An axe may seem like a rather traditional choice when you consider the range of high-powered tools on the market, but a good axe is still a must-have item. Suitable for chipping, cutting or splitting timber, there are still a range of uses for a high-quality axe.
Whether you’re preparing wood for use in a fire or log-burner, clearing land, cutting logs for craftwork or want to be fully prepared when you go camping, having the right axe is essential.
A single-bit axe, the Husqvarna A2400 27” Composite Multi-Purpose Axe is a powerful universal axe for various needs, including contractor or forest work. The fiber-reinforced Pa shaft makes the axe durable and robust and excellent weight distribution. It features a drop-forged blade and head that is geometry adapted to different applications for an easy entry into the wood and the best splitting performance.
With no assembly required, Husqvarna composite axes feature a hammer function and shaft protection for easy and effective use of splitting wedges (no steel wedges). The long handle gives you extra power when you swing the axe, so it’s ideal for felling trees and dealing with larger pieces of wood. Whilst it can be a useful companion when camping or backpacking, the longer handle may make it slightly more difficult to transport. But overall, it’s a great all-rounder.
Forged from Swedish axe steel, Husqvarna maintains their axes are built to last for a long time, so you should be able to rely on this 27” model to carry you through a number of projects. One of the most well-known axe manufacturers in the world, the Husqvarna A2400 27” Composite Multi-Purpose Axe may not be the cheapest axe on the market, but it’s worth the price tag if you need a handy multi-purpose tool for regular use.
- Powerful Universal Axe For Various Needs, Including Contractor Or Forest Work
- Fiber-Reinforced Pa Shaft Makes The Axe Durable And Robust
- Hammer Function For An Easy And Effective Use Of Splitting Wedges (No Steel Wedges)
- No Assembly Required
The Fiskars Iso Core 8lb 36” axe is routinely considered to be one of the best on the market. Designed for splitting or driving face, the Fiskars Iso Core delivers a whole lot of power. If you’re cutting large logs or felling trees, the Fiskars Iso Core should be your go-to tool. Its long handle ensures you can get enough power behind each swing, whilst the optimized blade gives you the best cut, every time.
With heavy-duty construction, the Fiskars Iso Core will stand the test of time, regardless of how often it’s used. At just over 10lbs, it may not be the most portable of tools, but its one of the more lightweight mauls on the market. Needless to say, this isn’t the tool for you if you’re looking for a camping companion or an axe to prepare kindling, but if you want to split logs fast and fell trees in an instant, the Fiskars Iso Core will give you everything you need.
Although Fiskars deliver when it comes to high-quality tools, they offer much, much more. Their patented IsoCore Shock Control System absorbs vibrations and strike shocks, so your body takes less of the strain. Typically, wooden handles transfer twice as much shock as the IsoCore Shock Control System, so it’s easy to see why Fiskars is such a popular brand.
In addition to this, their high-performance handles offer comfort and increased accuracy, as well as improved safety. Easy-to-grip, the Fiskars Iso Core features a textured and slightly flared handle. This helps you to keep your grip through swings and ensures minimal movement.
At just over $50, it’s hard to argue against the Fiskars Iso Core maul axe. With exceptional durability and strength, as well as a lifetime warranty, you’re guaranteed to get more than you pay for with this tool. Perfect for homeowners and professionals, the Fiskars Iso Core has got to be one of the best axes out there.
- Ideal for splitting wood (splitting face) or driving wedges and stakes (driving face)
- Optimized blade geometry offers better penetration and blasts tough logs apart
- Patented IsoCore Shock Control System absorbs strike shock and vibration to reduce the punishment your body takes, transferring 2X less shock and vibration than wood handles
- Inseparable riveted head will not slide down or snap off, even when swinging with maximum force
- Full lifetime. Forged, heat-treated steel is finished with a rust-resistant coating. Softgrip handle features a sculpted profile to fit the natural shape of your hand
Snow & Neally claim that this 27-1/2″ single bit axe is their very best, providing the right size for the job. This ersatile & practical axe is ideal for a variety of everyday task. It works well on fence posts, garden stakes, limbing a felled tree, and all sorts of other practical jobs around the home and campsite. Ground on stone wheels, it has a factory edge like no other axe on the market today. Further, it’s tempered in fires to produce a hardness to the tool that you can’t find on any other axe. With an overall length of 28-3/16” and overall weight of 3.4lbs, It’s cmall enough to be practical for all jobs, yet big enough to get the job done. This Snow & Neally axe comes with a brown leather blade guard and the classic, sturdy, and trustworthy American Hickory handle.
