When using a chainsaw, it should come as no surprise that safety is the number one priority. Tragic accidents have occurRed in the past due to poor safety measures, but there are a number of different ways to ensure that you’re safe when you use a chainsaw. For instance, chainsaw chaps are becoming very popular because they’re able to outright stop a chainsaw should it be struck. This will offer you an extra layer of protection that could potentially save your life if you experience an accident while using a chainsaw. Although it’s not a replacement for good safety practices, it’s a vital component for anyone that uses a chainsaw on a regular basis.
But which chainsaw pants should you buy and how much should you expect to pay? In this article, we’re going to talk about five of the best chainsaw chaps you can buy today so that you can stay safe and protected while you work.
Short on time? Our pick for the Best Chainsaw Chaps are the Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps.
The Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps are a basic and inexpensive pair of chainsaw chaps that come in a variety of different designs, colors and sizes. As an apron-style chainsaw chap, they fit around your legs much like an apron and are not full-sized pants. This means that they are worn on top of your existing clothes and strap on to your legs to protect them when you’re using a chainsaw.
For starters, these chaps meet ASTM F1893, OSHA 1910.266 and UL certifications, meaning they’re safe to use and will protect your legs should an accident occur. They’re also relatively comfortable to wear although they will likely increase your body temperature a little bit. This is one of the more common complaints about the Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps but the extra bit of heat is well-worth the safety they offer. Putting them on and taking them off is incredibly simple and they don’t limit your motion either.
For the price, these Forester chainsaw pants are a fantastic deal and come highly recommended. They have already saved many lives and they will continue to do so. However, we do suggest making sure that the chainsaw chaps you receive are as described as and are capable of protecting your legs. While they are fairly large, the clasp mechanism isn’t designed very well and can often make the chaps slide to the side, exposing a part of your leg to the chainsaw. While not the best option available, they will do a good job of protecting the front of your legs and that’s what’s important.
- Meets ASTM F1897, OSHA 1910.266, UL Certified
- Not suitable for use with electric chainsaws
- See description for sizing information
- "apron style" chaps protect front of both legs (most common injury area)
- Size:Regular 37" | Color:Orange
Although quite pricey, these Husqvarna chainsaw chaps are arguably best-in-class when it comes to safety. Available in a variety of sizes and meeting ASTM, ANSI and OSHA regulations, they’re used by hobbyists, enthusiasts and professional contractors all over the world due to their tried and tested reliability.
The Husqvarna chaps will protect not just the front of your legs, but also around the back as well due to their design. This provides extra protection around the entire leg to offer you more safety, but it does this without reducing your range of motion. You can easily move around, bend down and even climb hills with these chainsaw pants on. After a couple of minutes, they’ll feel like they aren’t even there anymore due to their comfort. They’re very easy to take off and put on and are adjustable to help ensure that your legs are protected all over. Another added advantage of these chaps is that they’ll easily protect you from debris while using your chainsaw, so you don’t need to worry about rips and tears from things like nettles and thorns.
Unfortunately, all this extra protection doesn’t come without a flaw. We feel that the Husqvarna chainsaw pants can be quite heavy and hot to wear. Although they’re comfortable after a while, you’re definitely going to feel the extra heat once you get into your workflow.
If you’re looking for a best-in-class solution that is used by professionals all over the country, then Husqvarna is a brand that you can trust. You’re going to save yourself a trip to the hospital with these on and it’s a small price to pay compared to the hospital fees you’ll end up with!
- 1000 denier polyester with PVC coating with Tek warp protective layers
- Adjustable waist size to 42 inches. Overall length is from the waist to the ankle
- Felling wedge/gear pocket and acetyl Delran buckles
- Meets ASTM f1897, ANSI z133.1, And OSHA regulation 1910-266
- Ul certified
When looking for a good pair of chainsaw chaps, it’s important that they don’t hinder your workflow and give you a full range of motion when using them. This is exactly what the Redneck Convent chainsaw pants are designed for. They’re easy to put on and take off, they don’t add a lot of heat to your legs and they don’t get in the way of your movement. They’re also certified for safety thanks to all of the standards and regulations they meet, offering you peace of mind when using them.
It’s easy to tell that these Redneck Convent chainsaw chaps have been designed with comfort in mind. After all, the last thing you want is to have your mobility hindered when using a pair of chaps and you want to be able to work without feeling like something strange is strapped to your legs. These chaps offer you a full range of motion and will protect you from thorns and nettles, and the adjustable waist belt clip will ensure that they’re a comfortable fit for your legs. You can tighten them if needed, or you can loosen them slightly if you feel that they’re a little too restrictive.
