No matter if you’re a hobbyist DIY practitioner, or a professional working in various construction fields, the importance of relying on good tools is an essential component of staying productive. Perhaps one of the hallmark and most foundational tools to own is the humble tape measure. It is almost impossible to adequately progress in any construction effort without accurately measuring your next task. The old adage of the expert carpenter needing to measure twice and cut once is of crucial importance to any trade of practice of this nature.
Yet while other technological revolutions have occured in many areas of the professional’s toolbox, fortunately most focused on health and safety, simple and reliable tools such as measuring tape have undergone little development. At least, that’s how it can seem. However, we’re pleased to say that this is actually far from the truth. While keeping a basic retractable measuring tape in your inventory can be a good idea, there are a range of innovative and excellent laser measuring tools taking the market by storm, and for good reason. As with any technological development of note, enhanced convenience, practicality, ease of use and accuracy will justify the innovative effort. Professionals are intelligent. They understand when a tool is suited to the task.
For that reason, we have reviewed five of the best laser measuring tools you may wish to use in your own trade or for your own personal projects. This way you too can make use of the very many worthwhile adjustments and refinements made to this most fundamental of toolbox items.
Known for its range and the functionality of the associated smartphone app detailing said measurements, the Leica DISTO D2 is a strong entry in the family of DISTO products. While bright light can sometimes prove an issue for laser measuring tools, the Leica DISTO D2 is known for its strong feasibility of use in almost all ambient light levels aside from direct sunlight. This means for interior work and most exterior construction jobs, this product should perform well, yet always consider the particulars of the project you hope to apply it to.
Two apps are available, first Leica’s propetairy Disto Sketch app or MagicPlan service with a repeating subscription. Some ergonomic adjustments have been made, such as replacing the prior flip-up bottom plate from a metal to plastic substance., This increases the ease in which you can handle the product and also its lightness. This is further found in the attaching clip and included case, giving mobile workers a means to attach said product on their person, no matter the physical hardships of the day. For many of us, ensuring the horror of tool loss or theft is of paramount importance.
While the Leica DISTO D2 is the most expensive item on this list, it dutifully justifies the asking price via a whole host of improvements, such as in offering more than 50% extra range compared to the previous model. Additionally, the bluetooth integration ensures that no matter what management workflow you are operating with, consistent, live updates to your measurement recordings can save you plenty of time on the job. For these reasons, the Leica DISTO D2 with Bluetooth 4.0 functionality is a fine addition to any workman’s toolbox.
- This unit contains a Class II Laser with 1mW output
- 1/16" accuracy and up to 330 foot measuring range. Measuring units-0.000 m, 0.00 ft, 0'00" 1/16, 0 in 1/16. Measurements per set of batteries-up to 10000
- Bluetooth 4.0 for transferring measurements into desired software
- Last 10 measurement memory, Dimensions : 116 x 44 x 26 mm / 4.57 x 1.73 x 1.02 in
- Pythagoras function for indirect height or width measurements. Operating temperature range:14°F to 122°F / -10°C to 50°C.Protection class:IP 54, dust & splash protected
One of the more popular models of laser measuring tool thanks to its accuracy, convenience and price, the Bosch Blaze Pro 165’ is considered valuable for those needing to equip an entire team or to use as a beginner’s tool. Reflected in the price is a lack of bluetooth or camera support, but this is unnecessary for a large number of readings, and in no way affects the accuracy of the model. Also, thanks to the small size, this model is ideal for providing clients with quick quotes for potential contracting work.
The backlight is strong and though this does not provide functionality in bright light levels, the product is more than usable on overcast days and for all interior work. The product comes with a useful strap for flexible attachment for many tool belts, but larger tool belts may not hold it as well without modification. Additionally, the compact carry case should ensure the already-robust item is not damaged in transit. The buttons are easily used and provide a legible form factor that you can rely on. Overall, the Bosch Blaze Pro sits comfortable among their other laser measuring products, and would serve any hobbyist or professional well.
- ACCURACY: This fully featured and powerful laser measurer features long range measuring with extreme accuracy and measures distances up to 165 feet to within 1/16 inch, for professional confidence
- EASY-TO-USE: Simple, easy to use one button operation starts by pressing button once to begin measuring; The GLM165 40 is compact enough to fit in any pocket; Features a backlit color display that allows measurements to be easily read, even in dark areas
- CONVENIENT: Provides default real time measurement that adjusts as you move closer and farther from target, just like a tape measure, plus it has 10 measurement memory to keep track of distances
- AUTO SQUARE: The Bosch GLM165 40 laser measure includes auto square function to automatically calculate square footage with the push of a button, allowing for fast and correct estimates for material sourcing
- DURABLE: This robust Laser distance measure is IP54 rated to withstand tough jobsite conditions such as rain or dust, for reliable service and secure confidence
To start with, it’s certainly nice to see a workman’s tool that comes with its own set of AA batteries. Preamble aside, the Tacklife HD60 has proven to be one of the most celebrated products on this list, for a variety of reasons. Many classic laser measurements offer one level bubble to ensure you are afforded an accurate level measurement, the Tacklife comes with two. This effectively doubles your level accuracy, at least in the perceived user experience on the behalf of the professional. This, coupled with excellent self-calibration modules allows you to gain a clear and consistent reading each time.