- Snow & Nealley "our best" 2-1/4 lb. Single bit axe is a versatile utility axe that works well on fence posts, garden stakes, limbing a felled tree, and all sorts of other practical jobs around the home and campsite.
- Ground on stone wheels, it has a factory edge like no other axe on the market today. Tempered in fires to produce a hardness to the tool that you can't find on any other axe.
- Small enough to be practical for all jobs, yet big enough to get the job done.
- Overall length: 28 3/16"
- Overall weight: 3 lb., 3.6 oz
Founded in the 17th century, Fiskars has been producing high-quality tools for centuries, and it certainly shows in this X15 Chopping Axe. Built from steel, the X15 Chopping Axe is an all-purpose tool, and ideal for use in the garden or out camping. 23.5” in size, the Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe is sturdy enough for felling trees, yet portable enough to take with you when you’re backpacking. Weighing just 3.6lbs, it’s lightweight and easy to transport too.
Whilst the X15 is advertised as a chopping axe, it’s superb for felling trees too. In fact, many users have switched from longer-handled axes to the Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe simply because of it’s ability to fell trees, despite its shorter handle. The power-to-weight ratio is designed to increase swing speed and maximize power, so you can rely on the Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe to get the job done without requiring too much exertion.
The FiberComp handle is shock-absorbing, so you won’t feel as much impact when its in use, and it prevents overstrike damage too. With a handle that’s lightweight and easy-to-hold, the fact that its stronger than steel seals the deal. Delivered with a plastic sheath for safety and a lifetime warranty, the functionality and quality of the Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe has seen owners hail it as the best axe they’ve ever used.
Available for under $40 in a black and orange design, the Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe delivers an awful lot for a relatively small outlay. Suitable for a range of projects and uses, if you’re only going to buy one axe, the Fiskars X15 Chopping should probably be it.
- Ideal for felling trees
- Chops deeper with each swing to get more done faster
- Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat
- Shock-absorbing FiberComp handle is lightweight yet stronger than steel to prevent overstrike damage
- Lifetime warranty
The Estwing Camper’s Axe E6-25A 14″ Hatchet with Forged Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip should be top of your list if you want something light enough to take out camping, but strong enough to deliver premium power. Constructed from American steel and forged in one piece, the Estwing Camper’s Axe is certainly high-quality. With increased durability, Estwing prides themselves on their long-lasting tools, and it’s hard to see how anything could put a dent in this handy tool.
As well as being hardwearing, the Estwing Camper’s Axe is supremely versatile, which is just what you need when you’re hitting the trails or camping overnight. Whether you need to split kindling and firewood or chop logs, branches, and even small trees, the Estwing Camper’s Axe will deliver. With a hand-sharpened cutting-edge of 3.5”, you’ll be able to make precise cuts and slice through logs quickly and efficiently.
Furthermore, Estwing’s patented shock reduction grip makes their Camper’s Axe easy to hold and comfortable to use. Reducing impact vibration by up to 70%, you’ll find that the Estwing Camper’s Axe takes the strain and places far less impact on your body than other comparable models produced by other manufacturers.
As well as chopping through wood and cutting through logs, the Estwing Camper’s Axe will come in handy when you’re putting up your tent too. It features a useful tent stake puller notch, so it will come in handy whether you’re setting up your campsite in dense woodland or camping out overnight in your backyard!
Priced at around $35and designed to last for generations, the Estwing Camper’s Axe is a great tool, particularly at such a low price. Whilst its small size ensures it’s perfect for taking with you on the trails, it’s strong enough to pack a punch. With a weight of just 2.25lb, you’ll find the Estwing Camper’s Axe perfect for outdoor adventures.
- FORGED IN ONE PIECE – The most durable, longest lasting striking tools available
- OUTDOOR VERSITILITY - Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH - Includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge
- PATENTED SHOCK REDUCTION GRIP – Comfortable, durable & reduces impact vibration by 70%
- MADE IN THE USA – Our tools are proudly crafted in Rockford, IL using the finest American steel
Overview Of Axe Types
Here is a great video showing the different types of axes, and the advantages of each: