The Top 5 Cabinet Saws Reviewed
A cabinet table saw is ideal for someone with serious woodworking requirements. They are machines built for performance, stability, and longevity. Cabinet saws are suitable for professional woodworkers that need a tool that cuts even the thickest of wood without breaking a sweat. They are also perfect for those that want saws which don’t vibrate much and get continuously used all day long, every day!
With that in mind, and given the cost of cabinet saws, you want to make a worthwhile investment. The last thing you want is a saw that doesn’t meet your requirements or one that gives up working on the toughest of challenges. With that in mind, here are some of the best cabinet table saw reviews:
Best Cabinet Saws
Sporting a three horsepower motor, the SawStop PCS31230-TGP252 is powerful yet one of the quieter mid-range models on the market. It comes with a 52-inch professional T-Glide fence system constructed of high-grade steel, offering an expansive work surface and precision measurement.
It’s compatible with both eight-inch dado sets and ten-inch standard blades. This SawStop model features an intelligent safety system that detects when skin comes into contact with the blade. The saw stops via an aluminum brake, ensuring the impact of any injury is minimal.
If you wanted to customize the SawStop, there are some neat optional extras you can purchase with it. For example, there’s an overarm dust collection accessory that helps to trap and evacuate fine dust particles. In fact, the system collects up to 99% dust both above and below the table. And if you wanted to move the SawStop with ease around your workshop, there’s an optional integrated mobile base you can use with it. The SawStop requires a 220-volt power supply from your workshop.
● Produces precision cuts;
● Has an innovative safety mechanism.
● It’s one of the more expensive table saws on the market;
● Useful optional extras will bump up the price.
- 52-INCH T-GLIDE FENCE ASSEMBLY: The 52-inch T-Glide Fence & Rail are made of heavy-gauge steel for sure lockdown and reliably square cutting for years without deflection.
- SAWSTOP PATENTED SAFETY SYSTEM: Stops a spinning blade on contact with skin. The blade stops in less than 5 milliseconds, and drops below the table, minimizing a potentially life-altering injury to a mere scratch.
- UNMATCHED QUALITY: The trunnion and arbor are built for precision, strength and stability. The gas piston elevation delivers smooth and easy adjustability. Table flatness is measured diagonally at 0. 010” maximum gap.
- DUST COLLECTION: 99% dust collection is delivered above the table with the included dust collection blade guard, and below the table with advanced shrouding around the blade. Available Overarm Dust Collection (Model # TSA-ODC, sold separately) routes dust away from the blade and into the 4” port.
- RELIABILITY: The Control Box houses the on-off switch, power paddle, and on-board computer, and constantly checks that all systems are working to reliably keep you safe.
Another accurate saw that’s on offer is the Powermatic PM1000 1791001K. As standard, it comes with a 1.75 horsepower electric motor. One welcome feature of the Powermatic is that it works on standard wall current (115v). That means you won’t have to spend any extra money getting a 220v power supply installed in your workshop!
The construction of the Powermatic feels solid and weighty. It boasts a blade surround and collection hose, offering a clear and unobstructed path, and it maximizes dust collection. The Powermatic also comes with a sturdy miter gauge which pivots to 60-degree angles at either side. What that means is you have a plethora of adjustment options, and ultimately provides you with a full range of cuts.
● Solid construction that offers accurate cuts;
● Operates on a standard 115v wall current.
● 1.75 horsepower motor can feel underpowered at times;
● Lack of easy mobility around the workshop.
- PRECISION-GROUND CAST IRON WORK SURFACE: Features a beveled edge for smoother operation.
- POLY-V BELT DRIVE SYSTEM: Reduces vibration and maximizes efficiency.
- MITER GAUGE PIVOTS 60° LEFT/RIGHT: Allows easy adjustment for a full range of cuts.
- ARBOR LOCK: One-handed blade changes with minimal tools.
- EXCLUSIVE ACCU-FENCE SYSTEM: Provides rigidity and precision.
The brand name might sound a little scary, but the Grizzly Industrial G1023RL is perhaps the most friendliest-looking cabinet table saw out there! With a three horsepower motor as standard, this gentle giant of a machine will take care of almost anything you throw at it! For a start, it features a heat-treated solid cast iron table. And because the table is perfectly flat, you will always get those precision cuts you need.
The table also has two extension “wings”, measuring a total of 40 inches by 27 inches. Other features include a serpentine belt drive and encapsulated dust collection system. There’s also a quick-release blade guard, offering a quick change between riving knife and the splitter guard. Arbor movement is also surprisingly easy, thanks in part to the extra-large hand wheels. When it comes to safety, a magnetic safety switch is included as standard.
● Professional cabinet table saw with a beefy three horsepower motor;
● Can accept dado blades up to 13/16”.
● Requires a 240-volt power supply system;
● No easy way to wheel it around your workshop.