For the price, we can’t argue with what the Redneck Convent chainsaw pants are offering. If you’re looking to reduce the chances of suffering from an injury when using your chainsaw and are willing to spend more for your safety, then the Redneck Convent come at an excellent price. However, you should keep in mind that these are apron chaps that strap around the front of your leg, meaning they do not offer protection for the back of your legs for extra peace of mind.
- PROVIDES PROTECTION FOR YOUR LEGS: Redneck Convent 37 Inch Chainsaw Safety Chaps are the perfect chainsaw accessories for wood cutting, logging, weed eating, and trimming; These lightweight trimmer chaps are made of 1200 Denier Oxford Polyester to give you the ultimate chainsaw protective gear available; The weed eater chaps are designed to reduce the risk or severity of an injury, and give the operator extra reaction time when contact is made by a moving chain
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT AND DURABILITY: These cutting chaps for chainsaw protection are water and oil resistant; The saw chaps allow for a full range of motion, allowing you to maneuver on hilly, rocky, or sloping terrain; The waist belt allows you to adjust the size of these chain saw pants to fit waist sizes from 30” to 42”; This design allows you to adjust your chainsaw safety equipment for your most comfortable fit and to be fast and easy to put on and remove
- EASY TO USE: Your RC Logging Chaps are designed to be easy to put on; These weedeater chaps are designed with 1 large adjustable waist belt clip that can fit waist sizes from 30” to 42”, 2 smaller cinch clips are located down the back of the legs to give a tighter fit to the wearer; Please note that once product has been cut, chaps should be discarded and replaced; Further instructions and information available on back of RC Insert provided with chainsaw pants for men
- CERTIFIED FOR SAFETY: These chainsaw safety pants are classified by UL using ASTM Test Method F1414 in accordance with ASTM Standard F1897; The chain saw chaps are designed to meet Canada requirements, CAN/BNQ 1923-450-m91; Along with this, these leg chaps also meet part 8 of WorkSafeBC STANDARD
- CAUTION NOTICE: Chainsaw safety chaps are designed to reduce the risk of injury should the chainsaw chain caught on the protective chaps, however wearing safety chaps does not guarantee the operator complete safety; Protective clothing should not be used as a substitute for safe and responsible chainsaw operating procedures; These chaps are not suitable for chainsaw protection for use with electric chainsaws, due to the high-torque nature of electric motors
These Cold Creek Loggers chainsaw chaps are about as basic and generic as you can get, but they’re designed to protect you not score points at a fashion show. Although they’re very utilitarian in their design, they do come in a variety of different colors and do meet ASTM, OSHA and UL certifications for peace of mind. However, it should be noted that they are not designed to be used together with electric chainsaws! The chaps will protect the front of your legs and are not full-sized designed that also protect the front. If you’re looking for all-over chainsaw chaps, then you should look elsewhere.
However, that doesn’t compromise on their safety and comfort. They’re surprisingly light but do add a bit of heat to your body especially if you’re using them in hot conditions. Thankfully, they’re very easy to take off and put on so it won’t feel like a chore when you need to use them. They’re also adjustable, meaning you’re guaranteed to get a good fit if you pick the right length and size. The straps are also very secure and at no point will you feel like they’re simply going to come off. Range of movement is also surprisingly good and they won’t hinder you from working.
At this price, there’s little to complain about. This pair of Cold Creek Loggers chainsaw chaps are a solid choice and will protect your legs from accidents.
- Meets ASTM F1897, OSHA 1910.266, UL Certified Not suitable for use with electric chainsaws See description for sizing information "apron style" chaps protect front of both legs (most common injury area
The Jonsered Protective chainsaw pants are fairly standard; they’re an apron design which protects the front of your legs, it comes with a tool pocket and they’re ASTM and ANSI certified. The adjustable length means that you don’t need to worry too much about purchasing the wrong size and they’re fairly heavy for a pair of chainsaw chaps. This offers more peace of mind than other lightweight solutions but some people may find them a little too heavy for their liking. Although this doesn’t limit mobility much, it can be noticeable if you have to do a lot of walking in them.
The Jonsered Protective chainsaw chaps don’t protect the back of your legs which could be an issue if you’re looking for full-leg protection. However, they fit incredibly well and are comfortable to use for extended periods of time. Due to their heavy-duty quality, it can cause your legs to feel a little hot especially if you’re working in the heat, but this is the tradeoff for having superior protection.
Overall we do recommend the Jonsered Protective chainsaw chaps, but if you’re going to be very active while using a chainsaw (such as moving around, walking up and down hills) then you may want to pick something that’s a little lighter. However, if you just need a simple pair of protective chaps to keep your legs safe when you’re using a chainsaw, then there’s little reason to get a more expensive option unless you need protection for the back of