Bench hooks are simple appliances used for workbenches, typically used by woodworking enthusiasts to hold their work in place as they cut with a saw. This can help make the process much safer and more accurate for the person doing the woodworking.
If you are a woodworker looking for bench hooks to use in your shop, you will be glad to know that there are a number of products available that can help you comfortably and safely hold your projects down so you can work on them accurately and with safety in mind. How do you know which ones are the right ones to consider, though?
Luckily for you, we have done the heavy lifting for you and researched some of the top options online, so you can get all of your projects done with confidence. Take a look to see what our top picks are for the best bench hooks you can buy now.
Best Bench Hooks Comparison Table
|1. Academy Essdee: Lino Bench Hook: 300x400mm
|2. INOVART Bench Hook Inking Plate
|3. Jack Richeson Metal Linoleum Block Stop Ink Plate
|4. POWERTEC 71528 8-Inch Workbench Holdfast Woodworking Clamps – Set of 2
|5. Faithfull FAIBHOOK Bench Hooks
Our Best Bench Hooks Reviews and Comparisons
1. Academy Essdee: Lino Bench Hook: 300x400mm
This bench hook from Academy Essdee is an affordable bench hook used to help keep your workspace tidy and safe for working on your projects. Weighing in at a mere 2.49 pounds, it is light enough to comfortably place on your workspace and durable enough to withstand any project you might be able to throw at it.
- Able to provide protection for your work surface.
- Great for schools teaching woodworking projects.
What We Like About Academy Essdee: Lino Bench Hook: 300x400mm
This bench hook is a very versatile one and is able to be used by either right-handed or left-handed folks with ease and comfort. Thanks to the holes on the sidebar of the bench hook, it can easily be switched over to accommodate left-handed usage. It is also highly affordable, making it simple to incorporate into your setup without breaking the bank.
What We Don’t Like About Academy Essdee: Lino Bench Hook: 300x400mm
The Academy Essdee is a fine bench hook that gets the job done. However, it might be too small for some projects, being a mere 300x400mm in dimension. Potential buyers might also want to pick one up while they can, as this particular bench hook seems to go out of stock quite often.
- The simple left-handed usability makes this bench hook a good option for left-handed woodworkers.
- This bench hook can be picked up without breaking the bank thanks to its affordability.
- Thanks to its lightweight, it can be easily picked up and moved if needed.
- It can be a great addition to a school workshop.
- This product is typically low on stock thanks to demand.
- Its smaller size might not be ideal for every project.
2. INOVART Bench Hook Inking Plate
This bench hook from INOVART is a highly affordable and simple to use bench hook. It can be very easily fitted over a table or a desk and is multi-purpose. It can be used as an inking plate as well as a bench hook, giving it the versatility you won’t find in similar options.
What We Like About INOVART Bench Hook Inking Plate
We really liked how versatile this bench hook can be – able to act as an inking plate as well as allowing the functionality of a normal bench hook. It is very easy to find due to being in stock constantly, and it is very light on the wallet. It’s made of galvanized metal that is virtually unbreakable, making it extremely durable for all your projects.
What We Don’t Like About INOVART Bench Hook Inking Plate
Like some other options for bench hooks, it can be too small for some projects. Its smaller size can also be a negative when doing color mixing.
- Virtually indestructible thanks to how it is made.
- Highly affordable.
- Fits right over a desk or table for ease of use.
- Can be used as a bench hook or an inking plate.
- This product might be a little too small to effectively work on some projects.
- The choice of color is limited.
3. Jack Richeson Metal Linoleum Block Stop Ink Plate
Like the INOVART, this product from Jack Richeson is also able to be used as both a bench hook and an inking plate. This versatility makes its affordability that much better, and it also offers a bit of a bigger size than the competition in this list, coming in at 7.5 x 10.25 for your work area.
What We Like About Jack Richeson Metal Linoleum Block Stop Ink Plate
Versatility is nice to see in any product, and this one delivers in spades. Thanks to its bigger size, it can also be used in a wider array of projects than some of the other bench hooks on this list. Weighing in at a mere 16 ounces, it is also very light and easy to carry.
What We Don’t Like About Jack Richeson Metal Linoleum Block Stop Ink Plate
If you are someone who is into a choice of different colors for your bench hooks, you might not like the fact that this one is only available in black.
- Light and simple to transport throughout your shop.
- Bigger work area than other products on this list.
- Versatile – able to be used as either a bench hook or an inking surface.
- Sturdy and well-engineered for durability.
- Only one choice of color – black.
- If you prefer a smaller bench hook, this one might not be the right choice for you.
4. POWERTEC 71528 8-Inch Workbench Holdfast Woodworking Clamps – Set of 2
A different approach to bench hooks, these act as clamps that keep your wood held down for safe and efficient working. Coming in a set of two, you will be able to confidently work on your projects safely and with confidence.
What We Like About POWERTEC 71528 8-Inch Workbench Holdfast Woodworking Clamps
These clamps are able to hold down your boards with ease. This allows you to saw, drill, finish, and more without worrying about safety risks. These clamps are also quite affordable, allowing you to get the assistance you need without breaking the bank.
What We Don’t Like About POWERTEC 71528 8-Inch Workbench Holdfast Woodworking Clamps
The product description is not accurate – these clamps are made of iron, not forged steel. They might also not work properly with thicker boards, making them a better option for thinner woodworking projects.
- Affordable – you get a set of two clamps for the price.
- Sturdy – able to hold down your boards safely so you can get to work.
- Very easy to clamp onto your project.
- Light – each clamp comes out to just under 3 pounds.
- The description is inaccurate – these are made of iron, not steel.
- These clamps might not work properly with larger boards.
5. Faithfull FAIBHOOK Bench Hooks
These bench hooks from Faithfull are very light, made of beech wood, durable, and simple to use in all of your projects. Take safety into account with this simple to use bench hook that will provide durability and stability in your woodworking.
What We Like About Faithfull FAIBHOOK Bench Hooks
Anyone who is looking for a very sturdy and durable bench hook will appreciate the simplicity of the Faithfull FAIBHOOK. It is extremely light, weighing in at only 3.52 ounces. Due to its smaller size, it is simple to transport and use in all of your projects. They can also be comfortably used by right or left-handed people.
What We Don’t Like About Product Name
Compared to other bench hooks on this list, these are quite pricey in comparison. The finish that arrives in the actual package is also different from the photos shown on the listing.
- Very light and easy to carry.
- Able to be used easily no matter which hand is your dominant one.
- Very sturdy – holds down projects as advertised.
- Made out of a nice finish of beech wood.
- Pricey when compared to other bench hooks.
- The finish that arrives might not be what is pictured.
All in all, out of this list, there is one recommendation that stands out more than others, and in our opinion, that is the INOVART Bench Hook Inking Plate. Due to its very low price, its sturdiness, and versatility, we can happily recommend it to anyone who is wanting to work on their projects without spending a bunch of money on bench hooks.
Hopefully, this list has helped you in making a decision on the best bench hooks for you. Pick the one that works the best for you and your budget, and you will be safely and confidently working on your projects with ease.
You May Also Like: Fly Tying Bench Plans