Every professional contractor or hobbyist has a drill in their toolbox to help them carry out basic to advanced projects. Many times, a right-angle drill is needed for those hard to reach spaces that regular drills can’t get to. A right-angle drill has a head that sits at a 90-degree angle making it easy to put a hole in smaller areas.
While this tool is essential to complete certain projects, like any other product currently on the market, cordless right angle drills need to be purchased with caution. Because of its specialized use, very few drills of this kind are versatile, however, this does not mean that all they are all the same. Actually, it’s quite the contrary.
After reviewing several units of drills varying in the brand, price, and use, we put together this list of the best right angle drills in 2018. We hope this buyers’ guide helps you narrow down your selection in deciding which one is right for you.
Cordless Right-Angle Drill Comparison Chart
The Makita AD02W 12V kit is composed of key features that make it worth buying. The design of this unit is very compact, weighing only 2.5 lbs. with the battery including. It’s perfect for getting into those tight, hard to reach spaces. Not to mention, it has a built-in LED light to illuminate your work area.
Further, the ergonomic barrel grip design and rubberized soft grip feature offer added comfort to the operator. Users don’t have to worry about arm or shoulder fatigue when using this small tool. Though it is very small and lightweight, it still offers plenty of power and battery life.
Makita AD02W Pros
- Very small, lightweight drill
- Rubberized grip offers increased comfort and support
- 3-year warranty on drill and 1-year warranty on batteries/charger
Makita AD02W Cons
- Its 12-volt capacity is a disadvantage for some professional jobs
- Makita-built motor delivers up to 100 in.lbs. of Max Torque
- Variable speed (0 - 800 RPM) for a wide range of drilling and driving applications
- Well balanced and ultra compact design at 12-1/4"" long; weighs only 2.5 lbs. (with battery)
- Compact 3-1/2"" angle head height for use in close quarters
- Ergonomic barrel grip design for added comfort
One of the top-rated models is DeWalt’s DCD740C1 because of its compactness, reliable, and safe solution. A great selection for individuals who don’t want to spend a fortune on a premium choice, they’ll still be receiving a trustworthy tool with this 20V drill.
All the way from its neat design to durable materials, this is an all-around great right-angle drill. Weighing 3.9 pounds, it is not the lightest option available but nonetheless this unit gives users stability and the right amount of vibrations to avoid arm fatigue. The main selling point of this model would have to be the battery which endures an entire day of drilling.
Additionally, this drill can be used with other DeWalt product batteries and the charger will recharge the battery in as little as 30 minutes. This is a great perk because it eliminates the need for an extra battery and won’t result in costly delays.
You may be wondering what the shortcomings of this drill are. Buyers have had an overall positive experience using this drill, but some will mention the weight of this unit. In comparison to other models, this right-angle drill is a bit heavier than the rest. While this is a disadvantage to some, users get used to the weight in a matter of minutes.
DEWALT DCD740C1 Pros
- The battery can handle an entire day of intense drilling
- Extreme functionality
- Designed with dual speed settings (rpms or torque)
DEWALT DCD740C1 Cons
- Heavier than most right-angle drills (8.25 lbs.)
- The chuck could be larger
- Dual speed ranges (0-600/0-2000) RPM for increased user flexibility provides a wide range of applications
- Compact front-to-back length (4 inches) allows users to fit into hard-to-reach spaces
- Multi-grip trigger provides comfort and convenience, allowing the user to get into tighter spaces
- Light weight at only 3.9 pounds to minimize user fatigue
- Powered by an Energy Star-qualified charger for a better environment
Bosch is a very well-known manufacturer who rarely lets users down when it comes down to power tools. The ADS181 18-Volt cordless right angle drill is an amazing tool for contractors and DIYers. The half inch ratcheting chuck is versatile, offering several choices within different applications. In fact, the chuck this model consists of is rated one of the best in its class.
This right-angle model has a very slim design with a soft grip. Not only are the ergonomic features remarkable, but it also comes with a gearbox to ensure a smooth operation and durability. Additionally, this unit has a built-in LED light, high-performance motor, and the ability to handle heavy-duty projects easily.
Bosch ADS181-102 Pros
- Affordable price
- The unit is compatible with every 18-volt Bosch battery
- Less noisy in comparison to other models
Bosch ADS181-102 Cons
- The hard case isn’t very sturdy; could use some improvements
- Best in Class Chuck Capacity: 1/2-Inch Ratcheting chuck provides for a maximum range of applications from drilling to driving
- Superior Ergonomics: Slim, soft grip provides maximum comfort and control in drilling and driving applications
- Compact Head Length: Designed to provide maximum drilling in close quarter applications
- Integrated LED White Light System: Provides maximum illumination of work area, reducing shadows
- Flexible Power System: Compatible with every Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion battery
One of the most affordable units currently on the market, the Milwaukee 2615 is a great selection for occasional users. If you are a professional contractor, this is not the right angle drill you’re looking for because it can be inconsistent. Made from hard plastic, this model does include some rubber in the design (still far from being premium quality).
The operator can choose between 11 settings to make it easier to drill or fasten in tight spaces. It has a built-in LED light and the multi-position handle offers some versatility. This drill does come with 1 1 CMPT battery, and it’s very inexpensive to purchase another if you want a spare. This drill is compatible with the entire M18 series of batteries.
Milwaukee 2615-20 Pros
- Great selection for DIYers
- 11 settings and modes to choose from
Milwaukee 2615-20 Cons
- Only 1 battery is included
- Not ideal for professionals
- Includes right angle drill, battery pack, charger, and carrying case
- Lightweight and compact design
- Features 11 settings plus drill mode
- Offers complete control in fastening applications
- 3-3/4-inch head length ideal for working in tight spaces, 3/8-inch single sleeve ratcheting chuck
Features of a Good Cordless Right-Angle Drill
Many times, consumers make the mistake of buying the first drill that catches their eye. While exterior looks are very important, there are other elements far more important such as price, intended use, or design. Basing your decision on the first one that grabs your attention leads to a costly