The Top 5 Pruning Shears Reviewed
Homeowner, green-fingered gardeners, and professional horticulturists all need a good pair of pruning shears, but finding the best ones on the market isn’t always easy. If you’re just starting out or you’ve already been through more shears that you can count, it’s time to try something different.
Whether you’re sculpting hedges, pruning roses or scaling back begonias, having a robust and long-lasting pair of shears is a must. However, there’s no point having shears that last forever if they don’t get the job done right. With the right mix of quality, durability, and comfort, however, you’ll find pruning shears that will serve you well.
With hundreds of shears to choose from, whittling down your choice can be tricky. To take the hard work out of finding the best pruning shears, take a look at the selection below…
Best Pruning Shears
If you’re an experienced gardener or professional landscapers, you’re probably already familiar with the Fiskars brand. Known for their high-quality and long-lasting tools, you can rely on Fiskars to deliver the best pruning shears. The Fiskars 91095935J are steel bypass pruning shears, so they’re strong enough to use on even the toughest twigs and stems.
Featuring a precision-ground, hardened steel blade, you’ll find that the Fiskars 91095935J stay sharp for a very long time, even if they’re put to use regularly. Handling twigs and branches up to 5/8” in diameter, you’ll be able to use these shears on a variety of plants, shrubs, hedges, and trees. For small, handheld shears, there’s certainly capable of more than you’d expect.
The beveled, cambered blade, constructed from non-stick carbon, cuts through material easily, so you won’t have to struggle to make a cut. Furthermore, having a low-friction coating on the blade means you’ll glide through wood without damaging the blade. Designed to stop debris or sap adhering to the blade, the non-stick coating prevents the shears from becoming gummy and also stops rot setting in.
The Fiskars 91095935J is tough enough to handle both residential gardening and professional landscaping, and at just over 10oz, they’re lightweight enough to use for long periods of time. What’s more – the non-slip grips ensure that the Fiskars 91095935J are comfortable and safe to use in any environment.
- Ideal for cutting stems and light branches. Easy-open lock protects the blade during transport and storage
- Fully hardened, precision-ground steel blade stays sharp, even through heavy use
- Low-friction coating helps blade glide through wood, prevents the blades from gumming up with sap and debris and helps the blades resist rust
- Maximum cutting capacity: 5/8 inch diamater
- Lifetime warranty
Beloved by gardeners, the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears are one of the most popular gardening tools available. With many users adamant that they’re the best pruning shears available, you’re sure to be impressed by what they can offer.
With titanium-coated steel blades, honed with ultra-fine polishing, the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears are sharp enough to deal with tree branches up to 3/4“ in diameter, so there isn’t much these shears can’t handle. Furthermore, their sap-proof design ensures sap runs off of the blades and prevents sticking, so they’re easy to use and don’t require intensive cleaning whilst you’re in the middle of tending your garden.
As bypass shears, the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears work well when cutting live plants, as the curved blade makes the perfect cut against strong stems. A drop forged body and handles ensure the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears is robust and durable, yet its lightweight construction ensures they are easy-to-use and comfortable. Constructed from aluminum and wrapped in PVC, the body is protected from the elements too. With comfortable, non-slip grips and a weight of just 4ozs, you can use the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears comfortable for as long as you need to. However, the precision blade and strength of the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears makes light work of any gardening task. One of the best pruning shears on the market, the gonicc 8” Pruning Shears will suit amateur gardeners and professional horticulturists alike.
- Drop forged body and handles.
- Quality blade made of Premium Titanium steel with Ultra-fine Polishing Technology.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sap groove design to help keep pruning shears from sticking by channeling off sap.
- Pruners can cut up to 3/4" diameter size tree branches.This may vary depending on tree species.
If you’re looking for pruning shears with an anvil blade, the Felco F-2 Classic might be just what you need. Complete with a sap-proof groove, the Felco F-2 Classic ensures your shears won’t get sticky or gummed up with repeated use. Whilst the anvil blade is more suited for use on dry twigs and dead foliage, many people regularly use the Felco F-2 Classic shears on live stems too.
With a hardened nut and bolt, the Felco F-2 Classic shears are easy to adjust, so you can ensure that the anvil blades are well-placed for any job. In addition to this, the Felco F-2 Classic feature a shock absorber and rubber cushion, which minimizes the strain when you’re pruning back shrubs or cutting twigs.
The Felco F-2 Classic shears have lightweight metal handles, although they do have a non-slip coating for comfort and extra safety. Along with hardened steel blades for extra cutting force, the Felco F-2 Classic may be the best pruning shears for smaller jobs. Whilst its cutting capacity of 1” diameters isn’t as large as some other shears on the market, it is a high-quality option for thinner twigs and stems. With an added wire cutting notch, you can use the Felco F-2 Classic shears to trim or cut wires too, so it’s a versatile tool for homeowners and keen gardeners.
At a weight of 8.8ozs, these aren’t the lightest pruning shears you’ll come across, but this doesn’t detract from their functionality. Perfect for cutting perennials and roses, anvil blades can cut through woody or hardened twigs with ease, so you won’t find yourself twisting or tearing twigs as you struggle to cut through them.