- Motor: 3HP, 240V, single-phase, 14A, 3450 RPM
- Solid cast iron table is first heat treated for strength then milled perfectly flat & ground to a mirror-like finish
- Table size (with 2 solid extension wings attached) is 40" x 27"
- Table has T-slots so your miter gauge will not fall off the table when retracted
- 5/8" diameter arbor is long enough to accept dado blades up to 13/16"
The Baileigh TS-1248P-52 is an absolute beast of a cabinet table saw! Because of its size, you will need help with both setting up and locating the saw. One of the biggest selling points of the Baileigh is the fact it comes with a Leeson five horsepower motor. As you might expect, it requires a 220v single-phase electricity supply.
Featuring a 48-inch by 30-inch table, it offers a 52-inch maximum rip cut. It boasts industrial-strength rip fence rails and has a digital readout display for the blade title angle. Thanks to the powerful five horsepower motor, you can cut even the most challenging of wood thicknesses with ease.
Because of its size and weight, you may wish to invest in a mobile base to make moving it around your workshop easier.
● Five horsepower electric motor is an excellent choice for the serious woodworker;
● Has a solid cast iron table.
● You will need to power the motor with a 240-volt power supply system;
● Getting it off the pallet can be challenging.
- Leeson motor
- Industrial rip fence rails with rip fence Digital Readout display
- Digital Readout for blade tilt angle
- 52" rip width, table extension includes lower shelf
- Large 5hp motor
Last, but not least, there is the Shop Fox W1851. It comes with a two horsepower electric motor that you can run on either 110v or 220v (it’s wired up for the latter). The cast iron table size with extension wings measures 27 inches by 55 inches. The Shop Fox comes with a dual position (i.e., high and low) extruded aluminum rip fence.
When it comes to safety, the Shop Fox has an innovative transparent blade guard complete with internal airflow channel and a dust port. It also offers anti-kickback mechanisms for added peace of mind.
● Can work on both 110v or 220v power supplies;
● Solid cast iron table supports wood of almost any weight.
● You’ll need a conversion kit if you want to use a 110v power supply;
● Can take a while to assemble.
- Motor: 2 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, TEFC (Pre-Wired for 220V)
- Blade tilt: left, 0°–45°
- Table size with extension: 27" X 55"
- Precision-ground cast-iron table and extension wings
- Dual-position (high-low) extruded-aluminum rip fence
What to look for in a new cabinet table saw
Let’s face it: a table saw for cabinet making or other woodworking needs doesn’t come cheap. In fact, it’s likely you will need to spend thousands of dollars buying one. But, what you are paying for is power, speed, and precision. Cabinet saws are built to last and aren’t like cheap saws you can buy from a local hardware store. Cabinet table saws are professional tools designed for skilled woodworkers.
This video gives great advice for those who are buying a table saw:
It doesn’t matter if you’re buying a cabinet saw for the first time or to add to your existing collection. It’s vital you know what to look for before handing over any money. So, how do you choose the best cabinet saw for your needs? Before you review the best cabinet saws on the market, you should first find out more on the key specifications to check on each model:
You want a cabinet table saw because you need to cut through thick pieces of wood on a regular basis. To achieve that goal, you need a model that has a powerful motor. Models that boast one to two horsepower can easily cut through wood up to two inches thick. If you need to cut through thicker wood, you’ll need a saw with a minimum of three horsepower.
Cabinet saw stability
By their nature, cabinet table saws are very, very heavy machines. When you buy one and have it delivered, it’ll turn up on a few pallets. That should give you an idea of the weight and size of these things! Cabinet saws contain several hundreds of pounds of metal, and that’s what helps make them stable. They aren’t easy to move around your workshop, so if you want a portable device then you should reconsider a different type of saw product instead.
Accuracy and precision
Another advantage of cabinet saws is their precision cuts. Because they are big, heavy, and powerful machines, they will make perfect cuts in even the thickest of wood. When selecting a model for your needs, ensure it offers features that reduce vibrations. After all; there’s no point spending four-figure sums on a tool that doesn’t do its job well!
Dust collection and extraction
It goes without saying that saws create a lot of dust whenever they cut through wood. As you might expect with a cabinet saw, they will generate plenty of wood dust when sawing through thick wood. Check that the models you’re interested in have decent dust collection and extraction systems. Bear in mind that not all models offer any kind of dust collection; they are what you would say is an “optional extra.”
Although most cabinet saws come with a blade as standard, the blade offered might not be right for your needs. When reviewing different cabinet saws, check that they support the size of blades you require for your woodworking projects.
You need to remember that table cabinet saws aren’t the safest of saws to use. It’s not because they are inferior products, but rather they don’t offer much protection when in use. That’s why they only get used by professionals. The best cabinet saw you get must have an easily accessible kill switch that you can press if things go wrong. Some models even have a hands-off kill switch.