As the more maneuverable handheld cousin of the table saw, circular saws make light work of cutting through a variety of materials including wood, masonry, plastic, and metal, with the added benefit of also being more easily transportable. First invented towards the end of the 18th century as a means to cut lumber, the circular saw has come a long way, with modern varieties boasting infinitely more power and stronger, sharper blades meaning that they now make light work of cutting tougher materials.
In addition to being more powerful than ever, some circular saws are now also entirely cordless, removing the cumbersome tie of a lengthy wire making them more easy to transport and work with on a number of applications.
Whether you’re working on a commercial or domestic project, looking to replace an existing saw or purchasing one for the first time, it’s vital that you have a powerful tool that you can rely on so we’ve compiled this list of the best 5 cordless circular saws – so which make the cut?
Makita is widely considered one of the innovation leaders when it comes to wireless power tool technology and is a world-renown brand which is why the Makita XSH03Z cordless circular saw sits at the top of our recommendations list. The Makita XSH03Z 18V LXT® Lithium‑Ion Brushless Cordless 6‑1/2″ Circular Saw is a part of Makita’s growing range of 18V Lithium-Ion tools and combines both superior power and run time for improved productivity and efficiency.
Weighing in at 7.3lbs with the battery inserted this saw is one of the heavier cordless varieties but is still lightweight and ergonomic enough to help reduce operator fatigue and at just over 13 inches long, the saw fits neatly into even the smallest of tool storage spaces. With no cord in sight, the Makita XSH03Z is known to make light work of complex angles in which a cord would get in the way and is particularly popular with tradespeople who transport their tools on a daily basis to and from their place of work.
The Makita XSH03Z’s brushless motor delivers 5000 RPM making light work of ripping and cutting timber and with the option to purchase an additional dust collection port there’s no need to spend hours cleaning up the mess either. The Makita XSh03Z may not be the cheapest saw on this list but for a durable tool that’s built to last, it’s definitely one to consider investing in.
- Bl motor delivers 5,000 RPM for faster cutting and ripping
- Automatic speed change technology adjusts speed and torque during operation for optimum performance
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 13-3/4" Long
- Weighs only 7.3 lbs with battery (battery not included) for reduced operator fatigue
- Large cutting capacity (2-1/4" At 90 Degree) and bevel capacity (0 Degree- 50 Degree)
Coming in at number 2 the Milwaukee M18 2630-20 cordless circular saw is another top contender. This Lithium-Ion powered 6.5-inch circular saw is designed to provide powerful yet lightweight cutting for a variety of applications, including plumbing, electrical, framing, finishing and carpentry.
The electronic brake stops the saw’s cutting blade instantly at the end of each cut, so there’s no need to wait around while the blades finish spinning. With lightweight magnesium guards at both the top and bottom of the blade, the Milwaukee m18 2630-20 has been described by users as feeling ‘indestructible’ and is protected from significant bangs and knocks as well as drops from several feet. Despite its modest price tag, this cordless circular saw can still deliver the power it promises and with 3500 rpm it still slices through timber like butter.
The soft-grip handle, 8.5lb weight and small size of this saw make it effortlessly transportable and with just a 1 hour charge time this powerful tool can be up and ready to go by the time you’ve had your coffee break. As another more pricy saw on our list this saw makes a great investment for both domestic and commercial builders and is built to last.
- ELECTRONIC BRAKES will stop your blade quickly when you’re finished with your cut. You won’t need to waste time waiting around for the blade to slow down, so you can get back to work quickly
- SOFT GRIP HANDLE provides maximum comfort so you can work with precision in slippery environments
- BEVEL AND DEPTH ADJUSTMENT: You can adjust the depth up to 1 1/2" and the bevel up to 45 degrees, giving you a huge degree of versatility in your cuts
- MAGNESIUM GUARDS on the top and bottom of the blade well keep the unit protected from impacts like bumps and drops of several feet. This will allow you to work confident in the safety of your tool and yourself
- M18 COMPATIBLE: This cordless circular saw is compatible with Milwaukee M18 18 Volt Lithium Ion batteries. Compatible models include the 48-11-1860, 48-11-1850, 48-11-1828, 48-11-1815, 48-11-1840, and 48-11-1820
Up next is one of the more affordable products on this list, the Porter-Cable PCC660B 20V 6-1/2-inch cordless circular saw offering the functionality of some of the leading manufacturers at just a fraction of the cost. Offering 4000 RPM this saw may be affordable but that doesn’t mean it’s not mighty and it can make light work of a number of applications.