Priced at around $50, they are a little on the expensive side, particularly when compared to other pruning shears available. However, the Felco F-2 Classic shears are designed to last, and with the right care, you could be using them for years to come.
- Anvil blade with a sap groove
- A hardened bolt and nut to assure exact adjustment of both the cutting and anvil blades
- Rubber cushion and shock absorber
- Ideal pruner for light applications and easily adjustable
- Features strong blades with a wire cutting notch
Designed for heavy-duty use, Mockins Pruning Shears can be found in gardens, greenhouses, and sheds all over the country. Often used by professional landscapers and gardeners, Mockins Pruning Shears can be used on flowers, shrubs and tree branches. Featuring stainless steel blades, these shears are robust enough to cut through a variety of materials, including twigs and stems, although they don’t feature the coatings that you might come to expect from other manufacturers and models.
As with all anvil pruning shears, the Mockins Pruning Shears are best suited to cutting woody plants, like rose bushes. Whilst bypass shears are often preferred for cutting live stems, many users find that the Mockins Pruning Shears work well on both hardier twigs and green stems. The Mockins Pruning Shears do feature a grooved bottom blade, which makes it easy to line up your cuts and keep your shears steady as you prepare to trim back shrubs, plants, and bushes.
With a safety lock and comfortable rubber handles, the Mockins Pruning Shears are easy-to-use and store. The spring-loaded feature ensures your shears are ready to use again after each cut, so you won’t waste time trying to prize the blades apart or wiping them clean of sap. Perfect for first-time gardeners, as well as more experienced landscapers, you’ll find endless uses for the Mockins Pruning Shears.
Available for around $10, the Mockins Pruning Shears are the ultimate budget-friendly shears and a must-have garden tool. Whether you plan on using them as all-purpose secateurs or want them to prune back dry twigs and small branches, the Mockins Pruning Shears won’t disappoint.
- PROFESSIONAL PRUNERS are recommended by gardeners and first time users. The garden clippers are Ideal for plants , flowers and bushes or herb scissors This is great gardening tools and is a must have clipper to add to your gardening tool set .
- SAFETY LOCK The branch cutter designed with you in mind. Easy to use for garden tools especially for small hands and has a safety lock when not in use.
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADES -for an effortless clean cut the garden shears are made with high quality stainless steel for easy pruning and an east tree trimmer .
- ERGONOMIC RUBBER HANDLES -mockins garden clippers are made for a pain free gardening experience with comfort and ease. Say goodbye to arthritic pain!
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: LIFETIME WARRANTY OR FULL REFUND - Our customers are our number 1 priority. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us and we will resolve any issues you may have. Snip with a smile!
Spring-loaded and featuring precision-sharpened steel blades, the VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner is a great tool for professional or home use. Straight blades ensure they can handle twigs, roses, and bushes, as well as an array of plants, whilst their micro tips ensure you can make accurate and precise cuts.
At just over 3ozs, the VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner is one of the lightest options on the market, and they’re easy-to-use too. VIVOSUN have designed this pruner to ensure that they reduce hand strain, so you won’t tire after using them. Ideal for people who enjoy spending long periods of time in the garden, or those who find pruning difficult due to arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome, the VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner is designed to minimize hand fatigue.
Lightweight and versatile, the VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner is perfect for trimming and cutting, particularly if want to make precision cuts without inadvertently damaging other areas of the plant. Its micro tips ensure complete accuracy when you’re pruning or deadheading, so you can tend plants of any size without trimming more than you intended to.
Whether you’re trimming weeds, cutting back your roses, tending a vegetable patch or trimming leaves from fruit, the VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner will be your go-to gardening tool. With a reliable sideways locking mechanism, you can keep your VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner closed and locked when not in use, so a great option for increased safety too.
At a price of around $6, the VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner is hard to beat, and, when it comes to quality, precision and price, they’re certainly one of the best pruning shears on the market.
- REDUCE HAND STRAIN: These micro tip snips are built spring-loaded so that they automatically push themselves open without you having to do the work which greatly reduces hand fatigue making these snips great for those with arthritis, carpal tunnel, hand or wrist issues. Comfort Grip handles will make it easy to work for long periods of time without discomfort
- ULTRA SHARP BLADES: These quality snips come with stainless steel precision-sharpened blades and are ready to tackle all of your deadheading, trimming, and shaping needs for your roses, annuals, vegetable, bonsai and small flower gardens
- SECURE, EASY TO OPERATE LOCK: These micro tip snips feature a safe and secure sideways locking mechanism that keeps your blades protected and closed when not in use. The design of these pruning snips are perfect to use whether you are right or left handed with ease
- MAKE PRECISE CUTS: With these micro tip snips, you can easily get between plants to "clip and snip" only the area or part that you want to cut with one-hand and without damaging the other vital stems and branches of your other plants.Care: Clean blades after each use
- What You Get: VIVOSUN Precision Pruner and our friendly customer service
Choosing Pruning Shears
Here is a YouTube video explaining how to choose pruning shears and loppers:
Last Updated on