The model holds an attractive screen with backlit readings (although these digits are slightly smaller than some other models). Additionally, the inclusion of waterproof and dustproof protections allows for the Tacklife to be used well in opporessive construction conditions, although of course we cannot expect for a laser measuring tool to function perfectly in rain or when covered in dust, as survivability does not translate to laser accuracy in those moments.
Additionally, the Tacklife is arguably the most attractive-looking item on this list, as its sleek, modernized design is sure to take pride of place in any tool inventory. Overall, the Tacklife is an excellent laser measuring tool no matter if you are a hobbyist or expert user.
- 【HIGHER ACCURACY】 - With unique 2 Bubble Levels, providing more precise measurement compared to one bubble; Accuracy:±1/16 inch; Measuring range ups to 196 feet to meet your regular measuring need; Hold the U button 2s to switch unit among M/In/Ft freely
- 【BETTER OPERATION】 - Handy and compact mode provide good operating feeling; Supplied durable carrying pouch keeps the laser meter off dust; It also for easy carry and hold everywhere; Large LCD with back light supports better visibility in low-light conditions
- 【VARIOUS SETTINGS】 - Automatic calculation of area and volume; 30 groups data memory; Manually delete data; 6 units for selection; Calibration; Addition and subtraction; Automatic shutdown without operation 150s; Max&Min values measurement; Assures you a easy and quick measurement to improve working efficiency
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】 - With multiple measurement modes like distance, volume, area measurement, continuous measurement and measurement by Pythagoras, the laser level is ideal for home, construction and industries, especially in large areas such as rooms, apartments, buildings, real estates, factories, warehouses, etc
- 【PACKAGE CONTENTS】 - Tacklife HD60 Laser Measuring Device 196Ft; AAA Batteries; User Manual; Portable Bag; Hand Strap; Package Box; 24 Months Service (Ideal thanksgiving gifts and christmas gifts for family and friends)
Grouped with the more visually striking models on this list (at a fraction of the price), the DBPOWER Digital Laser Measure offers tactile buttons, a highly readable screen, a min-max measurement mode offering a range of measurement analysis functions, and 60 metres of range.
Something we haven’t mentioned so far is that while working on complex projects, noting down measurements and keeping settings standardized for a variety of uses is important for the professional to keep track of everything. The DBPower DLM works well in this capacity, offering up to 20 data points to help you keep track of your measurement metrics. For most people this will provide a large degree of versatility and accuracy while moving from task to task. The AAA battery setup is not always as long-lasting as other digital laser measures, but should give you more than enough charge for many hours of use, just be sure you have spares to hand should you need them.
The DBPower is the cheapest model featured in this list, and for the accuracy, variance of measurement options, solid build, and well laid out instructions, this could be an ideal model useful as a backup tool to keep in the work van, or if needing to train with a laser measurement tool to increase your familiarity with said products, eventually moving on to more advanced alternatives. Yet if this were to become your default product of use, you’ll hardly suffer, as the laser is pin-point accurate and more than worth your time to utilize.
- ▲Full feature offering includes area, distance, length, volume, continuous measurement, addition and subtraction, Pythagorean method-three points. Measuring distance extends to 197 feet.
- ▲Activate the laser and watch the measurements move in real time as you move closer and farther from the target, just like a tape measure. Hold the measurement by pressing the measure button again.
- ▲The minimum/maximum measurement mode comes in handy when evaluating the shortest and longest distances from a fixed point, making it ideal for use when measuring plumb lines (minimum) and diagonals (maximum)!
- ▲Backlight for increased visibility in low-light conditions. Fits comfortably in hand and easily in pocket. 3 AAA batteries required (trial batteries included, best with Polaroid AAA batteries)
- ▲Extreme accuracy, measures to within 1/13".
While marginally more expensive than the DBPower, the DTape 328 Digital Laser Tape Measure is nowhere near held back by its competitive pricing and entry-level status. In fact, DTAPE have emphasized function over form while still ensuring you are more than provided for in both categories. Also offering 20 data memory storage options, you can be sure said measurements are protected thanks to the IPS4 waterproof level and dust protections.
Ideal for large rooms thanks to its 328 feet range, the DTape model is more than suitable for a range of domestic projects and is a strong tool to have when renovating or constructing an addition to your house, as mis-measurements can often lead to expensive mistakes. Additionally, the ease in which you can select between different measurement conversion rates should make this model serve as a legible tool no matter if you use metric or imperial measurements. The DTape unit is small and easy to use with one hand, allowing you to also fit this into your pocket as you work throughout the day.