The Porter-Cable PCC660B’s 6.5inch carbide blade delivers a 2-1/8′ cutting capacity and can accommodate some of the more non-traditional cutting applications thanks to its bevelling shoes that can pivot up to 50 degrees. Weighing just 6.5lb thanks to its plastic housing, the saw is lightweight enough and easy to use for even the most inexperienced saw user, making it perfect for domestic around the house projects and as well as long-distance commercial projects.
Although some have said that the Porter-Cable PCC660B is noticeably less powerful than other cordless varieties it is still highly rated by domestic users and packs more than enough punch for the bast majority of timber jobs found around the house.
- High-performance motor of DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw delivers 4000 RPM's for aggressive cutting
- 6-1/2-inch carbide tooth blade of the cordless circular saw delivers a 2-1/8' cutting capacity for a variety of cutting applications
- Beveling shoe of the compact circular saw piviots up to 50 degrees for non-traditional cutting applications
- Contoured Overmolded Handle optimized for increased comfort
- 6.5lbs Compact Saw helps reduce jobsite fatigue
In at number four on our list we have the Black + Decker, 20V MAX 5-1/2-Inch Cordless Circular Saw with its powerful high torque motor and striking black and orange design. Another of the more affordable saws on our list, the Black + Decker BDCCS20C also comes with its battery included and is compatible with the entire Black + Decker 20V max system, making it a great item to add to your existing Black + Decker collection.
Although a little less powerful than some of the cordless circular saws on offer such as those from Makita and Milwaukee, the Black + Decker BDCCS20C has more than enough power to make light work of most domestic jobs and its adjustable bevel with detents at both 45 and 90 degrees makes it easy to cut angles accurately. The 5.5-inch fast running blade can cut easily through most domestic lumber jobs and its small size and lightweight design make it easy to use, transport and store.
With great features and a very affordable price tag, the Black + Decker BDCCS20C sits at the top of the affordable cordless circular saw list.
- Tool-free circular saw blade change
- Cordless circular saw with pivoting shoe for increased control
- Part of BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* System metal cutting circular saw
Last but not least is the DEWALT DCS570B, which already gets a lot of attention for its brilliant design. There’s a compactness to this circular saw that makes it easy for you to store in your home workshop, garage, or even under the front seat in your car. It weighs 7.5 lbs as well, so you know this is one of the best circular saws for portability!
This product comes with a brushless motor that gives the saw an impressive 5200rpm while cutting. But, what makes this different from a lot of other motors is that it maintains this rpm while under load. Essentially, this means you get a beautiful smooth cutting sensation whenever you saw through materials. The blade is 7 ¼ inch with an impressive 2 9/16 inch depth of cut. There’s also a bevel capacity of 57 degrees that allows for more versatility and means you can rotate and angle the saw to make different cuts. The design of the saw makes it so easy for you to hold and use. The handle feels comfortable in your hand, and there’s a brake to help you control the power of the saw while you use it. Overall, this makes you feel as though you have more control over everything you do.
Interestingly, the battery for this saw comes separately. But, it’s part of the DEWALT 20V MAX range, which means you get to choose any batteries from this range to fit the saw. As for the runtime, the manufacturer claims you can get 100 crosscuts out of it in one use. Again, the blade is made for cutting wood, and it will be great for both beginners and professionals alike.
- Power - Brushless motor of DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw provides 5500RPM maintaining speed under load
- Runtime - The cordless circular saw provides 330 crosscuts in 2x4 (pine)
- Capacity - 7-1/4-inch blade of the compact circular saw provides 2-9/16-inch cutting capacity at 90 degrees
- Ease of Use - Bevel capacity up to 57 degrees for increased versatility
For those on a budget, the Black + Decker BDCCS20C 20V MAX 5-1/2-Inch Cordless Circular Saw tops our list. With its battery coming included in the cost price, this saw offers the power needed to handle a variety of cutting jobs at an insanely affordable price. The adjustable bevel with detents at 45 and 90 degrees make this tool useful to both amateur and more professional circular saw users in both domestic and commercial scenarios and compatible with the rest of the Black + Decker collection you can save money when buying multiple tools.
For those looking for the best cordless circular saw on the market then the Makita XSHO3Z 18V LXT® Lithium‑Ion Brushless Cordless 6‑1/2″ Circular Saw is hard to beat. With its robust, professional design, super powerful motor and leading brand name the Makita is definitely a tool worth investing in and it will serve you well for many years to come.
Still not convinced you need a cordless circular saw? This video talks about the advantages of them over their corded counterparts: