If you’re a carpenter by trade, or you’ve got a healthy interest in woodwork, being able to cut and smooth down your wood pieces to a perfect finish is a crucial part of the job. And that’s where a good jointer comes in; if you’re pushed for space in your workshop, or you want to get your hands on something that’s lightweight and easy to move, a benchtop jointer is the solution you’ve been looking for.
But with the low amount of options currently on the market, we know it can be hard to know which model to invest in, and whether or not you’re going to get proper value for money. Will the pros outweigh the cons once you’ve spent your cash?
Safety tips and buying guides aside, you want to get into the details about what makes a good jointer, and what names you should be on the lookout for while you shop. So, to better help you come to the right workshop decision, we’ve collected our 5 top picks for the best benchtop jointer below.
The WEN 13” 3-Blade Benchtop Thickness Planer repurposes rough and worn wood to give it an exceptionally smooth finish. The powerful 15-AMP motor provides over 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 ft. per minute feed rate. It can plane boards up to 13” wide and 6” thick with ease. The onboard planning gauge helps inform users about the amount of material being removed during each pass. Combine that with the heavy-duty cast iron base for a sturdy planer that does not walk or wobble during operation.
It uses a tri-roller feeding system to help minimize snipe. The three dual-edged blades on the middle roller can be reversed to help elongate their life cycle and ensure sharp cuts. The three-blade design makes easy work out of even the hardest of woods. While the fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from your workpiece. The handy depth adjustment knob varies each pass to take off anywhere from 0 to 3/32 of an inch.
The fan-assisted dust port removes chips and sawdust from the workpiece and blasts them out of the way. Attach a dust extraction device or a wet/dry vac to the handy 2”, 2-1/2”, or 4” fan-assisted dust port adapter to minimize cleanup by keeping all of the sawdust and shavings in one place instead of all over the workshop floor. Easily adjust the height of your planer with the comfortable rubber-grip adjustment handle.
Each quarter rotation adjusts the height of the cutter head 1/64 of an inch for maximum precision during operation. It also includes height-adjustable infeed and outfeed tables to add support to longer workpieces traveling through the planer. Both tables can be adjusted to get the perfect angle for smoothly feeding boards and fighting snipe.
Limit snipe while providing extra support to your workpiece during planning. Easily mount the planer to a work surface or stand using the predrilled base holes.
Because it’s a WEN product, this planer comes backed by a nationwide network of skilled service technicians, a helpful customer support line, and a two-year warranty. Remember when your planer could handle even the hardest of woods.
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 in. T and 13 in. W
- 15 Amp motor generates 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 ft. per minute feed rate
- 3-blade design makes easy work out of even the hardest of woods
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from workpiece
The table on this jointer is larger than most you would find on a benchtop, which makes it a good contender for bigger and thicker projects you might need to get on with in your workshop. There’s a good set screw system to this piece on top of this, allowing for stability in your adjustments, and keeping any mishaps or drops in the fence mechanism to a minimum. The blades can also be easily removed and sharpened, and then refitted, to ensure you’re always getting a clean cut. The Porter Cable knives aren’t too hard to replace either, if you’re ever in need of doing so.
A clear 90-degree cut can be easily achieved by this machine, and adjusting to fit something bigger or smaller is an easy feat. You can also adjust and lock the speed of this unit, as and when needs be – between 6000 and 11000 RPM is a tidy sum for such a small unit, and would work rather well for your material needs.
- Variable 6, 000 to 11, 000 RPM speed range allows the user to select the right speed for the size and hardness of material being cut
- Two knife cutter head with jack screw knife leveling arrangement for easy replacement and adjustment of knives
- Built-in cutter head lock facilitates knife replacement and adjustment
- Extra large table provides ample work support and Surfacing stock up to a full 6" wide
- Center mounted fence gives needed support throughout the cut for accurate edge jointing
This benchtop jointer is also rather small, allowing to be used in homes and own workshops that really are pushed for space. Even if you only have a section of room that’s a foot or so wide each way, you’ll be able to work with this piece quite well. The machine allows for a 6-inch wide cut, which is great for anyone with a casual interest in woodworking or carpentering, alongside allowing you the freedom to take your crafts one from level of material to the next.
Craftsmen also take care to make and manufacture replacement blades as and when they are needed, and can be bought directly from the brand themselves. It won’t be hard to keep this benchtop jointer running for longevity, and promises good value for money in the long run. Not to mention how well presented the piece is itself, with a good weight and a good paint finish that any workshop would be happy to show off.
