachments that let you chop and change the functions. You have polishing attachments, sanding, drilling, cutting – and many more.
Consequently, it’s a helpful tool for any DIYer that needs assistance with tasks around the house. Likewise, hobbyists will enjoy a quality rotary tool to help with anything from wood cutting to metal engraving. Even professional tradesmen will benefit from carrying one of these tools around with them.
So, how do you find the best rotary tool? Read through the five reviews in this guide, and you’ll have some excellent options to choose from. But first, please bear in mind that rotary tools are used for small-scale projects. If you need something to help with larger-scale things, then you should buy specific power tools for those jobs instead!
Now, onto the reviews…
Best Rotary Tools
1. Dremel 4300
The Dremel 4300 certainly gives you a lot of versatility. There are a whopping 40 different attachments to choose from, each of which is ideal for various projects. Mainly, they’re separated into six categories; carving/engraving, cutting, grinding/sharpening, cleaning/polishing, sanding and miscellaneous. So, you are definitely spoilt for choice, and you will surely find a use for this rotary tool on many occasions.
What’s powering this tool? Well, that’ll be the 1.8 amp motor that works at various speeds. You can alter the speed from 5,000 to 35,000 RMP – it depends on which attachments you’re using and how powerful you need the tool to be. While the motor is the most powerful one Dremel offers, it’s surprisingly quiet. This works in your favor as you don’t have to cover your ears when you’re using it!
The entire tool is very well-built, and it feels sturdy in your hands. You get a sense that it won’t break easily, and you’d need to really put it through the wringer before it shows signs of wear. But, there are a couple of little things here and there that really catch the eye. Firstly, the universal 3-jaw chuck makes it easy to remove the attachments and put new ones in. Plus, it also means this rotary tool can be used with any Dremel rotary tool attachments – so you can expand your existing pool beyond 40! The other design feature that’s really impressive is the pivot light above the attachment area. It shines down while you work, so you always get exceptional visibility.
The Dremel 4300 is what you’d call a ‘jack of all trades’. The multiple attachments mean it handles all kinds of jobs with zero fuss. If you require this level of versatility, then it could suit you.
- PREMIUM ROTARY TOOL KIT- includes 4300 high performance rotary tool, 5 attachments, 40 high-quality Dremel accessories, and plastic storage case.
- HIGH POWERED MOTOR – Our most powerful motor delivers maximum performance even in the most demanding applications.
- VARIABLE SPEED - 5, 000 – 35, 000 RPM with electronic feedback for consistent performance & accurate tool control
- UNIVERSAL 3-JAW CHUCK – allows the use of ALL Dremel accessory shank sizes making it compatible with the entire line of our high-quality accessories.
- PIVOT LIGHT – rotates to illuminate your projects even in difficult to reach spaces
2. DEWALT DW660
DeWALT is a leading manufacturer of high-quality power tools for many situations. If you’re looking for the best rotary tool, then the DW660 should be on your radar. As you’d expect from a DeWALT product, the design is exceptional. It fits comfortably in your hand, and you just press down on the button to use it. The body is so slim, and it feels like you get such a high accuracy when you use the various cutting attachments.
That’s a pivotal point to make; the DW660 is a rotary cutter. You can interchange between different cutting heads for various materials or applications, but it can only be used to cut or engrave. So, you won’t be using it as a sander or polisher, etc. But, this doesn’t matter as it is so good at what it does. You won’t find a more accurate rotary tool cutter out there, purely because DeWALT has focused on creating something that cuts cleanly and quickly. The 5 AMP motor is one of the reasons you get so much power and the 30,000 RPM certainly help as well!
This product is built with longevity in mind, which is why there’s a dust-sealed operating switch. When you spend a lot of time cutting through materials – particularly wood – you generate a lot of dust. So, the switch is sealed to prevent any dust build-up, meaning the rotary tool lasts longer.
Is this an option if you’re looking for a rotary tool that has many attachments and functions? No. But, if you want something purely to help with cutting and engraving, then you’ll struggle to match the DW660.
- DW660 Includes:1 drywall cutting bit and 1/4", 1/8" collets
- Turn on/bump off switch allows user to easily shut tool off
- 5 amp, 30,000 rpm Motor provides more cutting Power
- Slim body Design for less fatigue over prolonged use
- Dust sealed switch protects against dust ingestion for longer switch life
Black & Decker is another big name in the power tools industry, and the RTX-6 could be a fine addition to your toolkit. You get 27 attachment accessories, along with 2 clamps, which means you have a lot of uses here. The attachments can be used for sanding, grinding, carving, polishing – pretty much anything you can think of. So, that’s excellent value for money right there. Black & Decker have also equipped this with their exclusive Flip-Lock system. All you have to do is slide a switch, flip the lock, and the attachment comes away. Then, put the new one in place and do the reverse. It’s so easy; you don’t need any experience to do it.
When it comes to the motor, the RTX-6 boasts a lot of power for a small rotary tool. It’s 2 AMPs, and there’s plenty of torque to give a max RPM of 30,000. But, here’s the cool thing; you can set it at three different speeds. If 30,000 is too much, then drop it down to 24,000 – or even 12,000. The adjustability allows you to take more control over your projects and find a speed that suits each specific attachment.
