If you’re a contractor, carpenter, professional handyman or DIYer, then you need to know the importance behind the tools that you use for your work. It can sometimes be a huge hassle to go through several different tools just to get one job done.
If you’ve been doing some research then you may have already heard about the oscillating tool. But what exactly is an oscillating tool? It is an extremely versatile, compact piece of machinery that can be used for a wide range of DIY ploys. It helps you to discard the requirement of independent tools for each task. It is also sometimes referred to as a multi-tool.
Whether trimming door jambs for flooring installation, taking up carpeting or flooring, trimming cabinets for installation, chiseling out door hinges or removing old caulking paint or glue an oscillating tool will do the job.
Which oscillating tool is the best, and will ensure you do the job you need to the best standard? We’ve done the work for you, have a look below at some of the best oscillating tools available on the market now:
This brushless oscillating multi-tool features updated software and a brand new 3-speed control at its base, and it also still provides a variable speed trigger. The new 3-speed controllers enable users to limit the maximum speed of the oscillating multi-tool without the need to maintain constant pressure on the variable speed trigger. This means that this new model still allows you to adjust the sanding, cutting, scraping, or grinding speeds to your liking.
With this tool, you will get 28 oscillating multi-tool pieces that will enable you to complete a huge range of tasks. Some have been a little confused over the release of a newer model, however, it has become clear that it is intended to offer a step-up for users who require a little more speed as well as the 3-speed functionality, which has been proven to be very useful.
Perhaps Dewalt could have updated this model further than just the software and the 3-speed control, or maybe they’re leaving room for improvement in the future? Either way, this is definitely a brand to keep your eye if you’re someone who likes to keep their tools up to date and fresh.
- The 3-speed selector allows users to choose their speed setting based on application.
- Brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed
- Dual-grip variable speed trigger gives users ultimate speed and application control
- Universal accessory adapter for use with most oscillating tool accessory brands
- Quick-change accessory system allows blades and attachments to be changed quickly without wrenches
This Oscillating multi-tool delivers power and speed for the users for a range of different tasks, ranging from cutting nails, cutting plywood, notching hardwood, to sanding. The Makita XMT03Z really performs well in all areas and is very quiet. However, because it is on the bulky side it’s a little difficult to reach some of the hard-to-reach spots. It can also be a little heavier than other multi-tools on the market, so you start to feel the weight when using it for longer periods of time.
- 18V LXT Lithium Ion battery provides upto 20 minutes of continuous run time
- Variable speed control dial (6, 000 to 20, 000 OPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- 3.2 Degree oscillation angle engineered for faster, more aggressive cutting and sanding
- Large on/off slide switch with lock on button for operator convenience
- Tool less clamp system for fast accessory installation
The MM50 has updated the blade change mechanism and also has a much more powerful motor, a more compact head for those tighter spaces, and an angled design for improved ergonomics. The popular Dremel blade design that has become popular with DIYers because of their good quality, value pricing, wide availability, and large selection has stuck around. And, why would you change something that is already so popular?
- The Dremel MM50 has a robust design that provides low vibration operation giving you better control for precise and clean cuts
- With a compact head that is 30% smaller than other tools in its Class, The MM50 allows you to get into tight hard-to-reach spaces that others won’t fit
- Exclusive And unique angled body design delivers a much improved experience, especially during flush cuts: you have better control and more room for your hands under the tool
- Powerful 5. 0 amp motor, highest in its Class, delivers Pro performance to get the toughest jobs done, such as cutting door jambs, trim, baseboards or any other restoration related project
- Tool-less blade change system allows you to change Accessories by simply twisting the knob, Pushing it down and inserting accessory
This is another great oscillating tool for smaller spaces, however, some people have expressed that they have found that the grip on the handle is a little bulky, but is good for no use of gloves. If you’re looking for an oscillating tool that is perfect for the small tasks around your home, the Craftsman V20 is a great option, some people have said that the battery life isn’t the best, however, it’s packed with power and it makes short work with the shorter tasks and minimizes the time needed to complete manual work.
This good-value tool is certainly built with its users in mind. It’s an oscillating tool that is definitely aimed at those who want o complete some DIY at home, for some of the more demanding jobs you may need to have something with a little more oomph.
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- Oscillating tool with variable speed from 8K to 18K opm's provides optimal control in various applications
- 14 piece kit includes tool, battery, charger, storage bag, and multiple accessory attachments
- Tool-free universal attachment System makes change Accessories quick and easy
- Led work light provides improved visibility
Because it only weighs 3.6 pounds, using this oscillating tool for extended periods of time doesn’t cause cramps, and that’s definitely something to praise. As well as this, the unit’s 3-position over-mold grip helps to reduce vibrations and increase the overall comfort of use.
One of the best features in the tool-free system for connecting and changing accessories. It’s quick and fluent, just what you want in a multi-tool like this. The model also features an integrated LED work light, which comes in handy when using the multi-tool in poor lighting and dark corners.
This oscillating tool is highly efficient with 8,000 to 18,000 oscillations per minute, it will certainly get the job done fast. However, if you have any high demanding projects, this tool might not be the right one for you. It’ definitely more aimed towards homeowners who are completing home DIY. If you’re looking for a tool to help complete tasks such as sanding, cutting, grinding and scraping this is of the most versatile power tools available. It’s definitely great value for money.
Ok, so this tool isn’t the most powerful but it’s uncountable that’s it’s one of the best oscillating tools out there for its price point. The fact that there is a model that is well-designed, efficient as well as affordable deserves to be recognized. With a solid design, it feels good in your hand, prevents slipping, and illuminates surfaces.
Porter-Cable made this tool with smaller projects in mind, heavy-duty tasks are not ideal. Some users report that it can be quite noisy, so, it might be worth thinking about wearing ear protection when using it.
- 2 Finger TOOL-FREE SYSTEM makes adjusting and changing accessories quick and easy
- LED work light
- 11 Accessories Included; Part of the 20V Max System
- 1 Nonstandard Battery battery required
When looking for the best oscillating tool it’s important to think about the intended use. Are you looking for an oscil