And above all else, the Craftsman brand is known for quality in every machine they put on the market, so you can be sure this unit comes with a seal of approval from the woodworking sector at large.
- 10 amp benchtop Jointer features a variable speed range of 6, 000 to 11, 000 RPM and cutter head speed of 12, 000 to 22, 000 cuts per minute, allowing selection correct speed for material's size and hardness. Two-knife cutter head, with jackscrew knife leveling arrangement and built-in cutter head lock, allows for easy knife replacement and adjustment. Jointer is ideal for edging, flattening, or face jointing.
- Variable speed: range of 6, 000 to 11, 000 RPM allows the user to select the right speed for the size and hardness of material
- Easy replacement and knife adjustments: two-knife cutter head with jackscrew knife leveling arrangement allows for easy replacement and adjustment of knives
- Accurate cutting: center-mounted fence gives needed support throughout the cut for accurate edge jointing
- Hard and soft surfaces: heavy duty 10 amp motor provides power for hard and soft woods
At about 48 lbs, Wahuda Tools’ 6-inch Benchtop Jointer is a perfect fit for smaller workshops while still conveniently movable on a job site. It has a 30-inch end-to-end total table length and a depth of just over 17 inches with a height of a little over 13 inches. With its compact size, it makes for an ideal jointer for smaller woodworking needs. For larger jobs or worksites Wahuda also has 8- and 10-inch models.
They all feature a unique spiral cutter head, low noise operation, longer-lasting blades, hassle-free adjustments. Set up is user-friendly and they’re conveniently movable.
The spiral cutter head has 4-sided carbide inserts for sharper and quieter cutting precision, and the standard blade size also allows for a cost-effective and simple replacement. Wahuda Tools jointers are powered with a 120V motor with a fixed 12,000 RPM for capable and steady performance. They can handle edging, jointing, flattening, or tapering no matter the surface. Solidly built, adjustable and expandable cast iron tables enhance stability even when working on longer, larger pieces, with a fence that tilts from 90 and 135° for versatility.
- No More Cupped Woods. Create perfectly flat surfaces and edges quickly and hassle-free with the Wahuda Jointers. Experience smoother and accurate cuts even on tough or figured woods w/ Wahuda Tools.
- Cutting-Edge Sharpness. Our spiral cutterhead has 4-sided carbide inserts for sharper and quieter cutting precision. The standard blade size also allows for a cost-effective and simple replacement.
- Capable Steady Performance. Wahuda Jointers are powered with a 120V motor with a fixed 12,000 RPM. They are fully capable of handling edging, jointing, flattening, or tapering no matter the surface!
- Solid Built For Your Convenience. Our adjustable and expandable cast iron tables enhance stability even when working on longer, larger pieces, with a fence that tilts from 90 &135° for versatility.
- Perfect For Job Sites Or Small Shops. Depending on your needs or your shop’s size, Wahuda Tools have 6, 8, and 10-inch wood jointers that will do the job right. They’re conveniently movable, too!
Once again, cast iron tables and cast-iron fences are present, meaning it’s a strong, heavyweight unit that’ll sit no matter where you need it or what you’re putting through it. It might be a little heavy to try and move about freely, but it more than makes up for its portability in the quality of the wood you get out of it.
Most of all, the motor moves smoothly and sharply, no matter the type of wood being pushed or processed through it, and pieces up to 6 inches are no trouble to smooth and shape to your needs. Want to put a piece of rough-cut wood through the blades? You’ll be able to come out the other side with a piece of wood that’s silk-like in texture.
Little adjustment is needed straight out of the box, and when the time comes for blade adjustment, they’re easy to refit, and any replacement blades or screws are very easy to come by. The blades come pre-packaged quite sharp, so no worries there either.
- Motor: 1-1/2 horsepower, 110V, 12 amp, single-phase
- Cutter head speed: 10,000 RPM, 20,000 cuts per minute
- Two-knife HSS cutter head provides clean cuts, fully adjustable aluminum fence with stops
- 2-1/2-inch dust port keeps work area clear of dust
- Includes free pair of safety push blocks, built-in mini impeller-driven dust collection fan and collection bag.Cutterhead diameter: 1-7/8 inch
How To Use A Benchtop Jointer
This Youtube video demonstrates how to properly use a jointer:
- Best Gutter Cleaning Tools
- Best Benchtop Jointers
- Best Finish Nailers
- Best Gutter Cleaning Tools
- best screwdriver set