Something else to enjoy is the universal collet system. Essentially, this rotary tool can fit pretty much any standard rotary attachments. So, you can buy more, and they’ll lock in with ease. Lastly, it comes with a beautiful soft bag with room for the accessories, which is handy for storage and carrying.
With a powerful motor, three speed settings, and a range of capabilities, the RTX-6 is a brilliant product if you need a rotary tool for all occasions.
- Rotary tool includes 27 accessories to perform wide variety of tasks
- 2 Amp, high torque motor provides superior power
- 3 adjustable speeds (12,000/24,000/30,000 RPM) for precision work
- Flip-Lock system makes for quick and easy accessory change outs
- 2-year warranty
When it comes to value for money, this might be the best rotary tool for its price. It’s highly affordable, and the GOXAWEE Rotary Tool Kit comes with 140 different pieces. The majority of these are different attachments that let you get the most out of this powerful tool. It has spanners, carbon brushes, diamond burrs, cutting disks, polishing compounds, resin cutters, sanding drums, abrasive stone – the list literally goes on and on. Not only that, but a lot of the attachments come with spares. You don’t see that very often, so it’s a massive advantage for this product.
There’s a 1.3 AMP motor powering this lightweight tool, and it has five variable speed settings as well. You can choose from a range of speeds that start at 8000 RPM and go all the way up to 30,000. Being able to change speeds is particularly handy for precise projects that need the utmost accuracy. So, you’ll be pleased to know that this rotary tool has a flexible shaft that makes it feel like a pen when you need to be precise. This really comes in handy if you’re doing any engraving or polishing!
The accessories that come with the kit are so useful too. If you need assistance when using any of the cutters, then it has a cutting guide. To prevent any blowback from dust, there’s a transparent shield. It’s like they’ve thought of everything, and this is definitely the most complete kit on this list so far. If you’re looking to by an entry-level rotary tool that gives you everything you need in one package, then this is one to make a note of.
- ★ Quick Change Drill Chuck - Come with 3 Jaw Universal Chuck applying better stability on your projects, allows you to quickly and easily change accessories on Rotary machine tool freely. GOXAWEE Multi Chuck accepts accessories from 1/64” to 1/8” shank, wider compatible than others. Ideal when the application requires numerous accessory changes.
- ★ 140pcs Attachment & Accessory - Flexible Shaft holds like a pen for your precise projects. Cover Shield provide better protection for cutting and grinding. Drill Locator helps for precision work on wood. Diamond Cutting Wheel is the best tips for glass, ceramic, floor tile etc. Versatile accessories include a pair of extra carbon brush, rescue you from searching new set and saving money.
- ★ Variable Speed & Compact - Variable speed dial is easy to use. The Variable Speed Adjustment Knob showing 5 Step Speeds from 8,000 to 30,000 RPM. By adjusting the speed you can make delicate engravings on wood, glass, metals, plastics, tile and other materials with control easily. Its ergonomic compact rotary tool design makes it handhold size, lightweight, not make the loud noise.
- ★ High-Performance Craft Tool - Perfect for sanding, polishing, cutting, shaping, drilling, deburring, grinding, cleaning, engraving, trimming etc, and enabling you to achieve different crafting work efficiently. Whether you are repairing home tasks or lighting your creations, this is really a worth value investment.
- ★ Amazing Gift for DIY Enthusiasts - Packed in a solid carrying case. It’s more solid, falling resistant and moisture-proof. Machine and accessories are well organized in, easy to place, light weight, portable for carrying. GOXAWEE Rotary Toolkit G4007 is great for the DIY craft and small family projects. It’s also the gift for the people who are keen on handmade stuff.
Last, but by no means least, we have another jampacked rotary tool kit to look at. The WEN 2305 has 100 hundred accessories, most of which are attachments for the tool itself. Again, you have pretty much the full range of pieces to choose from here. So, it’s already looking like a possible option for professionals or hobbyists that use loads of different tools on a regular basis.
There’s a tidy little electric motor inside that gives you variable speeds from 8,000 to 30,000 RPM, which is around about the industry standard based on the other reviews. This motor gives it a little bit of much-needed weight because the rest of the tool is very light. Thankfully, it ends up striking the perfect balance and comfortably sits in your hand when you use it. Talking about usability, the speeds are adjusted with a little knob that you turn at your leisure. It’s also a simple case of pressing down on a button when you want to use the tool, then releasing when you’re done.
You can do a lot with this rotary tool, but it’s definitely best when used on intricate designs and precise projects. It works amazingly well when engraving on different materials, and you get so much control when you use it. So, if you’re after a versatile rotary tool for some very intricate jobs, then this one may tick all the right boxes for you.
- Perfect for cutting, sanding, polishing, shaping, drilling, deburring, grinding and more
- Variable speed goes anywhere from 8,000 to 30,000 RPM
- Includes a 100-piece accessory set of bits, sanding discs, polishing pads, mandrels and more
- Onboard spindle lock makes for quick and easy bit changes. 2.3mm & 3.2mm collets
- Attach the included flex shaft for jobs requiring intricate detail and precision
How To Use A Rotary Tool
Here is a great YouTube video that demonstrates how to use a rotary tool:
Last Updated on